Thai Students Pregnancy Bill Draws Much Controversy

webfact

JUNO BILL

Students pregnancy bill draws much controversy

By Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

Controversial draft law on pregnant students being allowed maternal leave, later study draws concern

BANGKOK: -- A draft law that intends to give pregnant students the legal right to take maternal leave and continue their studies after giving birth, is now attracting much controversy.

While a survey on www.ilaw.or.th showed most respondents supported the draft law, prominent child-rights activist Wallop Tangkananurak said he was concerned the legislation would indirectly endorse school-age pregnancies.

"I agree that schools should not fire students just for being pregnant. However, having a clear law on the issue may indirectly convince youth that it is okay to get pregnant during their school years," Wallop said in www.gotoknow.org.

He said he planned to raise the issue at the National Children Protection Committee meeting soon. He explained that although it was good to give youth more freedom, it could be better to rely on subtle measures.

Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said there was much discussion about Article 12 in the draft, over whether directors of educational institutions with pregnant female students should allow the women to continue studying during their pregnancy and after giving birth.

Jurin said many prominent public health officers worried the law would encourage teen pregnancy. Others said it would open the way for pregnant students to have both maternal leave and continue their studies after giving birth, instead of losing their positions.

Jurin said he was not sure that firing pregnant students was beneficial - their numbers had not decreased during the past few years.

The Department of Health records showed that each year in Thailand, 10,000 students under 15 years of age become pregnant. Of 800,000 women who get pregnant annually, 20 per cent are under 20 years.

Reproductive Health Division chief Dr Kittipong Saejeng, secretary of a subcommittee to develop reproductive health law and regulation, said the subcommittee would organise a meeting to revise this draft. After that the subcommittee would hold public hearings for two months before making submissions to the National Reproductive Health Committee, chaired by the Public Health Minister, and then to Cabinet.

Jurin said the law would protect people's reproductive health rights. It would also cover the medical services of all state and private medical units and oblige them to provide consultation and reproductive health services.

The law will not allow any individual or organisation to block maternal leave, will encourage breastfeeding and safeguard against sexual harassment.

He said it would encourage support for pregnant women, those with unwanted pregnancies and those who were not in a position to take care of their kids.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-13

It can be argued that the current policy of expelling pregnant students is against the law, as Thailand is signatory to the convention on the rights of the child.

I have respect for mister Wallop, but think he is wrong. The best protection for students against early pregnancy is education, which should be mandatory. Now parents complane if their children get educated about birth control and sex.

I am sure in many cases, teenagers do not intend to get pregnant. By denying them education, it is not just punishment for them (which is wrong anyway), but punishment for their children and families. They are already being punished by having to look after children at such a young age. Why punish them further?

I agree that there is a need to deal with the underlying causes of such an astonishing number of pregnancies in young (let's face it) children! We see so many youngsters carrying their small children around with them (and struggling to do so, given that many of them are not that much bigger themselves)! By sending out a signal that students will be allowed to take time out to care for their children, this is also sending out an indirect signal that it is okay for such students to become pregnant anywhere from 15 onwards. It would be far better to provide appropriate education as a sufficiently early stage in an effort to reduce the number of teenage pregnancies.

Edited by GeorgeO

Whether to put the horse in front or behind the carriage.... Unwanted pregnancy is the main problem here. If these young ladies knew more about preventing unwanted pregnancies, you would have less problems. Preventing access to birth control is one cause of unwanted pregnancies. Another is poor education. Since sex education and acess to contraceptive measures are not up to par, the bill will have to do - for now.

Not really a good start for producing QUALITY Children - don't you think? ;)

• Like 1

The situation where by a girl is "expelled" from school for getting pregnant is one of the more unhumane things which happens in Thailand.

I don't think any of a pregnant girl's peers are going to be running around wanting to emulate a class mate on the basis that they are allowed to stay in school. If anything I would imagine it would act as somewhat of a deterrent.

However, education, education, education when it comes to family planning can never be under emphasized.

"...However, having a clear law on the issue may indirectly convince youth that it is okay to get pregnant during their school years"

This is probably one of the dumbest quotes I've ever heard.

And the phrase "having a clear law on the issue" has got to be one of the funniest.

