Bangkok Will Rise Like A Phoenix

webfact

Bangkok will rise like a phoenix

By The Nation

City residents will rebuild and prove that the collective good is a force greater than the terrorists who laid waste to our homes and businesses

BANGKOK: -- As the smoke from the fires starts to dissipate, Bangkok is left in ashes. The front page of every newspaper featured CentralWorld and Centre One, where hundreds of small entrepreneurs made their living, left as a shell.

Many shop-owners in the Siam Square area came back to survey the damage yesterday. A young shop-owner could not hold back his tears when he saw that there was nothing left of his shop. But in that sad moment, the young man made an admirable remark. Asked by a Channel 5 reporter what he felt about his loss, he said, "I am not worried about the loss of my shop and merchandise. They are materials that I think I will be able to find again. But I would like to Thais to love each other again." News reports yesterday morning also featured interviews with many other affected people.

As of press time, there was no official estimate of the losses. But it does not take a genius to figure out that thousands of people will be adversely affected. There were many local entrepreneurs operating inside these shopping complexes, many of which were selling locally-made merchandise.

This difficult time is a test for Bangkokians to show our spirit, to show that we will rise. And each and every one of us can contribute to the rebuilding process. We cannot wait for the government, which has limited resources, to deal with this loss. We must unite to rebuild the city that we love and care for.

As the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority started the cleaning-up process, some associations and faith groups made it known that they are ready to provide volunteers to clean up damaged areas of Bangkok. Their good intent is something that we all must try to emulate. Local communities can contribute by organising volunteers to assist in their neighbourhoods. No one can live happily if neighbours are suffering.

Fund-raising and donations are possible options to assist those affected. Those who are lucky enough to not be affected can contribute by sparing pennies to assist in finding temporary sites for people to live or earn a living.

The digital network will go into operation. It will be possible to form volunteer groups through Facebook and other social networking websites. Communities must also engage in surveillance to root out those who have evil intentions.

It was heartbreaking to see central Bangkok destroyed in only a couple of hours. What is more saddening is that these landmarks, which were built out of positive forces, were burned down in hatred. It took passion and years of effort to create these edifices. Many young innovators and small entrepreneurs were able to demonstrate their creative and commercial prowess through the products that they offered.

In spite of its old age and shabby appearance, the Siam Theatre was a venerable landmark. This theatre was a source of inspiration for young artists and filmmakers for four decades. With its spacious auditorium and Bt30 bags of popcorn, it was a haven for film fans who couldn't afford the multiplexes.

Financial activities will also be affected as dozens of banks were burned down.

This violence will not dampen our spirit. Over the past couple of days, Bangkok has wept. But the city will emerge stronger. Bangkok will rise from the ashes with the powerful forces of love, care and compassion. The terrible incidents of the past couple of days have showed the unimaginable result of how hatred, greed and ignorance can create massive destruction. But now it's time for us to show that the opposite forces of compassion, generosity and wisdom shall prevail.

Bangkok will be reborn stronger through our united will.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do indeed hope the good people of Thailand rise again,

I wish you best wishes in making this country great again, as it has been, and as it always will be,

My thoughts have no colours, not red,yellow, white or black, but the only troublesome thing i observe from this article is the use of the word "greed"

So far i have only heard it spoken from very well-to-do people.

In Nonthaburi the clean up has begun. Red Protesters from Thaicom on Rattanathibet ran wild and vandalised stores and lit fires on the protest's forgotten northern front. Central Rattanathibet and the Mall Ngamwongwan reopened yesterday. People in Nonthaburi, like their neighbors in Bangkok are happy to get back to normal life. A lady I buy coffee from returned to work yesterday. The previous day she stayed home in fear after shops on soi Rawadee were looted on Wednesday. Thai people are going to bounce back quickly and the reds represent only a small minority who see violence as an acceptable path. I'm glad that they have begun to return home. If they want to burn their own cities and homes so be it. But for the people in Bangkok I'm sure they are glad to see the back of their unwelcome guests.

Actually, I find this type of post very troubling.

