Looking For Legal Help With Visa And Setting Up A Company

Another thing to consider carefully is the shared ownership of your company-to-be.

I guess you know that foreigners are not allowed to own a majority in a Thai company, which limits you to a maximum of 49% ownership.

Some law firms offer to arrange a system of nominees - basically spreading out the Thai part on small lots of 2-3% each

on a lot of people who don't know each other - thus giving you a solid control even though you only have 49%.

I would not recommend that. You will have a problem locating them all if you i.e. want to change law firm later etc.

A better way is to involve a trusted friend - of Thai origin of course.

If you do it ONLY with your wife/GF/spouse it will be:

you: 49%

her: 51%

Better to do it with a third part involved ( who you can trust to be on your side )

You: 48%

Her: 48% or 47%

Your friend; 4-5%

Also, if I remember it right, there might be a requirement for at least three board members.

Whatever you do, keep your in-laws/her family out of it! :)

Also make sure to register a wide range of objectives for your business, as the objectives ( type of business ) you

specify will determine what is tax-deductable and not in your bookkeeping.

Cheers :D

Another thing to consider carefully is the shared ownership of your company-to-be.

I guess you know that foreigners are not allowed to own a majority in a Thai company, which limits you to a maximum of 49% ownership.

Some law firms offer to arrange a system of nominees - basically spreading out the Thai part on small lots of 2-3% each

on a lot of people who don't know each other - thus giving you a solid control even though you only have 49%.

I would not recommend that. You will have a problem locating them all if you i.e. want to change law firm later etc.

A better way is to involve a trusted friend - of Thai origin of course.

If you do it ONLY with your wife/GF/spouse it will be:

you: 49%

her: 51%

Better to do it with a third part involved ( who you can trust to be on your side )

You: 48%

Her: 48% or 47%

Your friend; 4-5%

Also, if I remember it right, there might be a requirement for at least three board members.

Whatever you do, keep your in-laws/her family out of it! :)

Also make sure to register a wide range of objectives for your business, as the objectives ( type of business ) you

specify will determine what is tax-deductable and not in your bookkeeping.

Cheers :D

There must be a minimum of 3 shareholders, unless its a Limited Partnership, then it can be two, but the shareholding must be higher on the Thai side with a limited partnership than 51%

There must be a minimum of 3 shareholders, unless its a Limited Partnership, then it can be two, but the shareholding must be higher on the Thai side with a limited partnership than 51%

I have a Limited Partnership Thai side 48% + 4% = 52% My side 48%.

But.. 52% is more than 51%, that's very true.. :)

It was registered in 2002. Maybe the rules have changed since then.

After some disappointing experiences, 10 years ago, we had the good fortune to run into:

MSNA LTD.

47 Soi Pokaew, Nawamin Rd.

Klongchan, Bangkapi,

Bangkok 10240

Tel. 02.949 7239

Fax. 02.948 3934

Ask for Khun Rad

They are handling the bookkeeping for the Brittish- and American Chambers of Commerce, among others.

Taxation, Audits, Payroll, Company Set-up,

Work permits, Visa and many more.

We work with them for 10 years now and never looked back