Bread Flour

Niloc

I am planning on buying a breadmaker. So I will need bread flour, yeast, fat etc on a regular basis.

Can anyone suggest where I can buy these things??

Thanks,

Colin from Pai

You can buy baking goods at Bakermart on the Chiangmai-Lampoon Rd on the left or any Rimping SuperMarket or Kasem for sure. There are 2 Kasem locations with one on Neminhamin just before Mike's Burgers on the same side of the street.

There is another wholesale large bakery supply and I can't remeber the name but I'll send it to you later because it's great to know about.

Rimping has 3 locations and you can check out their website www.rimping.com

Bakermart is just down from that Rimping location.

I am just carried away with the new YOK STORE ...

It is the most fantastic place for all things needed for baking....

Quite a few imported western packaged foodstuffs also..

It is on the service road about half way in between Carrefour and Makro and across[ the other side of ] the super highway

Ablolutely fantastic type of store..... The old location on rattanakosin Rd was good but this new location is SUPER ! ! !

Gonzo

Chiang Mai Bakemart has two locations. The one mentioned earlier on the Nong Hoi Road and one near Chiang Mai Gate. Rimping has FOUR locations. Yok INtertrade has two locations...One on the superhighway between Index Living Mall and Makro but in the opposite side of the highway and one next to the New Peninsula Hotel. There is also Schmidt on the Mae Rim Road for some baking items.

Makro if you need commercial quanities

just as a point..... the prices on certain things at the Yok Store are cheaper than Makro....

Allowrie 81 slice cheese Makro 480 // Yok 430 b

Salted butter in 5 k bloks is cheaper

as is the big jumbo sixe jam

just a few off the top of my head... worth a look

G

Which Rimping is the biggest one please?

Now I know why I never ask directions from a farang.. they always say..." go left/right at rimping"

4 years ago I went to one, i thought it was by the river...

thanks

I'd say the biggest rimping is the one at Mee Chok (on the way to Mae Jo) Next is the Rimping on the Ping River near the Iron Bridge. 3 is the Nim city branch opposite airport Plaza. Finally there is a small Rim Ping on The Hang Dong Road in the Gad Farang Shopping Center

For bread flour, the best place to go is Bakersmart. They carry unbleached flours. I've never seen unbleached flour at Yok. Unbleached flours are generally reckoned to be superior for bread making. Unfortunately, Bakersmart doesn't identify them as such. But if you go to their flour section, you will see various types of flour in clear plastic bags. These are mostly imported from Australia where bleached floursl are banned. Also, if you compare bleached to unbleached, you will note that the unbleached flours have a yellowish cast to them.

I would definitely second YOK as the best, like a baker's dream shop.

The only thing they lack is any wholemeal/grain flour

which you can get at Rimping (Where the bread flour is rather expensive!)

David

I would definitely second YOK as the best, like a baker's dream shop.

The only thing they lack is any wholemeal/grain flour

which you can get at Rimping (Where the bread flour is rather expensive!)

David

I don't see how Yok is superior to Bakersmart. They both carry a lot of things in common and each also different things that the other one doesn't. But since the original query was about flour for breadmaking, in this regard Bakersmart is clearly superior.

I am just carried away with the new YOK STORE ...It is the most fantastic place for all things needed for baking....Quite a few imported western packaged foodstuffs also..It is on the service road about half way in between Carrefour and Makro and across[ the other side of ] the super highway Ablolutely fantastic type of store..... The old location on rattanakosin Rd was good but this new location is SUPER ! ! !

Gonzo

I looked into this topic hoping I'd see a reference to Yok's new location. I lucked in; thanks Gonzo. I had hoped, after seeing its former spot razed to the ground, that they'd have at least left a sign indicating its new spot. Even the local car dealers et al had no idea where they'd gone. My dentist moved off Moonmung, but had the foresight to leave a map on the side; as did my eyeglass dealer.

Been to Bakersmart and RimPing: nice but generally more expensive, especially the latter. Yok is a more fun spot to poke about, with great staff. Gotta go now, off to Yok! Thanks again! :)