It sort of fits into the "mai pben rai" attitude that Thais have...something that mightily figures into the current crisis. The perceived richness of the people in Bangkok compared to the perceived poorness of the people in rural villages. Mai pben rai.

I'm getting out after a year of living here as a retiree. When I notified my apartment manager (who happens to be Indian) he immediately said, "Oh, just wait 4 days. Everything will be perfect again."

It's sort of like "freedom"...once people get a taste of it, they're rarely satisfied until they really have it. You can't always put the animal back in the cage. I think the article is incredibly naive and is going to result in nothing really changing and more pressure building.

I'm serious, this kind of article makes me want to vomit...literally.

I am hopeful that this chapter can be put behind us a soon as possible, there are some very valid points that I do sympathize with the Red Shirts but the means of violence that they went to afterwards is not at all appropriate. My Wife (Thai) and I have huge affinity for this country and wish it all the best as it continues to grow and mature. I am hopeful that the Red Shirts will see progress made in the area of reconcilliation and we can move forward to build a better future.

I am also concerned about international companies that are willing to expand and grow now in Thialand. I am already hearing rumblings from companies that I am close to that there may be some limited if not stalled growth in their expansion plans here. This will be a shame, we can only hope that this is a temporary mindset and one that can be reversed quickly.

Cheers

CHS

WE LOVE BANGKOK DAY!

Not only Thais but "farangs" love this city. It is our home. And when we all saw it being politically"interrupted" for two months, we tried to be tolerant. We acted civilized as one would in any DEMOCRACY. Not getting into a political debate here, but 99% of us would not approve of the damage the "thugs" did to damage OUR city. Not to sound sappy, or slurpy, or dramatic, it would be a good move if the city officials had "We Love Bangkok Day" where we would show up at Luphini park to show our support for a better, reconciled city . A gathering of all "Bangkokians" showing each other support would psychologically get us looking positive for BKK's future. Yes, though I am a "farang",this is where I work, this is where I live. I want to go out and help to rebuild, clean up the city... to feel that Bangkok has not been defeated by these barbarians that did damage to the city.

The OP article is two-faced. The writer's assignment was to try and write as cheery an article as possible. Yet, even with that cherry picking attitude, it couldn't help but mention the grave harm that has been done recently.

One of the basic tenets of Buddhism is to do no harm. Added to that would be the idea of awareness and compassion - none of those attributes were shown by the so-called Buddhists who bankrolled or led the recent protests.

Thousands of regular people, mostly those residing in Bangkok, have been adversely affected. Many will be evicted from their residences, won't have enough to eat, won't have enough money for basic items and tuition and loan payment obligations. Those are just some of the people harmed by the Shinawatre funded idiots who commandeered downtown Bangkok for weeks.

I feel that to a certain extent the reds in Thailand were under a sort of spell; hooked by the rhetoric of fiery orators on stages and radio shows. You see it with fundamentalist religions as well. The violence in Bangkok and the realization that their great leaders won't fight to the death but would prefer to shop for Louis Vuitton may have broken the spell for many - I hope so anyway.

Edited by Loaded

Or sink like the Titanic

.....or like the Thaitanic

Seriously though, Thailand will move on. Cambodia moved on after the Khmers, Burma is troubled, but won't always be, so it too will move on. Hope springs eternal, especially in the faces and actions of little children. Yesterday, I played catch with a little Burmese boy, using a tennis ball. We just met. He kept wanting to kick it, and I kept trying to get him to use his hands - to get him started on being a future baseball star. Needs work.

What to do about the #1 enemy of Thailand? I don't know. Probably best is to try and keep him off the front pages of Thai newspapers (and block his inciteful phone-ins) and hope he eventually fades to insignificance.

WE LOVE BANGKOK DAY!

