Burning Dvd

Jonny B

hey guys im having trouble trying to download a movie from my laptop to dvd. im using nero (vision express 3) i believe it is, although i have the other nero ones on my computer but that one seems to pops up so just been trying to use it. Now i get through the whole stage and have done exactly as other people have said on youtube but when i go to play the dvd back after is says finished downloading all it has on it is the picture of the palm tree page (select menu page)and no video. any ideas what im doing wrong, got a feeling i have to click something else?

any help would be great, thanks.

A bit difficult to follow your explaination, but if you can provide some more info then maybe I can help.

1. What is format of video are you trying to copy to a DVD? Is it mp4, .vob?

2. What do you want to play the video on, a DVD player or a laptop?

Basically I'm trying to find out if you are trying to convert the video from whatever format you downloaded it in, to a format that a non-DivX DVD player can play, i.e. making a VOB disk.

Are you sure you don't have to select the title to start the playback - like pushing the 1 button or ENTER. Sorry if this sounds ridiculous, but I've seen a problem like this before. Check the contents of the DVD in the File Explorer, namely the size of the VOB files. Depending on your movie length there should be at least one VOB file of considerable size (several hundred megabytes or more)

You could also try DVD Styler (freeware) or Ulead DVD MovieFactory (free 30 day trial without limitations or watermark).

One more advise: have the DVD Authoring software create an ISO file that you can mount with any virtual CD software - this way you can experiment before wasting a DVD.

Did you try the Nero help page ?

I had the same sort of problem, says download complete, yet there is nothing on the DVD...

The problem appears to be that I am using Nero 8, and have Windows 7.. The only Nero that will work in Win 7 is Nero 9..

thanks guys and yeah you were right, i noticed it last night that it had worked and its on that page as a title and yeah have to click on it to get it playing, i am blonde and its my first time trying.

although i have another problem now, the misses wants subtitle on these dvd's. ive been reading how to download them and incorporate them to the dvd but is there an easier way? do most torrents have hard subbed movies to download? ive been using utorrent to download them, but how the hel_l do you tell if its got subtitles included?

thanks alot for your help

thanks guys and yeah you were right, i noticed it last night that it had worked and its on that page as a title and yeah have to click on it to get it playing, i am blonde and its my first time trying.

although i have another problem now, the misses wants subtitle on these dvd's. ive been reading how to download them and incorporate them to the dvd but is there an easier way? do most torrents have hard subbed movies to download? ive been using utorrent to download them, but how the hel_l do you tell if its got subtitles included?

thanks alot for your help

Subtitles are not usually hardcoded onto videos, the only exceptions are if it's a Chinese release or something similar.

Sub fles are easy to find and you can usually reference them to the group that released the torrent.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=subtitles&meta=&aq=f&oq=

I usually use opensubs or subscene, but if they dont have one that is sync'd to the video I have then I use another site.

Failing that I use a program called "subtitle workshop" to re-sync the subs, .

can anyone tell me why when i watch a burnt dvd on my good dvd player it plays the movie in widescreen with only a small amount of black strip at the top and bottom which i like but sometimes this good player will have problems playing cheap or copied dvds, but when i play it in my cheap dvd player it plays fine but has alot more black strip and the top and bottom. I always thought it was either the movie itself that is widescreen, why would it show different depending on the dvd player. Also why would the audio be better from the cheaper player?

thanks

FWIW, some DVD players (e.g. Philips DVP3360K) have a USB input and do support the playback of AVI and SRT files; I use this model with both a USB stick and AVI/SRT files burned as data onto DVD-Rs, the USB only supports FAT32. Also some newer TVs have USB (e.g. Samsung LA32C530F1R) also support playback of AVI and SRT (and a whole slew of other formats)files; I use this model, it supports NTFS.

This saves having to re-encode true DVDs, which takes ~ 25 minutes on my i7/860 PC.

FWIW, some DVD players (e.g. Philips DVP3360K) have a USB input and do support the playback of AVI and SRT files; I use this model with both a USB stick and AVI/SRT files burned as data onto DVD-Rs, the USB only supports FAT32. Also some newer TVs have USB (e.g. Samsung LA32C530F1R) also support playback of AVI and SRT (and a whole slew of other formats)files; I use this model, it supports NTFS.

This saves having to re-encode true DVDs, which takes ~ 25 minutes on my i7/860 PC.

so are you saying playing the movie USB makes it easier to view on the better dvd players?