Sleeping Giant?

Have just heard this on BBC world service said by the Aussie soccer captain

"We are a sleeping gaint---" If thats the case god help sweetcorn. :o

Maybe he is a relative of Prof Fart,he also makes ridiculous statements, it will take a long long time before there is enough money in oz soccer to keep the top talent at home.

Have just heard this on BBC world service said by the Aussie soccer captain

"We are a sleeping gaint---" If thats the case god help sweetcorn. :o

Yes Australia is (of course I think that) on track to become a force in soccer, but the national team has to play more games, more often, with a 'full side" and aganist decent competion, such as the England game ( god help me for what I just typed)......I believe that Australia are to compete in the "Tiger Cup" from 2010 or something like that.....thats what we need.....

but, we should be good enough now to make the last 16 of the World Cup and once we get there....anything can happen....

Alot more kids are playing soccer now in Oz, and a scout from England said that the kids in Australia are alot more advanced than kids of the same age in England, coz in Oz they get to play all year round, but its when they get to 12, 13 years, that they drift of into the larger football codes in Oz....

Once the Socceroo's start performing and soccer gets prime time air, then maybe alot more lads will stick with soccer.......

I think the last time we played England we drew or won? :o

We are the greatest sporting nation on the planet, that cannot be argued!

Soccer has taken a while, but we produce world class players, this is evident in England, Greece, Italy and the like.

For a country that has Aussie rules and Rugby as the national codes, we have done well!

I am doubtful we will be a "giant" in soccer anytime soon. But, maybe if FIFA gave us a fair go at qualfying for the world cup we might improve. Always having to play off against a South American or Asian team (sure most remember 97 with Iran :o )I think it was 93 ...we had to play Argentia, 2002 Uraguay. All these teams have an extra chance after failing to win a spot in their round robin . Australia finishes miles ahead in Oceania and has to face a play off to qaulify, how fair is this ? Put Australia in the Asian pool and let the other Oceania minnows fend for themselves.

I am doubtful we will be a "giant" in soccer anytime soon. But, maybe if FIFA gave us a fair go at qualfying for the world cup we might improve. Always having to play off against a South American or Asian team (sure most remember 97 with Iran :o )I think it was 93 ...we had to play Argentia, 2002 Uraguay. All these teams have an extra chance after failing to win a spot in their round robin . Australia finishes miles ahead in Oceania and has to face a play off to qaulify, how fair is this ?  Put Australia in the Asian pool and let the other Oceania minnows fend for themselves.

Does Australia have a profesional league?

I am doubtful we will be a "giant" in soccer anytime soon. But, maybe if FIFA gave us a fair go at qualfying for the world cup we might improve. Always having to play off against a South American or Asian team (sure most remember 97 with Iran :o )I think it was 93 ...we had to play Argentia, 2002 Uraguay. All these teams have an extra chance after failing to win a spot in their round robin . Australia finishes miles ahead in Oceania and has to face a play off to qaulify, how fair is this ?  Put Australia in the Asian pool and let the other Oceania minnows fend for themselves.

Not at the moment......A new one is being restructured....

Our national team would be stronger if the UK and Euro clubs would facilitate the use of the Aussies playing in O/S leagues....some do play but it is never easy to get them away from their clubs.

Not at the moment......A new one is being restructured....

Our national team would be stronger if the UK and Euro clubs would facilitate the use of the Aussies playing in O/S leagues....some do play but it is never easy to get them away from their clubs.

I think that until football can compete with Aussie rules, rugby and cricket in Australia you will always be considered a 'backwater' team.

When you have a proper league then some of your homegrown talent might stay there.Until then you will just have to take the long road to the finals.

Or maybe be the hosts in 2014 :D