Customs Auction Of Confiscated Luxury Bikes

aitch52

Fellow Bikers

Heard on Thailand Asean Network that an auction is being held in mid July (17th -21st I think) of luxury bikes which have been impounded by them after they caught the smugglers. There is an auction of luxury cars being held at the moment. Sorry if the details are sketchy as I was only half listening whilst doing work related beaurocratic nonsense. Harleys were mentioned but no doubt they have other high spec bikes too. Maybe this will give a heads up to anyone interested. Would love something a bit special myself but she who must be obeyed won't let me sell the festering car!

Happy Trails

As far as i understand it. when the vehicle goes through the auction and is sold it deemed that the taxes have been paid. A full invoice is issued and the vehicle is then legally in Thailand. As for green book i have no idea but would presume that the emission check still needs to be done.

ps the bikes are on the 11th (i think) it was in the BKK post.

Most of this motorcycles are sold as parts, basically they are a cheap source for parts...

good way of advertising ur web site :D (QR Code)

Our website is not commercial, Motorcycle Thailand doesn't sell anything... So I probably miss the point how this relates to our website?

Most of this motorcycles are sold as parts, basically they are a cheap source for parts...

Our website is not commercial, Motorcycle Thailand doesn't sell anything... So I probably miss the point how this relates to our website?

Don't be disingenuous- you generate advertising revenue from your site which makes it a commercial site. :rolleyes: If you're not a ThaiVisa sponsor posting a link to your commercial site on ThaiVisa is against the rules.... :whistling:

Don't be disingenuous- you generate advertising revenue from your site which makes it a commercial site. :rolleyes: If you're not a ThaiVisa sponsor posting a link to your commercial site on ThaiVisa is against the rules.... :whistling:

Which link do you refer to?

Which link do you refer to?

Thought someone mentioned that this qr code links to your site? Pretty clever really- I wonder if any ThaiVisa admins even know what it is :lol:

• av-12170.png

Edited by BigBikeBKK

i wonder if those "confiscated now auctioned" bikes are legal now?> And how did they make them legal???

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I need to really question my own post now.....while we know that it would need some kind of magic to make illegal bikes now legal here in LOS and sell them on an auction....but "Customs" are supposed to be under "government rule" which raises the question...how can they sell something that is not 100% legal???

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

i wonder if those "confiscated now auctioned" bikes are legal now?> And how did they make them legal???

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I need to really question my own post now.....while we know that it would need some kind of magic to make illegal bikes now legal here in LOS and sell them on an auction....but "Customs" are supposed to be under "government rule" which raises the question...how can they sell something that is not 100% legal???

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

see post 8

As far as i understand it. when the vehicle goes through the auction and is sold it deemed that the taxes have been paid. A full invoice is issued and the vehicle is then legally in Thailand. As for green book i have no idea but would presume that the emission check still needs to be done.

ps the bikes are on the 11th (i think) it was in the BKK post.

Correct. The cars and bikes are sold as newly registered vehicles, complete with green books, taxed and tested.

It was (and probably still is) a good way for the vehicle smugglers to get their cars registered and fully legal. They smuggled in an expensive new car, removed a few expensive but easy to replace parts (catalytic converter, engine management systems and chips, etc), then the car was found "unattended" by a passing policeman and confiscated; when put up at public auction there was little interest due to the cost of replacing the missing parts so it was sold at way below its value to the original smugglers (the only bidders), complete with all taxes paid, etc. They then re-fitted the parts they had taken off and sold the car for its full value.

Probably not such an easy scam with bikes, as the missing parts would be smaller and easier for anyone to bring in, so there would be more interested buyers.