Taking Our Daughter Back To Uk

I am a british citizen and my wife holds a British passport

My wife is due to give birth to our daughter very soon in Thailand.

I am currently in the UK working and my wife and family will join me after the baby is 2 months old.

What are my options for getting our daughter back to England

1.Get a British passport from embassy in bangkok ( does this mean i have to be present present when applying ) Not possible due to work commitments

2.Get a Thai passport and a visa to visit UK ( again would I need to be present )

3.???

Thanks

Eddie

Obtaining a British passport for your daughter will be, in my opinion, the simplest way.

Your wife should be able to do this. See How to register a birth from the British embassy. I would recommend that you send the necessary evidence of your nationality, rather than your wife transferring hers. There are subtle, but important, differences between nationality received from a parent who is British by birth and that received from a parent who is British by naturalisation to do with your daughter's future ability to pass her British nationality on to her children.

I'd recommend obtaining a Thai passport for her as well. She then uses her Thai passport to enter and leave Thailand and her British passport to enter and leave the UK; as your wife presumably does.

Thanks for the advice 7by7,

looks like thatwill be the way to go.

Eddie

If i send my passport,birth certificate(long form) to my wife

can she post the application to the embassy in Bangkok

or does she have to be there in person

thanks

Eddie

Edited by eddie11

If i send my passport,birth certificate(long form) to my wife

can she post the application to the embassy in Bangkok

or does she have to be there in person

From How to register a birth

Birth registration/passport applications may be made in person or by post (straight forward applications only). Consular Section is open to the public Monday to Thursday 08.00 – 11.00, 13.00 – 15.15 hrs and Friday 08.00 – 12.00 noon. We aim to process birth registrations within 5 working days
But further down the page it says.
You may wish to apply for a first passport for your child at the same time as you apply to register their birth. Please note that children can no longer be added to the passport of the parent; they must hold a separate passport. The fee for a child's passport (valid for five years) is Baht 4,075.Please complete a C2 passport application form in full and submit it in person with payment, courier fee Baht 962 and evidence of the child's British nationality ie either a British birth certificate or the full documentation for a birth certificate as listed overleaf. We require two recent, identical photographs, one of which must be countersigned. Please read carefully the photo specifications attached or view the sample of the photo.

(My emphasis)

First passport applications have to be made in person so that biometrics can be taken, but I'm not sure if this applies to an infant. All I can suggest is that you contact the embassy, unless someone here knows for sure.

First passport applications have to be made in person so that biometrics can be taken, but I'm not sure if this applies to an infant. All I can suggest is that you contact the embassy, unless someone here knows for sure.

WRONG. Biometrics are not taken from either adults or children, not now, not ever, never (source: the Rt Hon David Cameron MP). The first time applicant simply encloses photos which meets biometric criteria, even if it is a week old baby. Both adult and child first time applications must be submitted and paid for in person at the Bangkok Embassy or Chiang Mai consulate. The applicant may subsequently be invited for interview. Everything you need to know is on the Embassy Website