Traveling With My 4-Year Old

arncap

After a 1-week family vacation on Koh Samui, my 4-year old son and I will be spending 3 weeks alone before returning to Tokyo. Our return flight to Tokyo is from Bangkok.

While we may "play it by ear" and not make too many advance plans / reservations, I would like to start thinking seriously about possible places to go. Any suggestions from the experienced is greatly appreciated. I would consider checking out the southern part of the country before heading central and north since we'll already be down there. I really have a desire to check out some of the Isaan provinces this trip since we'll have the time and I've never been there. Making a trip into Laos would also be of great interest.

Anyway, if anyway can give me some advice about places to go and / or avoid, that would be great. Pattaya sounds neat as I've never been there either. We'll be there from the middle of August until the middle of September so the wet season will be in full swing at that time. However, I really don't want to let it affect / ruin our trip.

Check out the Krabi area for some spectacular limestone karst country, also good beaches. Then Phuket for some good sights, great beaches and good ocean/island boat tours. Pattaya would have little attraction for anybody under the age of consent.

• 3 weeks later...

fly to u tapao airport and try the coast from sattahip through to trat, very good beaches, and ko chang is a lovely place.

Been to Koh Chang about 5 years ago on our first of 5 trips to Thailand. 2 reasons we haven't been back: (1) Except for once, all of our trips have been in the summertime during the rainy season. When we were there for about 5 days, we got about 4 days of heavy rainfall. (2) Getting there is quite a trek from Bangkok. Perhaps it won't be so bad if it's just my boy and me. From where and what way is the best to get there? Where is Trat in relation to the island?

Any other suggestions during the last week of August and the first couple weeks of September?