Cool Recipes For Hot Days Thread

It's HOT and I'm always looking for cool foods to chill me out and wondering if others have any cool recipes to share on this forum???

I'll start with one of my favorites that my Mom taught me. I rarely measure ingredients, but will approximate amounts.

it's called 'pineapple cole slaw' [or whatever you want to call it]

about 4-5 cups of shreaded cabbage

about 1-2 cups of pineapple sliced into bite sized chunks

about 1 cup of cashews

less than a cup of raisins [or other dried fruit]

dressing

1/2 cup mayonaise

1/4th cup orange juice

3-4 tblspoons of mustard.

then mix fruit, cabbage and nuts and toss in the dressing.

chill in refridgerator then eat and chill out. best eaten fresh, as it has mayonaise that can spoil.

now someone else can share their favorites...........

Here is a recipe for "lazy persons gazpacho":

Take the left-overs of a large mixed tossed green salad-any kind dressing (except the sweet Thai stuff) & veggies will do.

Put the left over salad in a blender, add an equal amount of tomato juice. Blend. Chill until the next day.

Here is another recipe (a bit more complicated):

Cold Vegetable Pasta Primavera

Description

Cold pasta dishes are often overlooked, perhaps because we are used to seeing them looking tired in a deli counter. When the noodles are made fresh and tossed with seasoned, grilled vegetables and homemade sauce, it makes all the difference.

Ingredients

SEASONING

1/4 cup olive oil

1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper

GRILLED VEGETABLES

1 zucchini, cut lengthwise into slices 1/2-inch thick

2 summer squash, cut lengthwise into slices 1/2-inch thick

4 Japanese eggplants, cut lengthwise into slices 1/2-inch thick

1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices

1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, cut lengthwise into 3/4 - inch slices

PASTA SAUCE

1 tablespoon minced garlic

3 tablespoons finely minced shallots or white onions

Juice from 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)

1/4 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar

4 tablespoons olive oil

6 cups peeled, seeded, and diced tomatoes

1 teaspoon salt

20 fresh basil leaves, shredded

1 pound fusilli

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup sliced green or black olives

1/4 cup capers

1 cup cubed feta cheese

Instructions

1. Mix all the seasoning ingredients together in a large bowl, then put in the sliced vegetables and toss until all the vegetables are completely coated. Spread out the vegetables on the grill and cook over medium-low heat for 1 1/2 minutes on each side.

2. Make the sauce: Mix the garlic, minced shallots, lemon juice, vinegar, and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil together in a bowl. Place the tomatoes in a blender or food processor to purée, then add them to the bowl. Cover and refrigerate.

3. Bring a large pot of water and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to a boil and cook the pasta until it is done. Drain through a colander. Transfer the pasta to a large bowl and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the grated lemon zest, pepper, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the grilled vegetables and toss again.

4. Remove the sauce from the refrigerator just before you are ready to serve, and mix in the shredded basil leaves until they are evenly distributed throughout the sauce.

5. Pour the sauce over the pasta and grilled vegetables, add the olives and capers, and toss until all the strands of pasta and the vegetables are evenly coated. Top with sprinkles of feta cheese and serve.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/RCP02080/Cold-...-Primavera.html

Edited by maxjay

"Gazpacho"!!! great idea, forgot all about it and google did educate me as to the history, ingredients and many variations of it and can be served with ice cubes to cool it even more.......but no thanks to the beer, I think a red wine would be better with it.

I like juices in summer; they're full of vitamins, protect you from dehydration, and low in calories *.*

like fresh carrot orange juice,

mmm

strawberry milk sounds nice, with strawberries immediately from freezer, and make it thick like ice cream =)