Summer Travel

arncap

Going to be spending a total of 29 nights in Thailand from August and September of this summer. The first week will be a family vacation on Koh Samui. The final 3 weeks will be my 4-year son and me. We haven't made any plans after the initial week but my hope was to do some traveling this time around. I would love to explore some of the more local areas, rather than the typical tourist destinations. For example, I think it would be neat to check out the southern part of the country immediately following our time in Koh Samui. Then maybe fly to Bangkok and head up through Isaan in the northeast.

If those of you with a lot of experience in traveling or living in Thailand have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks...

• 4 weeks later...
After you leave Samui how will you be traveling? Will you rent a car or take local transport, bus, train?

Thanks for your response and sorry for my slow reply.

After we leave Samui, we don't have any plans in regards to where we'll go or the mode of transport we'll be using. We definitely won't be driving. We'll either be using buses, trains, (ferries if and where necessary), and maybe flying.

Most likely we'll leave Koh Samui on ferry and head towards Suratthani. From there, we'll have to decide which direction to head in and what mode of transport to use. While it would be easiest to "backpack" our way around, we'll probably have a large suitcase or two to deal with one way or another.

There are so many options! Southern Thailand, Phuket, Pattaya, Krabi, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and Isaan. I would love to explore but I also want to avoid areas that tend to be dangerous.

After you leave Samui how will you be traveling? Will you rent a car or take local transport, bus, train?

Thanks for your response and sorry for my slow reply.

After we leave Samui, we don't have any plans in regards to where we'll go or the mode of transport we'll be using. We definitely won't be driving. We'll either be using buses, trains, (ferries if and where necessary), and maybe flying.

Most likely we'll leave Koh Samui on ferry and head towards Suratthani. From there, we'll have to decide which direction to head in and what mode of transport to use. While it would be easiest to "backpack" our way around, we'll probably have a large suitcase or two to deal with one way or another.

There are so many options! Southern Thailand, Phuket, Pattaya, Krabi, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, and Isaan. I would love to explore but I also want to avoid areas that tend to be dangerous.

Check out the rainy season as it will affect your holiday. Sept pretty wet in Phuket / Krabi if my memory serves me correct.

Check out the rainy season as it will affect your holiday. Sept pretty wet in Phuket / Krabi if my memory serves me correct.

I am aware of the fact that most of northern Thailand gets loads of rainfall in Aug./Sept. I also know that the Phuket area gets the monsoons during that time. While I know it's not a great time for travel, when going for a month we have limited flexibility and it has to be Aug./Sept.

I am going to try and not let the weather control our trip and travel. Maybe easier said than done! Any suggestions? Bangkok isn't so wet at that time but maybe best avoided?

we don't have any plans in regards to where we'll go or the mode of transport we'll be using. We definitely won't be driving. We'll either be using buses, trains, (ferries if and where necessary), and maybe flying.

when not flying, I'd recommend taking the train. It's safe, economical, and gives you a chance to see a different part of the country.

If you don't book a first class car, go for a second class sleeper in an air conditioned car.

• 1 month later...
As you are referring to "we" as in both decide) and "two large suitcases" I guess you mistyped the age of your son: he is 14 and not 4?

To confirm, yes, my son is 4, not 14. Young but energetic!