Mexican Chili Peppers

zippydedodah

We have been struggling to keep our mexican food alive in the home and while we have been able to make tortillas, get the right beans, etc... we cannot find good mexican chili peppers.

Does anyone know of a market or store that sells locally grown serranos, jalapenos or habaneros or any other mexican chili peppers?

thanks

Royal project (Doi Kham) store and Rim Ping have Jalapenos most of the time. Doi Kham is a bit cheaper.

The rest you could grow yourself, though with current temperatures my plants are getting slaughtered. :)

there's a company in Chiang Rai that grows them as well, soneone may provide the link, or Google will likely dig it up.

Royal project (Doi Kham) store and Rim Ping have Jalapenos most of the time. Doi Kham is a bit cheaper.

The rest you could grow yourself, though with current temperatures my plants are getting slaughtered. :)

there's a company in Chiang Rai that grows them as well, soneone may provide the link, or Google will likely dig it up.

Read a little bit about Doi Kham online, but can't find the location. Wonder if they have more than just the Jalapenos available? Once i can find the location i will have to take a trip out there.

Thanks!

I've grown habaneros and jalapenos at home and they turned out quite nice. I ordered the seeds from the US.

The habaneros weren't that hot and my friend told me that they should be grown in 100% sunlight to get the full heat potential.

The main Doi Kham outlet is in CMU on the corner of the canal road and Suthep road....within the CMU. I've always seen jalapenos there and cheap. There are a few other Doi Kham outlets around town, but the CMU outlet is the best.

I have some harbenero, serano and maybe some jalapeno seeds [and many others] that I will give in exchange for some of harvest. PM me for details.

• Like 1

....related topic, how about chili powder? I know there is lots of local style chili powder but for Enchilada sauce you need MILD chlil powder because you use so much, the local style is HOT. Any Ideas?

since we are expanding the topic a bit.... what kind of cheeses are folks using for mexican dishes? Imported? Seems to be all i can find and that stuff is expensive!

and avocados for good guacamole.... if we buy local avos, they all seem to be watery..... so we buy imported at RimPing market.... and those are 60 baht a pop and if you need say 4 avos cuz you have a few guests over...there goes 240 baht just on the avos.... we like the firm, substantial avos... not those large watery ones.

had not thought about the chili powder issue cuz we haven't tried to do enchiladas yet....but will keep an eye out for potential solutions.

A 'decent' cheese for cooking can be bought at Makro......freezer section grated chedar @ 350thb/k and it seems that it is not the 'processed' plastic cheese.

I would love to get some ripe red jalapenos and try my hand at smoking them to make chilpotes. I had never tried chilpotes before my sister sent me a couple of cans of 'Herdes chilpotes' made in Mexico and the taste was fantastic enough to make me want to make my own.

Avos are hit or miss even during the season......some winners and some loosers, but for sure cheap. I can't bring myself to pay 60thb for an imported small flesh, big seeded hard one.

Don's in Chiang Rai, Phuket and elsewhere but not unfortuately in Chiang Mai does sell chipotles. Last time i spoke with them they said that they were reorganizing the business- making it strictly wholesale - and would be ready to ship to chiang mai in June of 2010.

....related topic, how about chili powder? I know there is lots of local style chili powder but for Enchilada sauce you need MILD chlil powder because you use so much, the local style is HOT. Any Ideas?

If you tell me what brand you want, I can bring some back from the US when I return in July.

One of the nurseries in Mae Jo has small habanero plants pretty regularly. Most of them are bearing fruit already. I'm not sure what the name of the place is, but if you're driving from Rimping out to Mae Jo, there are about 3 nurseries in a row, on the left side of the road, just before you hit the Mae Rim/Mae Jo road.