Where Is It Safe To Go With All These Red Shirts?

nikkoid66

That's a long time away, but for now there is no reason to fear the clashes will spread to Pattaya or Phuket (South). If traveling with children, you might want to consider an alternative destination.

Some places in the North and North-East might be better to avoid, as protest against the government can spark there any moment. But the comming week will tell what is going to happen.

Try Hua-Hin, or better still just further south (10kms) Kao Tao or Koa Takiab which has much better beach than HH. Absolutely NO signs of any problems here. Lots of good restaurants of all kinds and plenty of places to stay from basic to very upmarket, depends what you want to spend!

Take a taxi directly from the airport which should cost you about 2,300B.

If you need one organised to meet you, just PM me with the details of your flight and I can arrange for the driver that we use to pick you up at the airport. A good safe driver, not one of the maniacs that frighten the life out of you. The trip takes about 2.5 hours max.

Listen to your heart and your wallet..

Never trust any one here to tell you something true.. most seem to need the lie as their way to just answer a simple question.

What do you want to do is the question I would be asking..

Chiang Mai has it all but NO BEACHES.. it is in the mountains in the north and you will not see any RED as you would in a certain small area in BKK.

It is all UP TO YOU what you want.. Temples? Lions Tigers and Elephants?? CHIANG MAI

I have traveled all over Thailand by my trusty old Ford Ranger pick up...since I bought it in 2003... cause one does need a car or a bike or some sort of transport...unless you are of "the bus" mentality..

Fly here rent a car.. and drive with a cool babe who you need to pay each day to be your Tonto. That is what I did in the east and the south as well as here in the north. Got a wife as well.. Do not tell the babe and tell you wife to say nothing..

You need a good translator as the school system here does not seem to encourage English as they do in other so called SE Asian countries.

Remember to TRUST NO ONE... Be careful of everyone.. NEVER get too close to any Thai if you are just there for a day or two.. Many do not like what I say.. but after 20 years in this country.. I tend to say best follow your nose...

Same as anywhere... except for those few loonies in RED shirts in BKK.. THAILAND is a great place to tourist in..

Now living here day after day...that is another story.. too long for this post..

Edited by JackSterling

My advice is to AVOID Thailand at all costs.  This will not be settled for YEARS.

If the government puts down the reds, the movement will move underground and we will have gurella warfare countrywide.  I just wonder how long it is going to take them to start targeting foreigners.

I have been here 10 years and I am getting ready to leave.  There is no good outcome to this.

As a previous poster stated - do not trust ANY Thai.

Listen to your heart and your wallet..

Never trust any one here to tell you something true.. most seem to need the lie as their way to just answer a simple question.

What do you want to do is the question I would be asking..

Chiang Mai has it all but NO BEACHES.. it is in the mountains in the north and you will not see any RED as you would in a certain small area in BKK.

It is all UP TO YOU what you want.. Temples? Lions Tigers and Elephants?? CHIANG MAI

I have traveled all over Thailand by my trusty old Ford Ranger pick up...since I bought it in 2003... cause one does need a car or a bike or some sort of transport...unless you are of "the bus" mentality..

Fly here rent a car.. and drive with a cool babe who you need to pay each day to be your Tonto. That is what I did in the east and the south as well as here in the north. Got a wife as well.. Do not tell the babe and tell you wife to say nothing..

You need a good translator as the school system here does not seem to encourage English as they do in other so called SE Asian countries.

Remember to TRUST NO ONE... Be careful of everyone.. NEVER get too close to any Thai if you are just there for a day or two.. Many do not like what I say.. but after 20 years in this country.. I tend to say best follow your nose...

Same as anywhere... except for those few loonies in RED shirts in BKK.. THAILAND is a great place to tourist in..

Now living here day after day...that is another story.. too long for this post..

The advice that there are no reds in Chiang Mai is not correct. There are plenty - they are peaceful at the moment, but who knows? This is Thaksin's hometown.

There have been red shirt protests in Chiang-Mai but small an peaceful, (maybe noisy). A few small explosions with little or no injury.It's anyone's guess how the Bangkok battles will effect other areas. I think Chiang-Mai will continue to be a safe place for tourists but it is a Red area and their have been a few small bombs thrown.....I am comfortable there but things can change....

Get a connecting flight from Bkk to Cambodia

Good advice, Air Asia are doing Bkk-Phom Phen for 1,700 Baht, then get a Bus or taxi to Sihanoukville. Save a lot of money and have a great time with people that want you to visit their country.

That's a long time away, but for now there is no reason to fear the clashes will spread to Pattaya or Phuket (South). If traveling with children, you might want to consider an alternative destination.

Some places in the North and North-East might be better to avoid, as protest against the government can spark there any moment. But the coming week will tell what is going to happen.

I agree with this guy.It's still a long time away. Even though it's a war zone at central Bangkok, Pattaya/Phuket is still normal and quiet.

Next Question is, How long you're planning to stay in Thailand? Is it just a holiday trip, etc?

Pattaya/Phuket are tourist's haven only a bit expensive and far in Phuket.