Loan Shark

BookSanook

Not sure about slang, but on the news I've heard phrases along the lines of คนปล่อยกู้นอกระบบ or คนให้กู้นอกระบบ, or perhaps replacing คน with ผู้.

กู้นอกระบบ means to borrow money "outside the system" (i.e. illegally).

เจ้าหนี้ is the term i've been told and on inspecting it's meaning i get creditor.

For a slang term for the same meaning i was told, ยิว or what we would call a Jew.

Just to clarify, i asked for the term for someone, not a bank, who lent money and then charged high interest rates.

An idiom for this would be กระดูกขัดมัน

Edited by bhoydy

Not sure about slang, but on the news I've heard phrases along the lines of คนปล่อยกู้นอกระบบ or คนให้กู้นอกระบบ, or perhaps replacing คน with ผู้.

กู้นอกระบบ means to borrow money "outside the system" (i.e. illegally).

I am not sure that กู้นอกระบบ is illegal.

กู้นอกระบบ just means that you borrow money from a private person, not from a bank.

I am not sure that กู้นอกระบบ is illegal.

กู้นอกระบบ just means that you borrow money from a private person, not from a bank.

I think when Thais talk about borrowing money from friends, family etc., they just use the word ยืม--literally, "borrow".

I've only ever heard ปล่อยเงินกู้นอกระบบ used in reference to loan sharks.

My wife (after some time to reflect) now says that "blood face" may be used to describe predatory lenders. Has anyone heard this?

Found this from a search on google.

พจนานุกรม ฉบับราชบัณฑิตยสถาน

หน้าเลือด

หน้าเลือด

ความหมาย

ว. ชอบแสวงหาประโยชน์โดยวิธีบังคับให้จำยอมเพราะเห็นแก่ตัว เช่น เขาเป็นเจ้าหนี้หน้าเลือด, หน้าโลหิต ก็ว่า

Another one I heard from the missus was หลายวัน (lai wun) meaning 'many days'.

Refers to the method of paying the interest every day on the original loan amount.

A while ago I would sit out the front of Nou's father's house reading and every day a car would pull up, toot the horn and wind down the window. Behind the wheel was an Indian (แขก)collecting the daily interest payment from one of the sisters next door.

:D :D

ว. ชอบแสวงหาประโยชน์โดยวิธีบังคับให้จำยอมเพราะเห็นแก่ตัว เช่น เขาเป็นเจ้าหนี้หน้าเลือด, หน้าโลหิต ก็ว่า

Bingo!

What do you get when you combine "creditor/lender" with "greedy bastard" ?

เจ้าหนี้หน้าเลือด

loan shark

Case closed (not really) Thanks!