Paperwork Advice Needed On Buying A Second Hand Bike

I am planning on buying a cheap runaround Yamaha Nouvo MX from a m/c hire shop in Chiang Mai.............i have a copy of my passport and visa stamp........a typed and signed letter from a farang who is renting me a condo for the next month...........a residence certificate that was obtained whilst i was staying in Pattaya..............the thai guy selling me the bike has advised me to go to the British consulate in CM to get a letter from them stating i am living in Cm then he will swop the green book into my name................is what he is suggesting correct and is there anything else i should be aware of before handing over the cash?

its a 3.5 year old bike with 14000 km on the clock for 24k baht.......i have checked it over myself and also had it appraised at another shop so i am taking plunge with it.......LOL

thanks for any advice

I believe farang selling to farang is not permitted. He needs to sell to a Thai who can then sell it to you. Wife, g/f, thai friend, bloke on the street who you paid a few baht for the favour, whatever, whoever, can act as the middleman/woman. Think the law is designed to stop Farangs trading as a living.

Honestly i never heard of this. I sold my Bike which were on my name to another Foreigner just in April ..... No problems, just need to have the paperwork right ,.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I believe farang selling to farang is not permitted. He needs to sell to a Thai who can then sell it to you. Wife, g/f, thai friend, bloke on the street who you paid a few baht for the favour, whatever, whoever, can act as the middleman/woman. Think the law is designed to stop Farangs trading as a living.

No you are wrong. a farang can certainly sell to a farang. as long as they have the correct paperwork.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Priceless.

Just get a certified letter from the British Consulate detailing where you live.

Toss the Pattaya thing in the trash, ditto your rent agreement.

Thai Dr Lisc will be a help.

What kind of visa are you on?

Edited by powderpuff

Just get a certified letter from the British Consulate detailing where you live.

Toss the Pattaya thing in the trash, ditto your rent agreement.

Thai Dr Lisc will be a help.

What kind of visa are you on?

type o multi entry visa

will the consulate provide me a letter confirming where i am staying at present and what will be the cost?

You also need to be careful with the ownership transfer document, make sure that it is filled in by somebody who you trust. Apparently, recently some people where victim of fraud, involving motorcycle ownership... I have no idea how they do it, but I also do not want to find out the hard way...

This is the official motorcycle ownership transfer document, of course it is completely in Thai. But with the preview you can translate it with your g/f or a friend so you know what need to go where on the form.

went there today and the theiving sods wanted 2300 baht for a letter confirming my address.............i decided to chance my arm and went with my g/f to the transport office and fortunately they accepted my chonburi immigration residence document and the letter from the farang landlord in CM as proof of where i reside

thanks to all who posted