Windows 7 Cd

Abrak

Sorry for a couple of very simple questions.

1) I have one legitimate copy of Windows ultimate 7. I wish to install it on my GF's PC. It was installed on my PC based on a clean install by a 'professional'.

2) So my questions are if I try and install Windows 7 on my GF's PC which has Windows Vista, will it accept the same product key.

3) If it doesnt will the CD let me install based on paying for a different product key online with a credit card based in the same country as the computer (namely Thailand)

4) I would imagine that the CD will let me upgrade from Vista (with one option) but will only clean install based on back up and reinstall of previous files programs etc. Is that right? Is upgrade acceptable or should you really clean install.

5) Essentially I am a bit too lazy to get a new CD and then a professional to come and back up and reinstall. I perfectly accept that this also implies that I might be too incompetent to install Windows 7 on someone elses computer.

And to save someone mentioning the bleeding obvious, I do not want to buy a Bt60 CD of a 'cracked' version of Windows 7 for install.

I am no expert but I don't think you can use the product key for your Windows 7 on any other computer. And I agree with you on the 'cracked' windows. Sooner or later MS will kill the OS. If it were me and I wanted to install 7 on another computer with Vista, I'd buy the 7, take it to a service guy and get him to either format and install fresh or install over Vista. I would guess that 7 basically installs itself so you could do it. If it doesn't work then take it to the service guy. I'm sure someone with better advice follow.

Hi

OEM Versions of windows can only be used once, full retail versions can be used more than once but can only be used on one computer, so to use it on a second computer it must be uninstalled on the first computer. you can purchase a key on line,but must be part of a cd/download package and it must be a key for the same version you are installing, ie windows 7 ultimate key for a copy of windows 7 ultimate installed etc. see here -http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/. it would be cheaper to get an upgrade key from vista to windows 7, use the vista computer to check online with microsoft how much to upgrade the current operating system. see here -http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/default.aspx

Edited by steve187

Silly question time?

What does this have to do with Linux? I think it was posted in the wrong thread.

Deep in a subconscious part of his mind, he knows that all these problems can be solved by installing GNU/Linux... in 20 minutes or so.

Edited by siamect

-> Upgrade Vista

I never recommend upgrades, however, I hardly ever tried them and therefore have zero personal experience.

From the little I've read Vista to Win7 is surely less troublesome than XP to Vista used to be.

No matter whether Upgrade or fresh install, check for latest Windows 7 drivers. Not sure why many people are so happy that Windows detects their hardware - using the MS default driver has never been a good idea with any version of Windows.

A data backup is a MUST even with an upgrade (unless you don't really care for the data).

So just try the upgrade, if it doesn't work out do a fresh install...

-> License

If you plan to go with another 'Ultimate' license then you should be able to use the same install DVD - make sure the install is original and not an OEM version. Ultimate is the most expensive Windows 7 edition though.

Purchase the key online, maybe at the Microsoft store - not sure this is necessarily the cheapest option - then do the install, and activate.

You should be able to do the install with the same key and not activate yet (30 days limit). Then purchase a key, switch the product key, activate.

OR - I think I remember somebody writing that if you try to activate with an already activate key there will be an option to purchase online, but my memory might trick me.

Don't take my word on those things, this is not from personal experience.

Edited by welo