I may be moving to Bangkok at the end of the year with my family. I am looking for an apartment with condo facilities by the river but will be working in Sukhumvit. My budget is 120,000 per month. Can anyone recommend where I should look?

You may be moving to bangkok? theres a civil war going on if you havent noticed...

And what has that got to do with me moving to Thailand at the end of the year?

Anyone have anything constructive to say that will help me out?

Civil War?

What a prat.

I thought so. In case he hadn't noticed businesses are still open and people still need somewhere to live.

I would appreciate some help though still...

hi,

120K per month will get you a palace. But I'd suggest you get your feet on the ground here first and perhaps stay in a hotel until you have had a chance to decide how you will get to work each day. There are plenty of nice places along the river, but which you choose will be influenced by whether you intend to use public transport or not. There are agents here who will be able to show you around when you are ready. I've lived here for more than 10 years and where I am living now, compared to where I started out is way different, so, seriously, no need to rush into an important decision like this from afar.

hi,

120K per month will get you a palace. But I'd suggest you get your feet on the ground here first and perhaps stay in a hotel until you have had a chance to decide how you will get to work each day. There are plenty of nice places along the river, but which you choose will be influenced by whether you intend to use public transport or not. There are agents here who will be able to show you around when you are ready. I've lived here for more than 10 years and where I am living now, compared to where I started out is way different, so, seriously, no need to rush into an important decision like this from afar.

Thanks, thats really helpful. I plan to live by the river and take the skytrain from Saphan Taksin to Siam and then change to the Sukhumvit line so getting to work wont be a problem.

businesses are still open

actually not so much at ratchaprasong and silom , the business CENTERS of the country

ps when ur shopping , conventional wisdom is NOT to lead w/ how much ur willing to pay

but u probably know that since u seem to know everything

ps

getting to work wont be a problem

would have been , you know , a small problem yesterday, today (tomorrow ?) as the BTS is closed tight as a drum

but u probably knew that right ?

Edited by jackdawson

businesses are still open

actually not so much at ratchaprasong and silom , the business CENTERS of the country

ps when ur shopping , conventional wisdom is NOT to lead w/ how much ur willing to pay

but u probably know that since u seem to know everything

ps

getting to work wont be a problem

would have been , you know , a small problem yesterday, today (tomorrow ?) as the BTS is closed tight as a drum

but u probably knew that right ?

Jesus, you're an angry little man. Two points you should have picked up on by READING ALL THE INFORMATION. Firstly it will be the END of the year, and secondly I will be working in Sukhumvit. Which makes your pointless little tirade completely irrelevant. However thank you for telling me the BTS will be closed tomorrow and that a part of Bangkok I wont be working in and wont even be commuting through for another 7 months is closed temporarily while some protesters are removed. I can only think you assume they will still be there in 7 months time which is amusing and really, really helpful.

Conventional wisdom is not to lead with how much I am willing to pay? So how do you get advice on searching for properties at a particular budget if you don't tell anyone what that budget is? I hardly want to have my time wasted looking round 60K shoeboxes. I am still more than capable of negotiating my own tenancy with my own terms.

As for your comment about me knowing everything, well I dont even know where that came from, but it says far more about your bitter little outlook on life than it does about me.

Go and bug someone else with your pointless bitter bullshit.

Lots of new condos being built around Krung Thonburi and Wongwian Yai stations. How about around Chong Nonsi area, loads of places there too.

Amenities for your family will probably be an issue, also are the kids of school age? Would you be looking for an International school if they are? Although BTS is okay for transport, being near the school is always an advantage, as they will be tired from the travelling and still have homework to do.

Lots of new condos being built around Krung Thonburi and Wongwian Yai stations. How about around Chong Nonsi area, loads of places there too.

Amenities for your family will probably be an issue, also are the kids of school age? Would you be looking for an International school if they are? Although BTS is okay for transport, being near the school is always an advantage, as they will be tired from the travelling and still have homework to do.

