K-1 Visa For Usa Girlfriend-Chances Of Success?

I have read the forum with great interest regarding what I am going to do-start the application for a K-1 Visa for my girlfriend. However based on her circumstances and my recent circumstances I do not believe she will be approved. Please offer your opinion.

We have been together for nearly two years and have lived together for 1.5 years of that time. She has two children who live with her mother. My girlfriend does not work, does not have any property but she has a bank account that I put money into every month she she appears to be receiving a salary. She has a basic high school education.

I on the other hand was an administrator at a small school but was recently laid off. So I am here now in a double entry visa. We have decided to go to New York where I am from and start our lives there. The children will not be going with us when we go the first time.

Based on the various posts in this forum I feel as though they will reject her application. Opinions?

You do understand that the K1 visa is a dual intent so to speak visa.

Meaning your fiancé(e) will enter the US with you & you have intent to marry her within 90 days..

But to marry her you need to show the US she will not be a burden to the US....

As such you need to show tax returns showing you live above the poverty level by X %

Your job sounds sketchy? correct?

If so you will also need a sponsor then to take your place financially promise wise.

As for all the things you listed about the girl it does not really matter.

This is a K1 not a tourist visa

A tourist visa yes she need to show compelling reasons to return to Thailand etc.

But K1 is on you to show you can afford to marry & support her at least initially.

So it is not a lost case but it requires you to do the proper work to make your application a success.

You do also realize it takes awhile yes?

Edited by flying

What Flying said in his reply is absolutely correct., A K1 visa is an intent to marry visa, in essence you are getting a visa for your Fiance so she can come to the US where you must marry with in 90 days,upon marriage you will have to apply for change of status ( green card)and at the same time you can apply for a conditional SSN and work permit so that she can work while waiting for Green card.also if you want you can apply for travel permit if she need to travel before she is issued a green card. ,

For me and my fiance it took about 1 year from application to visa . I dont remember the exact amount for the application , but it was about $ 500.00 ,.additional costs will be, medical examination , vaccinations and, police report.The change of status application will cost about $ 1000.00, you can get exact amounts at the USA Visa application website. In the application you will have to show evidence of relationship, and means off support . The problem for you will be the means of support, , but it is not a problem you can not overcome!!, they will ask and you can show past Tax returns, while she is waiting for approval you might want to go to The USA and secure employment, or you might want to use a Co- sponsor, perhaps your parents. An Other option would be to marry in Thailand and apply for a wife Visa,

We went the K1 visa route but there are other who argue in favor of the Wife visa route.

We did not use any outside help, we did it on our own, I dont know your level of competency in paper work,but if we can do it on our own,Ii believe most people Could, neither me of my wife are blipping geniuses .

The proses is straight forward, and relatively easy, it will be very frustrating at times but it is nothing that can not be overcome. The biggest problem we had was getting information from the BKK embassy about the status of the Visa, but with perseverance, and the advise of the members of this and other forums we were able to overcome that problem also.

I dont have time to go in detail ,a book can be written about all this subject , so if you have any questions please PM me and I will be happy to tell you what my experience was with that aspect of the proses .

But to make you feel a little better we applied for a K1 visa about 2 years ago, and now my wife has her Green card for about 4 months and we are happily living and working in the USsmile.gif