More Hot Comming

jaideeguy

According to google weather, yesterday was predicted to be 95 [and it was, acording to my home thermometer in the shade]. Today is to be 98 and tomorrow 102. I hope they are wrong, as I have had enough of this dam_n heat and it should be cooler and with rains.

pardon my Fahrenheit!! 100f=37.5c, right?

Right, even though it feels seriously hot, the actual temperature is in the lower thirties. With the high humidity and ultra clear skies it feels a little like Pattaya or Phuket at the moment.

On days that there's rain it's already a lot more bearable, that takes a lot fo the later afternoon sun blast away.

Its the humidity guys it's not the heat. Humidity is higher because of the rain and clouds. You are in the tropics and this is normal. The higher the humidity the higher the heat factor.

Rain ??? In Hang Dong rain is just a memory. Can't remember the last time it rained for more than 5 minutes.The only humidity here is causesd by people having to water their gardens every day. Its coming,we hope, but records may show this season is way,way, way below average.Local vegy growers tell us its a very difficult time for them hence prices are up and quantity,quality down

Local vegy growers tell us its a very difficult time for them hence prices are up and quantity,quality down

This I don't understand. If the vegy growers manage to deliver good quality they should participate in the high prices. What's difficult time?

i think the more hot coming went out the window tonight......nice bit of damp stuff put an end to that,

whatever happened to the Heat thread, thought that was started to rival the Rain thread?

beautiful day today, clear blue sky, I didnt think it was overly hot

Gotlost, thank you for pointing out that it's the humidity, but most of us in the tropics understand this well, since like, we were kids - it's Hot Weather 101. The same for anybody who's been in a desert understanding dry heat. If you really want to make the point, it's two factors about humidity: 1) Vapor pressure from water in the air is preventing the sweat from your body evaporating as quickly as it would in a dry environment, thereby increasing your 'I'm so hot' sensation. 2) More units of heat can be stored in water than in air, so air with lots of humidity, though not hotter, will have more units of whatever the current temperature is, to bombard your body with. Combined, these two things are why humidity gets you. Good - there's humidity 102 !

But as Jaidee was actually getting at, it's not that there's humidity in the air, it's that it's FRIKKING UNSEASONABLY HOT RIGHT NOW ! It just ain't right. The wetter weather is supposed to bring cooler temperatures with it. But so far, less rain and clouds than normal. Same for longer bouts of higher temperatures sticking around. Really it's just a bitching thread, which most TV'ers are more than happy to join in with normally - yours truly included.

let's not split hairs here. heat, humidity. wha'evah. it's hot. africa hot. tarzan couldn't take this kind of hot.

to top it off, they turned off my electricity yesterday cause i forgot to pay my bill. how in the hel_l did people live here before electricity and running water? i sweat so much it was practically spraying out of my pores.

For those who refuse to go native and eat chilli (opens pores - lets heat out; simply put - makes you sweat), or refuse or cant strut around in boxer shorts or a sarong...

Keeping Cool In High Heat

From Gayle Eversole - The Leaflady Leaflady.org 7-7-10

Using ice cubes to keep cool -

A tried-and-true method is to wet the pulse point near your wrist joint with cold water. This point is usually three finger widths above your wrist. Keep that spot cool by holding against it an ice cube wrapped in a clean cloth to prevent a skin burn. Relief can be immediate, and this method will cool down your entire body -- by as much as three degrees Fahrenheit -- for up to an hour.

HoT Weather Spritzer

When things get hot, refresh by spraying on a lemon and mint spritzer. You can make it just lemon or just mint too. Some like just lavender or lavender-mint. If you do that add 5 drops of the single essential oil Lemon Mint Spritzer 1 cup pure, filtered or mineral water 3 drops lemon essential oil 3 drops mint essential oil 1 tsp witch hazel or if you have dry skin, omit witch hazel and use 1/2 teaspoon vegetable glycerine 1/2 teaspoon almond oil

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a PET or blue glass spray bottle. For an extra refreshing feeling, keep your spritzer refrigerated.

HoT Weather Tip To me, anything over 75 in the Puget Sound region is unbearable, 102 is obscene. I grew up for 34 years in the East where is gets to be 100 with 100% humidity on a regular basis in the summer. This led me to believe that for a decade or more Seattle was not humid, then I moved to East of the mountains. I moved to WA in 1978 when Seattle was still in the domain of what was known as "Lesser Seattle". For those that missed this, you really don't know Seattle. I recall a few of these really hot days in the late 70s and early 80s. Now its just too dark and wet in the winter for me, I need sun and an escape from mold.

But for these "Dog Days" my favorite hot weather, anti-humidity drink and all-around health booster is one I just shared with my friends at Swinomish - Stop off at your local co-op (as I'm not for the corporate mind at Whole Foods that is trying to take over the health food market place with UNFI and corporate takeovers of the product base) and get a bottle of organic raw apple cider vinegar. There are several brands but my all time favorite is Solana Gold; Bragg's is good too.

Make sure you are using fluoride and chlorine free water, and fill a glass with about 8 - 10 ounces of that refreshing wet stuff, and add just one teaspoon of ACV. Stir, sip and enjoy. You'll find out much more about the health benefits of raw apple cider vinegar on my website: <http://www.leaflady.org>www.leaflady.org. Stay cool and enjoy! And by the way, your pets will like you too if you add one teaspoons ACV to one quart of good water. It will keep them cool and it will scare fleas away too (something E. WA doesn't have, yeah!).

Edited by whiterussian