Going to Chiang Rai for some golf and a visa.

Is it possible to just drive up to the border make your visa run,and get on with your golfing.

All i want is a 1 month visa on arr.

Thanks

Nick

Doesn't take long to get the visa...

Be sure to watch for the Thai Immingration Office on your left as you enter Mae Sai... You need to check in there first before going to the border about a mile further.

You can also take your clubs with you into Burma and play the 9 hole course there... it's not too bad.

I think the Burmese still charge U.S. $5.00 for the one day (8am to 5 pm) visa and now Thais have some minimum amount of baht they want to see to let you back in...

From parking and just doing the quickie turnaround, I think 20 minutes would be average amount of time to get back to your car.

Hit 'em straight.

Mike thanks a bunch.

Just the info i needed.

Might even try out the golfcourse.

Thanks again.

Nick

Be sure to watch for the Thai Immingration Office on your left as you enter Mae Sai... You need to check in there first before going to the border about a mile further.

You can also take your clubs with you into Burma and play the 9 hole course there... it's not too bad

Don't follow all that advice. They switched the immigration 'check-out' to the border some time ago.... Just go directly to the border, don't bother with the other office..

Also, farangs without official visas are limited to the small municipal area of Tachilek, which does not include any golf course that I know of. You might be able to sneak into other areas, but I wouldn't want to get caught... Remember that you won't have your passport with you, either, since it's kept at the border until you leave...

Edited by Ajarn

I stand corrected on the check out point... been a couple of years since I was there, but the golf course isn't far... about the same as the Chedi all the 'taxi' guys want to take you to... and I've played the course three times and no one seemed surprised that I was crossing the border with a golf bag or that I showed up at the golf course.

But I have no idea of where the 'line in the sand' is drawn that you mustn't step over without the official visa...

Well,been there done that.

Absolutely no problems at all.

Paid 250 bht at myanmar checkpoint.

They kept my passport,since i was only there for a short time.

Did a bit of shopping in myanmar.

dvd's are 50-60 bht,cd's even cheaper.

Bought the whole James Bond collection.20 dvd's 1000.- bht.

Lots og music dvd's

so far all in good shape.

Lots of junk though,and beggars too.

Went back to the border and collected my passport,went through thai immigration.

You fill out the usual arrival form.

They didn't even want to see 10.000.- baht,wich was good,cause i spend to much in myanmar.....But the sign is there.

All i all not a single problem,apart from the border area being totally out of a movie.With the bridge and all.

A funny thing.They drive right side in myanmar,so in the middle of the bridge you have to change lanes,so you end up on the right side.

Thanks for all advice.

Nick

I hadn't noticed the lane change - good point. I park my bike under the bridge and walk over. They are also on a different time zone - 30 minutes, I think. I don't go into the market any more, just walk and get my stamp and walk right back.

Too many beggars. Reminds me of Central America.

I always carry 20,000, dress reasonably well, and show respect to the officers. Never been asked to actually show the 20K, just asked politely if I had it.

Next month may be my last 90-day border run to Mae Sai. I'm not going to miss it. But Raynong may not be any fun, either.