Storm Warning

A government car with speakers is passing in Thong Sala, Koh Phangan, warning people about a possible storm/typhoon expected for the 12th June.

I have checked the Thai Meteorological Office website, but no track of any storm for the next days.

Any news from Samui???

Edit in bold

Edited by angiud

My girl is a nurse and she is telling me that it is an Earthquake that is expected. She works in a 12 story building so as you can imagine she doesn't want to work that day.

I have told her I am going to get drunk so I will be happy when I die. She hasn't mentioned it again.

Maybe it's a 12.12.2012 issue?? Some locals talk here since days about the 12.06. and some kind of natural disaster......??????

Thais are panicking because the doomsdayers are predicting distaster when all the planets are in alignment on 12th June. But then in a country with the lowest levels of education what more could you expect ?

In Samui the firestation is testing their loudspeakers for tomorrow. My work place (beach resort) is also considering protective actions. Couln't believe I missed the news and tried to search for official warning from Internet....and found these relieving comments. Once again this forum did it job well :)

Thai Meteorological Dept Denies Speculation Of Massive Quake, Tsunami - Thailand Forum

Meteorological Dept denies speculation of massive quake, tsunami

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Meteorological Department warns people not to panic about a speculation of an impending powerful earthquake and tsunami, which may hit Thailand tomorrow.

The Meteorological Department yesterday announced that none of the disaster-monitoring centers worldwide had issued any warning about a major quake which, as rumored, would occur on 12 June 2010. The statement said that no one could predict as to where or when an earthquake would take place.

The Meteorological Department assured that a quake, if occurring in the Andaman Sea, would have little impacts on Thailand. A tsunami, if occurring in the Pacific, can only be caused by the movement of the underwater fault line lying west of the Philippines. In that case, it would take around 14 hours for a massive wave to travel over thousands of kilometers before reaching Thailand.

The quake rumor spreading on the Internet has caused quite a stir among the public. It warned people not to travel to the seaside and to expect a major quake and giant waves to hit Thailand this weekend.

NNT

Been hearing this for days now and I live in Khao Lak. All I hear when I leave the house is about a tsunami is coming very soon. Check it on the net, its about the planets aligning and the gravitational pull will cause natural disasters... apparently. Better stock up on food and water as the next month looks for a choppy ride, thank god the world cup will be on

In Samui the firestation is testing their loudspeakers for tomorrow. My work place (beach resort) is also considering protective actions. Couln't believe I missed the news and tried to search for official warning from Internet....and found these relieving comments. Once again this forum did it job well :D

Yeah, disaster TRAINING - only it was forgotten, or overlooked to tell the people that it is a training ONLY not the real thing......

TiT!

:)

What would one expect?

As usual, how much they may train it looked tome that if there was the real thing, it would be a disaster....

Edited by Samuian

In Samui the firestation is testing their loudspeakers for tomorrow. My work place (beach resort) is also considering protective actions. Couln't believe I missed the news and tried to search for official warning from Internet....and found these relieving comments. Once again this forum did it job well :D

Yeah, disaster TRAINING - only it was forgotten, or overlooked to tell the people that it is a training ONLY not the real thing......

TiT!

:)

What would one expect?

As usual, how much they may train it looked tome that if there was the real thing, it would be a disaster....

yep ALL Over the coast of thailand was preparing for a potensial tsamui. don't worry doesn't mean that one is coming. just getting prepared. all over thailand.

blink.gif

Why on earth is this a pinned topic?

Is TV taking the spooky messages serious, even if there's no sign of any storm or typhoon ? unsure.gif

LaoPo

blink.gif

Is TV taking the spooky messages serious, even if there's no sign of any storm or typhoon ? unsure.gif

LaoPo

Please bear with me LaoPo, consulting with my fortune teller & my psychic on how it got pinned.Something to do with gravitational forces, playing havoc with TV's new system maybe?

Will keep you posted, if we don't drown , or slide down a mountain.

blink.gif

LaoPo

Please bear with me LaoPo, consulting with my fortune teller & my psychic on how it got pinned.Something to do with gravitational forces, playing havoc with TV's new system maybe?

Will keep you posted, if we don't drown , or slide down a mountain.

Copy that Rooo; don't forget your life vest wink.gif

LaoPo

I'm so glad I joined this forum, even though I'm just your standard issue lurker.

The family is on vacation in Chon Buri right now, and the wife called me to ask me what's going on; neighbors are claiming a tsunami is about to hit Satahip.

I'm all over the 'net, looking for information. USGS, Pacific Tsunami Warning Centers... nothing!

So, I know I've gotten tons of good info from here in the past, and.. here we are.

Thanks folks.

Psychic says, no idea. New buttons on the forum must have confused poor Mr. Rooo.... :) unpinned

unsure.gifIt wasn't me , I had no electricbiggrin.gif couldn't post or see a thing.. Must have been my telepathy, scary.

Hard to type with my diving gear on. Now where did I put that old surfboard ?

About 10 days ago a friend came to visit me from Phuket. She said that people were saying then that June 12 there would be a tsunami. The kicker was that people were told (by whom no one knows) that if they bought and wore a ring with a single pearl on it, they would survive the deadly waves. Apparently, these rings are selling like hotcakes. Any Phuket people out there can confirm this?

*opens market stall selling solitaire pearl rings*

Come one, be original and don't follow someone else's money making scenario. Make up your own diabolical end-of the world-story with planets aligning and you can only pevent personal disaster by hanging a specific 9,950 Baht piece of crap around your neck. Good thing for all the people that you just had 100,000 of these specific pieces of crap manuafctured for 5 Bhat each and you are willing to sell...

In Samui the firestation is testing their loudspeakers for tomorrow. My work place (beach resort) is also considering protective actions. Couln't believe I missed the news and tried to search for official warning from Internet....and found these relieving comments. Once again this forum did it job well :)

Whoops! Sorry pressed the wrong button!

As an aside, after the last Tsunami The Americans donated a Tsunami sensor on a buoy planted a few hundred miles out in the Indian Ocean. This buoy would transmit info giving places like Phuket sufficient warning of an impending Tsunami.

However,after a few years the batteries have gone flat and it is the responsibility of Thailand to replace them. The last I read, the Thai Government was squabbling as to funding of

the replacement batteries as it required a naval vessel to take them out to the Buoy which was no longer working.

Perhaps someone has an update but personally I wouldn't count on getting advance warning from this piece of equipment. :)

Beautiful sunny morning on Samui! Clouds and wind have gone, for the time being...........

Good rain last night, much needed.

Yeah' it hit when I was just attending Samui's Bike Week at Phru Chaweng...but true a thumbs up for the downpour!

Beautiful sunny morning on Samui! Clouds and wind have gone, for the time being...........

Good rain last night, much needed.

Yeah' it hit when I was just attending Samui's Bike Week at Phru Chaweng...but true a thumbs up for the downpour!

satellite TV missed a bit of the SA-Mexico game because of the rain.