Not only Thais but "farangs" love this city. It is our home. And when we all saw it being politically"interrupted" for two months, we tried to be tolerant. We acted civilized as one would in any DEMOCRACY. Not getting into a political debate here, but 99% of us would not approve of the damage the "thugs" did to damage OUR city. Not to sound sappy, or slurpy, or dramatic, it would be a good move if the city officials had "We Love Bangkok Day" where we would show up at Luphini park to show our support for a better, reconciled city . A gathering of all "Bangkokians" showing each other support would psychologically get us looking positive for BKK's future. Yes, though I am a "farang",this is where I work, this is where I live. I want to go out and help to rebuild, clean up the city... to feel that Bangkok has not been defeated by these barbarians that did damage to the city.

Understand your position, but pls try also to see things from a different angle.

First time, and I would say finally, Thailand has awaken and it has seen how divided is the society, Bangkok has finally noticed that there are also upcountry people with their own rights and interests, people who have always been left behind and looked down by the richer and more educated urban folks.

It was painful, but let's hope this will not just go down in history as an isolated episode, a bad dream, because if this mistake is done, the next awakening could be much worse...

Time to understand that Bangkok is not Thailand and Thailand is not only Bangkok.

Time for the politicians to understand that they cannot go to ask for the votes of the upcountry people during elections and then forget about them when they are back in their seats at the Parliament.

It's the 21st Century, there is no space for a society from the middle ages.

In Nonthaburi the clean up has begun. Red Protesters from Thaicom on Rattanathibet ran wild and vandalised stores and lit fires on the protest's forgotten northern front. Central Rattanathibet and the Mall Ngamwongwan reopened yesterday. People in Nonthaburi, like their neighbors in Bangkok are happy to get back to normal life. A lady I buy coffee from returned to work yesterday. The previous day she stayed home in fear after shops on soi Rawadee were looted on Wednesday. Thai people are going to bounce back quickly and the reds represent only a small minority who see violence as an acceptable path. I'm glad that they have begun to return home. If they want to burn their own cities and homes so be it. But for the people in Bangkok I'm sure they are glad to see the back of their unwelcome guests.

:)

Or sink like the Titanic

Seriously though, Thailand will move on. Cambodia moved on after the Khmers, Burma is troubled, but won't always be, so it too will move on. Hope springs eternal, especially in the faces and actions of little children. Yesterday, I played catch with a little Burmese boy, using a tennis ball. We just met. He kept wanting to kick it, and I kept trying to get him to use his hands - to get him started on being a future baseball star. Needs work.

What to do about the #1 enemy of Thailand? I don't know. Probably best is to try and keep him off the front pages of Thai newspapers (and block his inciteful phone-ins) and hope he eventually fades to insignificance.

Just watch out how Bali quickly got back on her feet after 2002 damages... :)

Edited by lazygourmet

I feel that to a certain extent the reds in Thailand were under a sort of spell; hooked by the rhetoric of fiery orators on stages and radio shows. You see it with fundamentalist religions as well. The violence in Bangkok and the realization that their great leaders won't fight to the death but would prefer to shop for Louis Vuitton may have broken the spell for many - I hope so anyway.

Yes, propaganda..same same..well utilised by many (so called) superior races...i dont have to mention names (races)

but here, sadly money is the supreme entity, the supreme being.

As for your hopes...the masses have watched Thaksin splurge, buy football stations, indulge in all manner of extravagances, fill his own pockets from their own hardship and sweat...yet they still love him :)

WE LOVE BANGKOK DAY!

I wonder when we stop being "farengs". I have lived and worked here for many years...struggled with learning to read, write and speak the language, do volunteer and paid work, contribute to the country taxes and savings and live with my thai partner.

WE LOVE BANGKOK DAY!

I wonder when we stop being "farengs". I have lived and worked here for many years...struggled with learning to read, write and speak the language, do volunteer and paid work, contribute to the country taxes and savings and live with my thai partner. "Us and them" thinking is dangerous and got us into this trouble in the first place. There is "us and them" thinking between thais, and thais and foreigners and it it would be good if all players ( including the fareng involved)could acknowledge they let things get way out of hand. We see this thinking in all countries. It never ends well. Having said that an opportunity for peaceful, coming together of all factions to rebuild something together would have symboolic value - it would not heal wounds or the inequities that started this but it could be a start.

