Change Over From Dial Up To Adsl

Pattayatony

Im about to change from dial up to ADSL. I have a TT&T line in Jomtien. My knowledge of computers is below average, I have been reading about ADSL and it seems I need a different modum- router. Help is needed in knowing what type of modum-router I would need and which is the best ADSL to get. Please help this OLD GUY who is slower than the usual dial UP. Thanks in advance!!! :o

Whichever broadband service you subscribe to, True, TT&T, whoever will be able to provide you with an ADSL modem when they come to install the service.

They will get everything up and running for you, so dun worry too much.

The biggest decision you have is choosing which provider. Ive heard that True are the best. In Bangkok im using KSC, who really suck and in Phuket I use Pacific Internet through TOT, who suck even more. I dont know about Jomtien though.

Im about to change from dial up to ADSL. I have a TT&T line in Jomtien. My knowledge of computers is below average, I have been reading about ADSL and it seems I need a different modum- router. Help is needed in knowing what type of modum-router I would need and which is the best ADSL to get. Please help this OLD GUY who is slower than the usual dial UP. Thanks in advance!!! :o

I have true and its good but I plan changing to Buddy Broadband soon as they are very cheap and very high speed 650 baht/month for 2 Mbps! For Buddy Broadband, if you have a 123 call number then u wud get the modem and the installation wud be done for you free but if u dont then u must pay 1,000 baht. :D

I've also achieved geezerdom and here's my recent experience.

If you haven't done so check with TT&T to see if ADSL is available at your residence. If yes, then you'll need to choose an ISP (Internet Service Provider). The TT&T office at Carrefour on Pattaya Klang or the Naklua office has a sheet which lists the various providers and gives prices in terms of speed and usage as you desire.

You sign up for the ISP at the TT&T office and it'll be at least a week or more before the ADSL connection is made. You should then get a call from both TT&T and your ISP confirming the connection. It's a little less painful if you speak Thai or take someone with you who does. Take your passport and maybe a rough map of where you live. I use Ji-net 256/128 which is about 1600 baht/mo. with unlimited usage. There's a CSLoxinfo package which appears to be cheaper but it's Thailand only. Ask a friend or ask here if you need help in deciding what's best for you.

I believe each ISP will have specific models of modems or routers to use with their installation. That's the case with Ji-net. AFAIK Ji-net doesn't offer installation or at least I never saw any mention of it. They have instructions on their website which I downloaded for proper installation. It's all in Thai but it's illustrated so it is understandable. I already had the proper modem but couldn't get it to work and finally bought their suggested router. I did need the help of a friend to complete the installation. If the ISP you choose doesn't do installations you might consider getting someone to come in and do the install for you. Liberty Computer in Pattaya might be a good choice.

Good luck :D

-redwood

PattayaTony,

Check out the Pattaya Forum and you'll see quite a few links concerning adsl in Pattaya/Jomtien!

Redwoods post covered pretty much of it, apart from the fact TT&T has a new package called Maxnet, 512/256 at 790 Baht/month (+7%vat)

Have to mention though that I seem to be the only Maxnet customer to be getting close to rated speed :o . Most others however still get at least the speeds Ji-nets 256/128 package gave, but for less money :D

Indeed in Pattaya everything is do it yourself!!! Neither ISP nor TT&T comes at your home to set things up...

By the way, you can just buy any dsl modem/router you want.

This is certainly not ISP dependant, however some are more easy to set-up compared to others!

When I first got Ji-net, TT&T offered me a Xavi router at 1600 Baht.I took this and been happy with it. I use the same router now for my Maxnet package...

Another friend of mine got the Zyxel router and is not so happy with it...

hi'

my 2cts here ...

for a better quality, get yourself a linksys router, one that can make wifi as well,

a 2 or 4 ports and wifi, great tool and no limitation, it's your machine, not the provider's one :o

francois

• 4 weeks later...

The most important thing: Don't expect it to be any faster!

I got 5.50kb/s on the modem (usually connecting at 40kbps) - now we got 2.5Mbit-deal (~2560kbps) and I get a whopping 5-8 kb/s - even under-cutting the modem at peak-hours!

I'm so happy that I sing myself to sleep. "This TRUEly is a crap-connection."

(Ofcourse the above is regarding international traffic - but TRUE's 2.5Mbit ADSL line being beaten by a modem, that atleast was going at maxspeed all day around, is quite sad).