Visitors Visa For Thai Girlfriend

My partner is Thai and has lived in the UK for 10 years. She has indefinite leave to remain (ILR) from a previous marrige to a UK citizen. She has 3 children, the oldest is her 21 year old son.

Her son also has ILR and has lived in the UK for 5 years. He recently returned to Thailand for 6 months to get engaged to his 18 year old Thai girlfriend and has now returned to the UK.

He is working part time and staying with friends. His plan is to bring his fiancee to the UK for a holiday and I was wondering about the likleyhood of her getting a UK visitors visa.

His fiancee is 18, speaks no english and is a student, she has little money. Her boyfriend is working part time here in the UK and doesnt earn much.

I know that visa applicants must prove they can support themselves when they visit and must have a reason to return, but what does this mean in real terms? How much money would her boyfriend have to have in his bank for a 2 week visit and how would she prove she has a reason to return?

All info welcome

There are basically three criteria which she will need to meet.

1) She is a genuine visitor with a genuine reason to visit

The reason to visit is the relationship with your step-son. He should write a sponsor's letter briefly outlining the history of the relationship, what their plans for the future are and the reason for visiting the UK at this time, plus how long she intends to stay.

She and he should provide evidence of their relationship: his passport showing entries into Thailand to show how often he has visited her, phone and e-mail records etc.

2) She will be adequately supported and accommodated while in the UK.

Finances for the trip can come from her resources, your step-son's, a third party (e.g. you) or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing toward the cost of the trip should provide evidence of their ability to do so; 6 months bank statements and, if working, payslips is recommended.

There is no set amount of money needed; it depends on the individual applicant's situation; how long they'll be staying in the UK, whether they'll be staying with friends or family etc.

Whoever is offering accommodation should show that there is room for her; ideally one room for her exclusive use, but sharing with another female should be OK for a visit, as should sharing with her fiance, your step-son.

They should also show that she is allowed to stay there; either by providing proof of ownership if they do own (mortgage statement or copy of deeds) or a letter from their landlord granting her such permission if they rent.

3) She will return to Thailand, or at least leave the UK, when or before her visa expires.

If she satisfies the ECO on point 1, then this will go a long way toward the ECO believing she will return. However, concrete evidence is a great help as well.

She should provide evidence of her attendance at university and when she will be due back. When my step-son visited while he was a student he got a letter from the university office and his tutor to confirm this.

You may find Guidance - Visitors (INF 2) and Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3) helpful.

I can see no reason why she could not visit you would need to demonstrate you meet all the requirements of paragraph 41 of the immigration rules.

The sponsors parents can offer financial help if required and accommodation.

If you require professional help feel free to contact me.