Logically under Thai law if 10,000 pregnancies are under aged 15 year olds then there must be some cause for carnal knowledge etc. I would suspect a percentage would also be rape from incest. If the law is not upheld then the message to these youngsters is clear - go for it with no responsibility. Similarly is 160,000 pregnancies (20% as mentioned of the 800,000 recorded) are under 20 then there is serious cause for concern.

Notwithstanding, the Minister is not right in this instance - education be it sex education or general education is the issue. Many young kids in this society do have the ability to accept motherhood during their education years and the article does not define university (or mention it) and that is as high as you want (under 40's receive tertiary education!).

But to prejudice a woman/girl over pregnancy is mindless and should not even be raised. To police moral issues of teen pregnancies is the issue. Go to the source and educate not to participate in underaged sex.

Logically under Thai law if 10,000 pregnancies are under aged 15 year olds then there must be some cause for carnal knowledge etc. I would suspect a percentage would also be rape from incest. If the law is not upheld then the message to these youngsters is clear - go for it with no responsibility. Similarly is 160,000 pregnancies (20% as mentioned of the 800,000 recorded) are under 20 then there is serious cause for concern.

Notwithstanding, the Minister is not right in this instance - education be it sex education or general education is the issue. Many young kids in this society do have the ability to accept motherhood during their education years and the article does not define university (or mention it) and that is as high as you want (under 40's receive tertiary education!).

But to prejudice a woman/girl over pregnancy is mindless and should not even be raised. To police moral issues of teen pregnancies is the issue. Go to the source and educate not to participate in underaged sex.

The hard and fast rule that sex under the age of 16 being rape means that it uses a sledgehammer to crack a nut and ends up missing the nut altogether.

If underage sex is a crime, it is a crime, however, classifying it as rape when consenting underage kids are involved doesn't reflect the size of the crime, so nothing is ever prosecuted.

As for the old custom of promising to marry the girl if you commit such an act to get everyone to turn a blind eye, is in and of itself completely barbaric.

The worrying question here is whether or not politicians and civil servants are still eligible for further Education funding,

........................or if not eligible, what are the reasons for denying them these channels of development.

Rather than concentrating on ineffective measures to punish the vulnerable and to disenfranchise them,

would it not be more effective to

1. Ensure proper and informed effective and efficient health and sex education for the young, uncorrupted by personal religious belief.

2. Acknowledge that the millions of youth living in present-day cities do not have the supportive networks of communal and village life anymore.

3. Setting up a Child Support Agency with the facilities of pre- and post-birth DNA testing to establish paternity.

4. Informing potential fathers of all ages and all social positions that in fathering a child will mean providing a minimum of financial support every month for that child ( say, 3,000 baht ) until they reach the age of 18 and that this legislation will be enforced by the Courts of Law and monitored independently by a U.N. delegation representing the Rights of the Child.

.........0r if a student gets pregnant whilst attending school or University,

a Government Cultural Agency could shut down the institution for 9 months or until the child is born, ( whichever is the sooner. )

Edited by sparedolphin

Although I am sure it does not apply to all, I can bet a fair percentage of those young pregnant girls will give birth to a child and then hand the baby off to mom and dad to look after. There is a huge amount of girls who do not have any say or responsibility towards their child. Does the policy allot some type of allowance or welfare? If it does it gives a great excuse to conceive hand the child off to mom and dad and then get paid to not go to school. Hopefully this will not be the case.

Whether to put the horse in front or behind the carriage.... Unwanted pregnancy is the main problem here. If these young ladies knew more about preventing unwanted pregnancies, you would have less problems. Preventing access to birth control is one cause of unwanted pregnancies. Another is poor education. Since sex education and acess to contraceptive measures are not up to par, the bill will have to do - for now.

Not really a good start for producing QUALITY Children - don't you think? ;)

Love the post and you are right about Quality children with quality parents....

Education is a key for Sex education....prevention prevention and prevention.... Common Sense is a key to raise a child??? ( birth control pills, RU47 ) Children need to behave and parents need to be parents.

Students go to school to learn not to have fun and get pregnant..no excuse for parenting. The children need to understand about Social and Responsibility..by getting education..earning their honest living...

There is no way for a child to raise a child...we need a good citizen for the Thai....

Who is to blame?? Television, newspaper, parents, schools or society...?? My concern is about children who make mistake...over and over again...history always repeats itself.....

It is about time our Panels start to make the difference...my take and opinion.

The worrying question here is whether or not politicians and civil servants are still eligible for further Education funding,

........................or if not eligible, what are the reasons for denying them these channels of development.

