Bus Rapid Transit To Be Launched On 15 May

webfact

Bus Rapid Transit to be launched on 15 May

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) plans to commence the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) service on 15 May on the Chong Nonsi–Ratchapruek Line to alleviate traffic problem during the new school term.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Thirachon Manomaipibul said the BRT would be officially put in service for free of charge from 15 May until 31 August 2010. The 20-seat buses are made compatible for wheelchairs with a full capacity of 80 passengers.

From 1 September to 31 December 2010, the fare will be collected at a flat rate of 10 THB to promote the BRT. The rate will be adjusted to be in accordance with the distance after 1 January 2011, ranging from 12-20 THB.

All 25 buses are equipped with full traffic navigation and computerized pilot systems for precise timing of departure and arrival. Mr Thirachon added that the BRT was hoped to help ease traffic congestion in Bangkok as the new school semester was approaching.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-04-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Really? I live right at at intersection of Naratiwat and Satorn and have been watching this BRT being build now for seems like 5 years. It's been a very slow moving project yet in the last month there has been quite a lot of movement and progress but opening in two weeks, I just don't see it. They haven't even tested the buses on the line yet which is because it's only looks about 80pct finished.

From Chong Nonsri BTS Station, southbound on Narathiwat Road to Phraram 3 (Rama 3) Road, then west to Thanon Tok intersection (the intersection of Phraram 3 with Charoen Krung Road).

There may be a plan to extend it across the river someday ? But I am not holding my breath waiting. As someone said above, it has taken them years to get this little project built, and it is not finished yet. And in 15 yrs., here, I have certainly seen lots of maps in the newspapers, with lots of pretty coloured lines on them. I think that a majority of the ones I saw a decade or more ago are still not operational.

• 4 weeks later...
From Chong Nonsri BTS Station, southbound on Narathiwat Road to Phraram 3 (Rama 3) Road, then west to Thanon Tok intersection (the intersection of Phraram 3 with Charoen Krung Road).

There may be a plan to extend it across the river someday ? But I am not holding my breath waiting. As someone said above, it has taken them years to get this little project built, and it is not finished yet. And in 15 yrs., here, I have certainly seen lots of maps in the newspapers, with lots of pretty coloured lines on them. I think that a majority of the ones I saw a decade or more ago are still not operational.

Here is the map.

map_BRT.pdf