Fastest Production Pickup Truck

Does anybody happen to have the official top speeds and torque numbers for production pickups in Thailand?

I drove up to Mai Sai from Chiang Mai doing a visa run in my chipped Pajero sport 3.2 and I was racing against some of the other boy racers on the road (as you do). I was quite surprised at the speed of some of the pickups, especially the Nissan Navara, which proved to be the most difficult to loose.

Another observation was the speed of the 2.5 turbo diesels, they didn't appear to be any slower than the 3.0 TD's. Which poses the question of why do people pay the extra for the 3.0 TD? I'm sure that I will get shot down in flames for this comment and as I haven't driven both vehicles.

For the folks that don't know this road, it's mountainous, with lots of bends and best suited for torquey vehicles.

Happy motoring :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question of Horsepower and Torque.

The 3-litre engines have 500 cc more, ergo, if tuned in the same way, more of both.

However, 3-litre engines mostly have an auto box, taking away some of both.

Or 4-wheel drive, also taking away some.

Remapping can give you around 25-30% extra power and torque.

Remapping and changing the intercooler can give you another 25-30%, but might in the long run overstress the engine.

Maybe to be on the safe side having the chip & intercooler job doing someting about the brakes might be handy.

Why the 2.5 don't seem slower as the 3.0, autobox & 4-wheel drive, or maybe the drivers are more easygoing.

But I would spend the extra money for the 500 cc.

If autobox, most certainly

Ford, Isuzu, and I thought Toyota, import the Thai made pickups in Europe nowadays.

Strictly 2500 cc

The auto versions are all 3000 cc, with autobox and 4WD

The pajero if I remember right, in 4WD and Auto box has 3200 cc?

Have a look in the websites of the factories, or the websites in Europe for the amount of power and torque.

Edited by hansnl

I have a 3.0 Diesel Fortuner, which is basically a Vigo with a different cab and also a 2.5 L turbo diesel Chevrolet Colorado

The Fortuner despite being a much heavier vehicle and an automatic was a LOT faster and also the different weight distribution made it feel very stable on the road even at 180+. And I've taken it on the Chiang Mai - Mae Sai run many times and its weight made some of the corners tricky, but its power and torque made up for it.

The 2.5 lt Colorado, even though much lighter and a manual is far less powerful and seems to have a narrower power range than the Fortuner. Its also got the very bad characteristic of pickups in being very front weighted and thus very prone to becoming unstable.

The Fortuner would easily beat every pick up on that route through both power and a greater ability to hold the road through corners, despite me feeling the Fortuner's weight made the corners tricky, it still was much better than any pick up.

I have had a Vigo keep up with me for a long distance, but he eventually fell behind. No other pickup can even get close

I have a 3.0 Diesel Fortuner, which is basically a Vigo with a different cab and also a 2.5 L turbo diesel Chevrolet Colorado

The Fortuner despite being a much heavier vehicle and an automatic was a LOT faster and also the different weight distribution made it feel very stable on the road even at 180+. And I've taken it on the Chiang Mai - Mae Sai run many times and its weight made some of the corners tricky, but its power and torque made up for it.

The 2.5 lt Colorado, even though much lighter and a manual is far less powerful and seems to have a narrower power range than the Fortuner. Its also got the very bad characteristic of pickups in being very front weighted and thus very prone to becoming unstable.

The Fortuner would easily beat every pick up on that route through both power and a greater ability to hold the road through corners, despite me feeling the Fortuner's weight made the corners tricky, it still was much better than any pick up.

I have had a Vigo keep up with me for a long distance, but he eventually fell behind. No other pickup can even get close

That's interesting because I didn't have a single Fortuner keep up with me on my trip there or back from Mae Sai in my Pajero. The only vehicle that held me up was a Navara, but once we hit a hill I went flying past, I guess that's where the chipped torque kicks in.....

THe top-selling ute in UK is the Navara - in terms of HP it is on a par or slightly more than the 3 litre Vigo.

The manual version has a 6 speed box to keep it in the rev band though.

In tests in the UK both the Triton and Nissan were 2.5 litre and the Vigo 3 - but surprisingly it's towing weight was a lot less than either of the smaller engine. THey're all 4WD.

An engine is just a mechanism for turning fuel not motion - really the CC doesn't matter at all - the design of the engine does and the way it is set up - for many years F! was restricted to 1.5 litre for turbos!

CC is normally decided by local tax laws rather than performance requirements as on a "normal" road vehicle they can be achieved with ANY engine.

UK has an1800 cc tax threshold for company cars - and in general the engines in UK are quite small but the power to weight ratio and overall performance is quite often better than big engine options available elsewhere.