Thanks, thats a good point. Our oldest will be just turning three years old next March, so still a couple of years before international school is really neccessary. My wife doesn't work so her taking them to school when they are older shouldn't be a problem. I'll do a search on the internet around those places. Thanks again.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse but, river views in Bangkok aren't quite the same as river views in many other cities. When I was looking for somewhere about 8 years ago I initially wanted to overlook the river, when I saw this polluted, virtually black river I changed my mind, that was about 8 years ago, it might be a bit cleaner now?

I'm not trying to be a smart arse but, river views in Bangkok aren't quite the same as river views in many other cities. When I was looking for somewhere about 8 years ago I initially wanted to overlook the river, when I saw this polluted, virtually black river I changed my mind, that was about 8 years ago, it might be a bit cleaner now?

The reasons for choosing a property near the river are because for one it's cooler with the open space there us a better breeze than being amongst the highrise and smog of Sukhumvit or Silom. You are also a bit further out the way in case there is further civil unrest in the coming years. I also like watching the activity on the river so the fact the water is brown and murky doesnt really bother me. That being said, I do appreciate your honest feedback and comments.

Friends live at the Chatrium which is relatively new, they take the apartment/hotel's own ferry to Saphan Taksin to catch the skytrain to work. The apartment is right next door to Shrewsbury International School. The downside is that there isn't a lot around there to do.

We live in a high rise off Sathorn. We have river views & can see the firework displays they hold at the river quite often, including New Years. We have a breeze all the time and rarely use aircon except for a couple of months right about now. I wouldn't write off other areas of town until you've looked around.

One problem with condos by the river is that the facilities are generally much better for families/ kids in the expat condos along sukhumvit . I recommend Natural Park suk soi 49- its in your price range (3 br anyway- 4 br is @ 130 K) and has dozens of expat families and lots of kids. But there are a handful of good places btw suk soi 23-75.

Its a great family posting and we are enjoying it -even with the so called 'civil war' we have no intention of leaving

Edited by ExpatJ

Thanks both, its good to have some info from some people who clearly know what they are talking about.

We were looking at Shrewsbury school today and looks quite a good location if we were to live by the river or Sathorn.

To be honest it doesnt really matter too much as we are thinking about renting for a year or so and then buying an apartment or a house in Bangkok anyway.

I'll do some research for Sathorn and Silom too.

Thanks again

Your idea of living by the river is an inspired choice.

I have been living in a condo by the river for 12 years and wouldn't live anywhere else in BKK.

There are many condos being developed to the south of Saphan Taksin and most provide a boat service to the BTS.

Try it first, as previously suggested, then if you'd prefer along the main strips (Sathorn, Silom, Sukhumvit) give some time to look in the surrounding sois just to confirm that you are making the correct decision.

Good luck.

PS: there always have been naysayers on this site. Make your own decisions from what you experience.

I have been living in a condo by the river for 12 years and wouldn't live anywhere else in BKK.

There are many condos being developed to the south of Saphan Taksin and most provide a boat service to the BTS.

Try it first, as previously suggested, then if you'd prefer along the main strips (Sathorn, Silom, Sukhumvit) give some time to look in the surrounding sois just to confirm that you are making the correct decision.

Good luck.

PS: there always have been naysayers on this site. Make your own decisions from what you experience.

Thanks. I have noticed there are a few on the river that have a direct boat service to Shrewsbury school and also to the BTS which will go straight to my office. I'll spend the first year renting/exploring other locations in detail and then drop a deposit on a house a year or two after.

Seems I have it all worked out :-)

Edited by Kananga

Good luck.

Hi London we have corresponded in the past - As a matter of interest where do you do the mundane things like shopping if you live on the river? For me based at Chit Lom, it's Central Chidlom, followed by Siam discovery Siam Paragon, MBK etc...

I really only know the river area from The Oriental and I know about the boat services to Saphan Taksin and the river boats, but there seemed to be a curious lack of department stores in that area - I guess this is actually irrelevant if you have a Thai partner, they will deal with the local community shops, but is something to consider.