Edited by beatrice

It sort of fits into the "mai pben rai" attitude that Thais have...something that mightily figures into the current crisis. The perceived richness of the people in Bangkok compared to the perceived poorness of the people in rural villages. Mai pben rai.

I'm getting out after a year of living here as a retiree. When I notified my apartment manager (who happens to be Indian) he immediately said, "Oh, just wait 4 days. Everything will be perfect again."

It's sort of like "freedom"...once people get a taste of it, they're rarely satisfied until they really have it. You can't always put the animal back in the cage. I think the article is incredibly naive and is going to result in nothing really changing and more pressure building.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! :)

WE LOVE BANGKOK DAY!

I wonder when we stop being "farengs". I have lived and worked here for many years...struggled with learning to read, write and speak the language, do volunteer and paid work, contribute to the country taxes and savings and live with my thai partner.

The same time that Asians stop being Asians. :)

WE LOVE BANGKOK DAY!

I wonder when we stop being "farengs". I have lived and worked here for many years...struggled with learning to read, write and speak the language, do volunteer and paid work, contribute to the country taxes and savings and live with my thai partner. "Us and them" thinking is dangerous and got us into this trouble in the first place. There is "us and them" thinking between thais, and thais and foreigners and it it would be good if all players ( including the fareng involved)could acknowledge they let things get way out of hand. We see this thinking in all countries. It never ends well. Having said that an opportunity for peaceful, coming together of all factions to rebuild something together would have symboolic value - it would not heal wounds or the inequities that started this but it could be a start.

Ones a farang always a farang.

Still many restrictions compair to Thai people.

Or sink like the Titanic

Just watch out how Bali quickly got back on her feet after 2002 damages... :)

And Phuket after the tsunami

So this was an arcticle by The Nation. I wonder what they are doing to help? Has anyone seen them setting up a fund raiser account or done ANYTHING except write these biast arcticles?

Most of the businesses that were destroyed were owned by "THE ELITE" and do you think they give a rats arse about their employees? Does anyone know of ANY shop that is financially helping the poor employees? All I have read is the people that cannot pay their rent are being kicked out etc.

Has anyone seen Abhisit standing in front of Central World handing out the money that they siezed from Mr "T" as he should be. He should make an announcement that HE will take that recovered money from Mr "T" and buy food for the people and pay everyones rent and give donations back to the people where the money FIRST came from right?

I know that these things take time but right now time is of the essance so I hope he GETS ON IT !!!!!!

I also think that the names of these rented buildings that are kicking the tenants out for not paying their rent should be posted on the internet so we can all know where NOT to live.

Don't panic.

In my view this is far from over. The Red's will just regroup and wait for instructions from the T. camp Although I too wish for a peace and normality in this crazy but awesome country I fear the divisions are far to wide and with the loss of face it will take a long time to heal all of the rifts caused by the years of imbalance by the elite and the poor. As far as Buddha or buddhist goes Buddha left Thailand a long time ago

With the opening of MRT Subway this Sunday, let's hope that this is a signal of normality returning to Bangkok. (via @RichardBarrow)

I think what he meant to say was normalcy

The pedants will always be with us.

OED has normality as a word on its own - the primary meaning being the normal state.

OED has normalcy as a word, principally in N Amer., under the fifth meaning of the word normal, and gives its meaning as normality.

So, unless Richard was writing primarily for the N. Americans, he probably meant what he wrote.

- Another pedant -

In my view this is far from over. The Red's will just regroup and wait for instructions from the T. camp Although I too wish for a peace and normality in this crazy but awesome country I fear the divisions are far to wide and with the loss of face it will take a long time to heal all of the rifts caused by the years of imbalance by the elite and the poor. As far as Buddha or buddhist goes Buddha left Thailand a long time ago

You might be right, but I think the Red leadership will have their hands full for a long time to come, with legal fights, the typical Thaksin "Fleeing the country to avoid prosecution" response, and the huge stigma of having burned down large areas in Bangkok. Their strength, really, was an illusion, bought and paid for by Thaksin. This was never a grassroots "Power to the people" campaign. If that was the case, they wouldn't have need to have been paid to attend.