Rather than concentrating on ineffective measures to punish the vulnerable and to disenfranchise them,

would it not be more effective to

1. Ensure proper and informed effective and efficient health and sex education for the young, uncorrupted by personal religious belief.

2. Acknowledge that the millions of youth living in present-day cities do not have the supportive networks of communal and village life anymore.

3. Setting up a Child Support Agency with the facilities of pre- and post-birth DNA testing to establish paternity.

4. Informing potential fathers of all ages and all social positions that in fathering a child will mean providing a minimum of financial support every month for that child ( say, 3,000 baht ) until they reach the age of 18 and that this legislation will be enforced by the Courts of Law and monitored independently by a U.N. delegation representing the Rights of the Child.

.........0r if a student gets pregnant whilst attending school or University,

a Government Cultural Agency could shut down the institution for 9 months or until the child is born, ( whichever is the sooner. )

Love the ideas and you should send your comment to the Thai official. Hope they listen and do the Right thing for Thai children...

This is not only Thai has problem but, it is a global crisis of 21 TH century....

Excellent post and you deserve to be recognized..

<br>Maybe they should require the universities to pass out condoms the first day of class?   That's a bill that might have some positive effect.  whistling.gif<br>
Condoms will not solve problem alone, I guess. Having sex with one partner (and especially when first time) while using a condom doesn't appeal to many Thais at all (non-Thais as well, maybe to the lesser extent due to sex education). And hormonal pills.. hm, there are just emergency ones or those requiring long course. Difficult again for young people.

But, where are the other kinds of contraceptives, such as spermicides? I Was first concerned about that here in 2008 - and was told that they're not licensed for sale in Thailand (!). Isn't it crazy? (Yes, and as I do not go back home often now, sometimes I have to ask my friends coming to Thailand to bring some =)

Edited by tryptamine

In my experience, what happens is the girls just go on holiday for a few months to have the baby, which is then cared for by the mother while the girls resume school. Intelligent principals and teachers just adopt a 'don't tell me officially or I'll have to enforce the rules' attitude.

I can't see what purpose banning them from school achieves.

Education is the answer here, not pretending the problem doesn't exist.

The law requiring banning should be abolished and the authorities should stop interfering in peoples' lives in such an authoritatian way and instead educate them to act like adults.

<BR>The government should provide free pills for the poor.<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>Rucharee are you saying birth control pills if so I agree with you for the first time. How about some sex education classes in school as well. With that high of a pregnancy rate they are not being educated at home.

It can be argued that the current policy of expelling pregnant students is against the law, as Thailand is signatory to the convention on the rights of the child.

I have respect for mister Wallop, but think he is wrong. The best protection for students against early pregnancy is education, which should be mandatory. Now parents complane if their children get educated about birth control and sex.

I agree wholeheartedly (except for the spelling of 'plane')

I have no voice in this country, being a visitor, but I feel detailed laws for or against some non-crime are against the spirit of justice.

Law should be simple and obvious. The country needs educated people - so people must not be denied the necessary education. It is good for the country and good for the people being educated.

Equally, the race will be propagated. There is no denying Nature. Queens of England were married at 14 and had children before 16. We may not think this is wise, but when do we learn wisdom?

The education system, and the laws of the land, must cooperate with Nature. To do otherwise is foolish.

Expulsion for pregnancy is unjust. The girl may have been a willing partner - but will her partner suffer an equal punishment? The girl may have been an unwilling partner - in which case she needs help and sympathy: not expulsion. Even if she was willing, she needs help!

The proposal is wrong.

- Roger -

I think the real problem here is education about sex. Parents always complain about sex education in the school but after living here off and on for 37 years I found most Thai parents rarely discuss sex with their children and rarely get a hug or told how much they love their children. The child is left to learn about sex on their own often being pressured into it by their boyfriends and rarely use protection. Once they get pregnant they are afraid of being scorned by their parents and their school and are drawn to the illegal abortion houses hidden in the back soi's run by a greedy mid wife in unsanitary conditions. Thai parents are so used to looking the other way when it comes to responsibility and put 100% blame on the child when they did nothing to educate their child about sex. Most of the kids end up dropping out of school and end up taking care of the child on their own after the boyfriend doesnt supply any child support. Just look around your local market, kids taking care of kids all over the place. I see it everyday.