Dog Meat In Bkk?

Grawburg

post-37101-1272730836_thumb.jpg

Is it really a popular Thai food? I don't think so. Perhaps post in the international section which covers Vietnamese/Filipino/Korean.

I wouldn't eat it but I saw a video about a dedicated Korean dog farm where the dogs were raised as livestock. They did seem to act like different kinds of dogs than pet dogs. I don't think we can judge other cultures this way, short of cannibalism anyway.

Edited by Jingthing

post-37101-1272730836_thumb.jpg

Is it really a popular Thai food? I don't think so. Perhaps post in the international section which covers Vietnamese/Filipino/Korean.

I wouldn't eat it but I saw a video about a dedicated Korean dog farm where the dogs were raised as livestock. They did seem to act like different kinds of dogs than pet dogs. I don't think we can judge other cultures this way, short of cannibalism anyway.

its a popular delicase in north eastern isaan!

not sure about where you might be able to find it sold here in bangkok.

I think you can get some in Nakorn Prathom (spelling?). Meat is meat. Get over yourselves. Some people keep chickens/cows/pigs as pets and would be horrified if you ate those animals. Some people eat rats. Some eat snakes. Some eat horses. Is it so bad? I don't really care. Eat, drink, and be merry.

Its not fair comparing to rats, etc. Westerners don't like to eat rats because mostly we find rats disgusting. We usually don't want to eat dogs because we have loved some dogs personally, and feel they have a special relationship with humans. In my case I don't really like cats, but still don't want to eat them, so there goes my theory, ha ha.

Its not fair comparing to rats, etc. Westerners don't like to eat rats because mostly we find rats disgusting. We usually don't want to eat dogs because we have loved some dogs personally, and feel they have a special relationship with humans. In my case I don't really like cats, but still don't want to eat them, so there goes my theory, ha ha.

I wouldn't feel guilty about eating a cat, but the idea disgusts me as I don't like 'em! I guess I feel the same way about them as do Muslims about pigs.

Dogs are intelligent and affectionate animals and I would not like one to be killed for food. Having said that, I'm guessing that if you find dog to eat in Thailand then it's likely to be some worm-ridden mangy soi dog that would probably benefit from an early death.

Enjoy your meal.

Edited by cat5

I wouldn't feel guilty about eating a cat, but the idea disgusts me as I don't like 'em! I guess I feel the same way about them as do Muslims about pigs.

Dogs are intelligent and affectionate animals and I would not like one to be killed for food. Having said that, I'm guessing that if you find dog to eat in Thailand then it's likely to be some worm-ridden mangy soi dog that would probably benefit from an early death.

Enjoy your meal.

You're right. Eating cats does sounds disgusting. About dog, I think it probably tastes good cooked in traditional Asian ways, but no thanks.

Used to be taking out to ho dog restarants when I worked in Hanoi about 15 years ago and my Nam workers were always trying to convince me that it was normal...they are bred for "chop"...not pets...woof woof ....cant remember if....

Also other goodies that were always available...cats,rats,squirrels,donkey,lizards,geckos,snakes ...cut out the heart first and swallow...blood still pumping ...oops....but of course cant remember although one thing I "mai chop" was "Balote"....eggs with the soggy embryo still making a song and dance......urgg.....

on the other hand its all food.......ye-um lau... :)

Judging by the of level of infestation of soi dogs everywhere in the country, it's pretty clear that Thais rarely if ever eat dogs.

These days this is true in Bangkok but in the North East and around the borders with Laos and Cambodia there is a lively market for our four legged friends,most averaged sized dogs sell for about 250 baht and are exported over the borders or eaten by the many migrant workers on the farms in Thailand.

It was amazing on my visits to Laos and Cambodia that you forget about dogs because quite simply you tend not to see many of them,although there is a new fashion of the hi-so's in Loas and Cambodia(yes they do have hi-so's also :) ) keeping cute small dogs as pets!

But then again pound for pound a Chitzou wouldn't be worth much compared to a Retriever :D

See all of the above for Cats also.

Where did the expression "its raining cats and dogs " come from? :D