Police Raid Bangkok Pubs In City Drug Search

george

Police raid pubs in city drug search

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan police raided 34 pubs and bars in Bangkok on Friday night, carrying out drug tests and checking for underage drinkers.

Some 1,000 officers were involved in the operation, part of the Metropolitan Police Bureau's social-order campaign.

Police said the operation was aimed curbing underage drinking.

Several people, mostly staff, tested positive for drugs following a raid on the Krung Thong Complex in Thon Buri, police said.

Police Maj-General Viroj Jantharangsri, deputy chief of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, said he was interrogating the venue's owner and would suspend the complex's licence if he found the owner was involved in any illegal activity.

At the Night Speed pub on Kanchanapisek-Bangkae Road, police drug tested staff and patrons for more than two hours but none of the tests came back positive.

Underage drinkers and parents who take their children to venues that serve alcohol face arrest and a fine, police said.

Pub owners who serve underage drinkers face three months in jail and/or a maximum fine of Bt30,000.

--The Nation 2005-06-19

Interesting story, George. What struck me most were the last two paragraphs:

Underage drinkers and parents who take their children to venues that serve alcohol face arrest and a fine, police said.

Pub owners who serve underage drinkers face three months in jail and/or a maximum fine of Bt30,000.

In late April this year, in the Pattaya Forum, a Norwegian who allegedly attempted to rape a 12 year old girl was arrested by police, but no action was taken against the girl's parents for allowing her to be on licenced premises at around 12.30am.

Is there a change in the wind? Are police going to crack down on children in bars, accompanied by their parents?

Peter

What a waste of time and effort.

Possibly just an excuse to give the boys in brown some overtime.

What happened to the crackdown on beggers?

Yes..whatever happened to that? It lasted about two weeks didn't it. No begging gangs and no tea money I guess..What gets me is that here we are asking this..but what are the bloody news reporters doing who get PAID to follow up on this sort of thing? Are they waiting for some Pooyai to comment on it first? Pathetic.. :o

In late April this year, in the Pattaya Forum, a Norwegian who allegedly attempted to rape a 12 year old girl was arrested by police, but no action was taken against the girl's parents for allowing her to be on licenced premises at around 12.30am.

Peter

err.. prioritys? :o

Exactly !!! :D And the dude was drunk of his face and misunderstood the situation as the mother dressed up her doughter as the rest of the chicks in the bar , dancing and learning tricks from the bar girls .

It's interesting to see WHERE these raids were taking place. Instead of harassing Tourists at NEP or Soi Cowboy, these raids were directed towards places far off the regular tourist track! Maybe somebody high up finally got embarassed about raiding bars used mainly by middle aged men in the name of "protecting the morality of young Thai's".

What a waste of time and effort.

Possibly just an excuse to give the boys in brown some overtime.

What happened to the crackdown on beggers?

but what are the bloody news reporters doing who get PAID to follow up on this sort of thing?

They're freelancing the story to western papers and magazines further depressing tourist numbers and causing further embarresment to TRT - plus they get better paid for sending the story overseas (assuming it's published).

Posters so far seem to have missed the point I was trying to make: Are police clamping down on children in bars?

In Australia it's illegal for under 18 year olds to be on licenced premises - unless with a parent, guardian, or friend who is over 18 years.

From by observations in Thailand police crackdowns are very short and seem to take place when the media and politicians make some noise about it - and are present.

During my first visit to Phuket 4 years ago, I wandered into Patong to check out the nightlife.

The bars were almost empty. The staff outside the bars looked like they were heading out to a meal - rather than promoting their bars. The girls were in dresses, the guys in jeans and shirts.

'No sexy show tonight, police come,' I was told. Sure enough, 10 minutes later a large group of police, media and politicians arrived, making sure that everything and everybody was respectable.

'Everything back to normal tomorrow - you come back,' I was told. Sure enough the following night the ladies and guys were in their skimpy costumes and the entertainment places were packed.

I love Thailand. I guess my only grizzle is the lack of consistancy.

Peter