Patong Numbers

SAFC2010

Can anyone tell me what the numbers of punters are like in Patong at the moment.I've heard differant stories some say its ok then others say its dire at the moment.I know its now low season.I was there last may-june and it was ok.Has the events lately had much effect?

from "The Nation" today Sun 23rd May

We had taken a taxi to Patpong. Soldiers inspected each vehicle passing by. We started late in the morning. Although it was daytime, one could see instantly that it was different than normal days there.

Although Patpong is a popular area among foreigners, only a few were eating at a restaurant there. Amid the quiet atmosphere, guests and waitresses at the restaurant were tense or on the alert. They exchanged strange looks, watching every time somebody entered the restaurant or walked past each table.

A few foreigners hung out at a beverage shop nearby.

An ATM machine in front of a Foodland outlet had run out of cash. An officer at the bank told the shop manager it was too dangerous to transport more cash to fill the machine up again.

from "The Nation" today Sun 23rd May

We had taken a taxi to Patpong. Soldiers inspected each vehicle passing by. We started late in the morning. Although it was daytime, one could see instantly that it was different than normal days there.

Although Patpong is a popular area among foreigners, only a few were eating at a restaurant there. Amid the quiet atmosphere, guests and waitresses at the restaurant were tense or on the alert. They exchanged strange looks, watching every time somebody entered the restaurant or walked past each table.

A few foreigners hung out at a beverage shop nearby.

An ATM machine in front of a Foodland outlet had run out of cash. An officer at the bank told the shop manager it was too dangerous to transport more cash to fill the machine up again.

The OP asked about Patong in Phuket, and not Patpong in Bangkok. Phuket has no demonstrators. Lets not start an untrue rumour ... thank you.

I don't know about the night life but on 3 recent visits to Patong in the day time places

like Jungceylon shopping centre are just about empty and a restaurant we use frequently

which is normally full ever day is way down on trade only expats eating there at present

where normally they have lots of tourists to.

Now the protests have stopped in Bangkok tourists will come back but i think it will be awhile

before its like it normally is, not to long i hope, i feel sorry for local people trying to make a living.