What surprises me - and I'm assuming that the other drivers were Thai - is that you had any difficulty "losing them" at all - I drive a 7 year old pick and usually show a clean pair of heals to all other road users pick up Merc, Beemer whatever - especially around the hills of Mae Hong Son.

conclusion - it's not the trucks it's the driver.

conclusion - it's not the trucks it's the driver.

so true

but OP s question

Vigo 2 door 3,0 VN manual 2wd

Navara only comes with 144 hp as 2wd, so no chance

4x4 Navara 177hp is on par with Vigo 3,0 4x4, but must be within a smaller powerband (2000-3600 rpm), while Vigo is 1400-3600 rpm.

I find my 2010 Vigo 3,0VN auto 4x4 4 door to be faster than my 2005 Fortuner 3,0 4x4 auto was. Better handling and better brakes too

Edit, or just get a Dodge Ram 8,0 V10, the Viper engine. 2 door manual

Edited by katabeachbum

Your maths/sums or where you are getting your info from are inaccurate!

You are confusing power and torque.

Navara 4 x 4. - Power = 128 kw (ps)/174 hp at 4000 rpm

Max torque 403 Nm at 2000 rpm

Vigo 4 x 4. - Power = 120 kw/163 hp at 3,400 rpm

Max torque 343 Nm 1400 - 3200 rpm

But lets not allow stats to get in the way of a good discussion.

Horsespower is what you read about, torque is what you feel, and the 4 x 4 Nav is one torquey SOB :)

I concur - the only pickup that I have trouble losing in my (mildly modded) 2.5L Pajero Sport GT is the Navara 6MT.

As for stock figures, here's some numbers for PPV's (pickups will do better due to power:weight and MT) pulled from a Thai motoring journo who does *very* in-depth tests:

0-100 KM/Hr - average of 4 runs

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4X4: 15.12

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4X4: 13.28

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4X2: 12.71

G-Wagon 2.8 4AT 4X4: 17.33

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4X4: 13.91

Pajero Sport 2.5 4AT 4X2: 15.11

Ford Everest 2.5 AT 4X2: 16.05

Mind you, getting off the line is not the Automatic, 2000KG PPV's forte - the performance once you're actually underway belies these numbers..

Have you measured your 0-100 time yet?

My PJS shaves several seconds off the best times in the list here :)

I'm trying to figure out why people are trying to set land speed records in pick up trucks :D .

They've never been a good vehicle handling wise, so I wonder why people always seem to want to push the envelope. :)

trans,

You are preaching to the converted, i don't dare even want to think about the money ive spent purchasing and modding vehicles. However, talk of speeds of 180km/h (50 metres per second) in a vigo or fortuner on a road open to the public where somchai on his wave, grandad on his bicycle & any countless number of stray animals, potholes & so forth is really just stupid stuff. :)

trans,

You are preaching to the converted, i don't dare even want to think about the money ive spent purchasing and modding vehicles. However, talk of speeds of 180km/h (50 metres per second) in a vigo or fortuner on a road open to the public where somchai on his wave, grandad on his bicycle & any countless number of stray animals, potholes & so forth is really just stupid stuff. :)

I can't see anyone here saying they generally like to "hang out" at 180km/hr in their PPV, so not sure where you're shooting from? Reality as T/A says, HP is just one of those things that's in your blood, or it's not. If you must, consider it a safety offensive, given the shorter amount of time it takes to overtake on 2-way roads, thus substantially reducing the chances of a head-on :D

That said, have you ever driven on highways like the one's arouind around Uttaradit? Those who have can complete the next sentence ;P

In closing, we're not all schoolkids jacked up on hormones and w/out skills and common sense. There's a time and a place for everything..

BTW, If ThaiHog managed to hit 180km/hr on the Doisaket - Chong Mok Kaew leg of his Chiangmai - Mae Sai journey, he deserves a gold star :) In fact if he managed a time of 1 hour or less, he can have a trophy :D

Before you all jump on your high horse, I jest!

It's Sunday afternoon (which is traditionally motor racing time is it not) so I'm allowed to have my fun :D

trans,

I can't see anyone here saying they generally like to "hang out" at 180km/hr in their PPV, so not sure where you're shooting from? Reality as T/A says, HP is just one of those things that's in your blood, or it's not. If you must, consider it a safety offensive, given the shorter amount of time it takes to overtake on 2-way roads, thus substantially reducing the chances of a head-on :D

That said, have you ever driven on highways like the one's arouind around Uttaradit? Those who have can complete the next sentence ;P

In closing, we're not all schoolkids jacked up on hormones and w/out skills and common sense. There's a time and a place for everything..

Hello MRO,

Its already been mentioned in the thread the 180+, thats where I'm shooting from. As for HP being in the blood, I can assure you I know exactly what you are talking about.

