Never Take Your Eye Off The Ball

sceadugenga

I've had a large piece of an Australian gemstone called chrysoprase for a few years now.

It's very similar to Jade, a bit harder and more common.

A friend gave it to me and said if I had it carved to get him some amulets done so last month I finally found someone to do the job. Actually a friend of a friend knew someone.

She was a TaiYai lady and took it into Burma for the job.

My "charms and amulets" came back today. :)

IMG_1175.jpg

I would say every Thai Buddha amulet hanging around someone's neck looks like that when the casing is removed.

Just visit one of the 'amulet' shops - they have plenty of casings - from gold to plastic in all different shapes and sizes,

and the chains too. I'm sure you will find something nice.

Then, havng made one, make sure you wear it visible and when someone who is a collector ( who has lots of them in his taxi or around his neck )

asks you where it's from you give him a good story about some "ancient, special, unknown temple".

If you do it well, you might be able to sell the rest of them one by one for some 10.000 - 20.000 baht each :)

Good luck :D

Edited by JohanV

No, they're too big for that. It's not a problem, I'll give most of them to the guy who gave me the stone, I was going to keep a few to give away to family. The Mrs was very pleased with hers anyway so I'll give another to her mum.

I suppose my point in the OP was that it's a good idea to keep a close watch on things when you get anything like that done. The markets Mae Sai are full of the type of carvings I wanted so I should have grabbed a couple and said "this is what I want".

I've been looking for a stone carver for years anyway. He did quite a good job, apart from the obvious.

No, they're too big for that. It's not a problem, I'll give most of them to the guy who gave me the stone, I was going to keep a few to give away to family. The Mrs was very pleased with hers anyway so I'll give another to her mum.

I suppose my point in the OP was that it's a good idea to keep a close watch on things when you get anything like that done. The markets Mae Sai are full of the type of carvings I wanted so I should have grabbed a couple and said "this is what I want".

I've been looking for a stone carver for years anyway. He did quite a good job, apart from the obvious.

There's always Chess !?

If you had 12 of each, then carved another set out of a different coloured stone, say rose quartz, you could make up a game like drafts/checkers starting with the small pieces and substituting any that becomes a king with a large one.

Anyone stealing that idea, dibs on the copyright...

Hi sceadugenga,

"Jade" is commonly used to refer to a pair of minerals. While chrysophrase has a mohs hardness higher than nephrite (6-6.5) (Emerald Buddha), it is the same as jadeite. And yes, it can actually be nicer looking than nephrite.

Thais may value the carvings more highly as 'images' rather than 'amulets'. If you want to add a bit more to their appeal and brag factor, have a monk (the more revered the better) bless them (9 of them?), engrave an I.D. of some type into the base, and even create certificates.

Hi klikster, nice to see you posting here again.

I sent one around to my wife's mother and my father in law, a former monk, was definitely impressed and took personal possession of it.

Something like that appears to be going to happen with it.