Additionally Saphan Taksin is the most tricky station on the BTS - it only has one platform and now has to cope with the BTS extension. This means it is actually a bit of bottle neck. Mind you even with this limitation the BTS is infinitly better than the UK tube/underground.

"Saphan Taksin is the most tricky station on the BTS"

It was built with only one station, because it was planned to be closed after the extension opened. The operating company is looking at:

1. closing the station

2. adding a 2nd platform

2. leaving it as is

Either of the first two choices will take at least a decade to resolve.

"Saphan Taksin is the most tricky station on the BTS"

It was built with only one station, because it was planned to be closed after the extension opened. The operating company is looking at:

1. closing the station

2. adding a 2nd platform

3. leaving it as is

Either of the first two choices will take at least a decade to resolve.

Hi hhgz I have fixed your post it is 1,2,3 ];-)- well you know there is always forward planning ];-) I must confess though that it would be very bloodly tricky to add a second platform.

Edited by pkrv

Good luck.

Hi London we have corresponded in the past - As a matter of interest where do you do the mundane things like shopping if you live on the river? For me based at Chit Lom, it's Central Chidlom, followed by Siam discovery Siam Paragon, MBK etc...

I really only know the river area from The Oriental and I know about the boat services to Saphan Taksin and the river boats, but there seemed to be a curious lack of department stores in that area - I guess this is actually irrelevant if you have a Thai partner, they will deal with the local community shops, but is something to consider.

Hi PKRV !

NOT having a Thai partner has never been an issue for me actually.

As far as day to day items are concerned, there is Robinson at the base of Saphan Taksin BTS or in Thonburi. As my condo has a boat, its never been an issue getting supplies.

As far as not-so day to day items, well, IF Siam Paragon is closed I can go to the Oriental, Shangri La, Peninsula, Sheraton or Marriott for my coffee fix, or even eat there if I have the inclination (which isn't often).

Behind (or in front of) the Marriott, there are a few interesting restaurants, as there are near the Oriental, the Pen or Sheraton.

I hope this explains.

Stay safe my friend.

Regards

As far as day to day items are concerned, there is Robinson at the base of Saphan Taksin BTS or in Thonburi. As my condo has a boat, its never been an issue getting supplies.

Hi london - thanks for the info - I take it you speak Thai. Languages are not my strong point but I do for example know how to say "I am going to shoot the rabbit" in Thai - sometimes quite a critical thing to do - I am learning ];-)

I am actually in the UK at this time but do get a very, very, comprehensive updates on what is happening. To be honest this stuff does not even phase me I am afraid I was a product of the contracting edges of the British Empire - we sort of left every country under gunfire - can't for the life of me see what we did to piss off most of the world!

And BTW I find the vitality of the river deeply mesmerising - beautiful

PKRV.

Edited by pkrv

Hi london - thanks for the info - I take it you speak Thai. Languages are not my strong point but I do for example know how to say "I am going to shoot the rabbit" in Thai - sometimes quite a critical thing to do - I am learning ];-)

I am actually in the UK at this time but do get a very, very, comprehensive updates on what is happening. To be honest this stuff does not even phase me I am afraid I was a product of the contracting edges of the British Empire - we sort of left every country under gunfire - can't for the life of me see what we did to piss off most of the world!

And BTW I find the vitality of the river deeply mesmerising - beautiful

PKRV.

Hi PKRV,

my Thai is passable.....and arguably laughable to a Thai....but their graciousness at my attempts always encourages me.

Glad you are in the UK now.

I left BKK around 3 weeks ago and have been watching the events unfold from afar (Oz, at present).

My feeling is that this is going to fester for a while even if the crack down is successful. I hope I'm wrong though and that everything gets back to "normal" soon.

Yes, the river touches me in the same way. Also, the air is better, believe it or not !

Always a pleasure to see your posts.

Have a great day.

Regards