You're point about the overtaking is misguided nonesense, I've heard all those types of arguements for years & of course all experienced punters here realise that in most places, including LOS, its an offence to exceed the speed limit, for overtaking purposes. Clearly if you need that much HP to get past, you probably shouldnt be going past. :D Of course then theres my real point I was trying to make, nothing else on the vehicle matches the HP, the brakes, suspension, vehicles dynamics etc, they are aweful vehicles to drive at speed and awefully unstable @ times.

Of course if your talking HP for pulling out stumps, thats another story :D

Anyway, here in Thailand I appreciate some of that, if not all of it won't sit so well as I know how things roll here :D .

Anyway, my point wasnt to digress the thread completely but surely almost anyone can realise that too much HP out of any of these beasts is utterly pointless, they're not designed for it, nor can any level of saftey be maintained when extracting the upper levels of performance from vehicles spec'ed up too far above standard.

A good example of a very well advanced motor company actually doing this to one of their very own vehicles was what Merceedes Benze did with their SL65 AMG - Black Series. They took a car with really awesome specs and transformed it into a Monster (670kw/1000nm) & at the end of the day 99.9% of people who drove it on a race track could actually lap quicker with the standard spec SL65. I believe the guys at TOP GEAR had a run in this monster and drew conclusions similar to this.

I've always had some form of pick-up in my personal vehicle line up but have seen no shortage of the buggas upside down as well. (fortunately not with me at the controls).

My business partner has one (the SL65 AMG), so I know all about it, thanks for the heads up though :)

He enjoyed (OK, he said that, but did he really mean it?) driving the PJS between Surin and Pattaya last month too :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Does anybody happen to have the official top speeds and torque numbers for production pickups in Thailand?

Sorry, I missed this - here's the top speeds (which was your actual Q) but for PPV's - no data on pickups though.

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4x4: 160 @ 4300/4th

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x4: 185 @ 3500/4th

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x2: 185 @ 3500/4th

G-Wagon 2.8 4AT 4x4: 162 @ 3750/4th

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4x4: 182 @ 3600/4th

Pajero Sport 2.5 4AT 4x2: 172 @ 3400/4th

Everest 2.5 5AT 4x2: 155 @ 3100/5th

Torque is not just a number, it's a bandwidth..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

You're point about the overtaking is misguided nonesense

I was just pissing in your pocket neverdie (and anyone else that wanted to become town crier) - if you don't understand yet, you never will, never die or nor not :)-1 point.

I've heard all those types of arguements for years & of course all experienced punters here realise that in most places, including LOS, its an offence to exceed the speed limit

Oh shock horror. 100-200 baht at the window. Must be a horrifc offence. -1 point

Clearly if you need that much HP to get past, you probably shouldnt be going past. :D

See here, you're becoming somewhat cool - I like a sense of humour :D+2 points.

Of course then theres my real point I was trying to make, nothing else on the vehicle matches the HP, the brakes, suspension, vehicles dynamics etc, they are aweful vehicles to drive at speed and awefully unstable @ times.

That's half the challenge neverdie. -1 point.

Of course if your talking HP for pulling out stumps, thats another story :D

ROFL! :D+3 points.

Anyway, here in Thailand I appreciate some of that, if not all of it won't sit so well as I know how things roll here :) .

Understanding one's environment. +1 point

Anyway, my point wasnt to digress the thread completely but surely almost anyone can realise that too much HP out of any of these beasts is utterly pointless

It's never pointless, just a challenge. -2 points

A good example of a very well advanced motor company actually doing this to one of their very own vehicles was what Merceedes Benze did with their SL65 AMG - Black Series. They took a car with really awesome specs and transformed it into a Monster (670kw/1000nm) & at the end of the day 99.9% of people who drove it on a race track could actually lap quicker with the standard spec SL65. I believe the guys at TOP GEAR had a run in this monster and drew conclusions similar to this.

Dissing on a credentialled supercar -2 points. Understanding the limits of mere mortals: +1 point.

I've always had some form of pick-up in my personal vehicle line up but have seen no shortage of the buggas upside down as well. (fortunately not with me at the controls).

Irrelevant (talking about 3rd parties) - no points awarded

Overall, a score of even which I have to admit is better than what I initially thought you'd get :D

I like you, you're actually OK :)

It's discusting. My problem is: How can exiting about a 4 potter diesel, when had the "real stuff" in our homecountry?

BTW, have a Ford Wildtrack overhere. Nice looking truck (it looks at least american made). The downside is the 4 potter diesel. Good for town, enought power in the lower speedrange. But not to compare with a V8 or V10. Therefore i use it very rare (maybe once a month).

MRO,

I have never really been a fan of the 'points system', you see back home the local HWP/BIB operate a points system & after acquiring 12 of them they take ur drivers licence away. :D:D

anyway, at least on you're points rating system I can still legally drive. Now HP, how is it relevant again, please don't tell me SAFETY :)

I concur - the only pickup that I have trouble losing in my (mildly modded) 2.5L Pajero Sport GT is the Navara 6MT.

As for stock figures, here's some numbers for PPV's (pickups will do better due to power:weight and MT) pulled from a Thai motoring journo who does *very* in-depth tests:

0-100 KM/Hr - average of 4 runs

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4X4: 15.12

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4X4: 13.28

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4X2: 12.71

G-Wagon 2.8 4AT 4X4: 17.33

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4X4: 13.91

Pajero Sport 2.5 4AT 4X2: 15.11

Ford Everest 2.5 AT 4X2: 16.05

Mind you, getting off the line is not the Automatic, 2000KG PPV's forte - the performance once you're actually underway belies these numbers..

Have you measured your 0-100 time yet?

My PJS shaves several seconds off the best times in the list here :)

As one would expect, those times are pretty slow compared to many sedans. I'd like to see some times for modified pickups, as well as what is more relevant: 80-120 km/h times (or possibly up to 160 km/h). At those speeds they can compete and out run many cars..

It's discusting. My problem is: How can exiting about a 4 potter diesel, when had the "real stuff" in our homecountry?

BTW, have a Ford Wildtrack overhere. Nice looking truck (it looks at least american made). The downside is the 4 potter diesel. Good for town, enought power in the lower speedrange. But not to compare with a V8 or V10. Therefore i use it very rare (maybe once a month).

quite agree, the 4 pot diesels cant compare

would love to have a V8 here, if only!! Dream on eh?

The Aussies have a couple of nice pick ups

hsv-maloo-ute-4-big.jpg

image42398_b.jpg

Edited by Donnyboy

As one would expect, those times are pretty slow compared to many sedans. I'd like to see some times for modified pickups, as well as what is more relevant: 80-120 km/h times (or possibly up to 160 km/h). At those speeds they can compete and out run many cars..

No problemo, can do :)

80-120km/hr, average of 4 runs:

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4x4: 11.35

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x4: 10.3

Fortuner 3.0v 4AT 4x2: 10.14

G-Wagon 2.8 4AT 4x4: 14.79

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4x4: 10.86

Pajero Sport 2.5 4AT 4x2: 12.35

Everest 2.5 5AT 4x2: 11.99

My modded Pajero sport 2.5 does this in 8s +/- 0.2s, depending on ambient temp, heat soak from sitting in traffic etc.

These are all PPV's though, not pickups - the latter would of course manage better times.

And jumping the gun, here's some top speed specs:

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4x4: 160 @ 4,300 rpm

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x4: 185 @ 3,500 rpm

Fortuner 3.0v 4AT 4x2: 185 @ 3,500 rpm

G-Wagon 2.8 4AT 4x4: 162 @ 3,750 rpm

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4x4: 182 @ 3,600 rpm

Pajero Sport 2.5 4AT 4x2: 172 @ 3,400 rpm

Everest 2.5 5AT 4x2: 155 @ 3,100 rpm

As you can see, an 80-160 time would actually be impractical for some of the field :)

And to round it out, let's throw in some fuel economy specs :)

These numbers were derived from a 94km long highway route, sitting on a constant 110km/hr.

Fortuner 2.7V 4AT 4x4: 9.02 km/l

Fortuner 3.0V 4AT 4x4: 10.63 km/l

Fortuner 3.0v 4AT 4x2: 12.37 km/l

G-Wagon 2.8 4AT 4x4: [no data]

Pajero Sport 3.2 4AT 4x4: 11.61 km/l

Pajero Sport 2.5 4AT 4x2: 12.68 km/l

Everest 2.5 5AT 4x2: 11.61 km/l

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Thanks for all that info. I wonder how the ford ranger and isuzu compare?

MRO, I was looking at the mitsu triton megacab vs the double cab on their website. It seems that for the 2.5 diesel. There are two engines rated at different HP. Is this correct? I would have thought a megacab with 140hp + manual + some mods should be fairly wuick.

Thanks for all that info. I wonder how the ford ranger and isuzu compare?

MRO, I was looking at the mitsu triton megacab vs the double cab on their website. It seems that for the 2.5 diesel. There are two engines rated at different HP. Is this correct? I would have thought a megacab with 140hp + manual + some mods should be fairly wuick.

Correct, the Triton 2.5L comes in two variants: 116HP and 140HP. Both are the 4D56 family engine (commonrail intercooled turbo) - I haven't looked into what the specific differences are though I'm afraid.

The 140HP variant is what's in my PJS, so with 400-odd kilos less weight and no slushbox to slow it down, the megacab should make mince meat of it :D

To get an idea of what the Ranger can do, just look at the Everest numbers above. Not super flash.. As for the Isuzu, I have a 2.5L one of these and I can tell you that it's just not in the same ballpark. Not by a long shot. Great on fuel though, cheap as chips, and excellent for pulling tree stumps :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis