Bkk Bank Debit Cards

Luang

Just had a disasterous week or two with 2 debit cards for 2 accounts, both with BB.(not bothered with credit cards yet due to their restrictive terms).

The problem is booking / using the cards online and overseas (Malaysia most recently). Example 1: Can book accom. online with Agoda / Air Asia but card declined when trying to book travel insurance..(Maybe due to some companies only accepting credit card online but doesn't explain Example 2).

Example 2: All resorts in Malaysia declined my card even though they accepted Visa and when we tried my partners Krung Thai debit card it was fine!).

Example 3: Booked online with Air Asia ok as i registered my card with them, but when charged baggage in Penang, again the card was declined.l

Example 4: Could not even transfer money to another Thai Bank yesterday but today ok (maybe individual ATM machines?).

Anyway, just wondered if any members have had similar probs as this has caused much red facedness and hassle and generally is boiling my urine with frustration! ^_^

Been onto the bank offcourse and as far as they are concerned everything is fine and normal with the cards and my account...GGGrrrrrrr!!

Please mods, leave this here for a while, thanks.

• Like 1

I've never tried to use my Bangkok Bank or Siam Commercial Bank ATM cards for anything other than an ATM. They say for "electronic use only" on them. I'm not sure what that implies. Sounds like if you just went to an ATM and paid cash for the hotel and baggage charges you wouldn't have had a problem. Does the Krung Thai card say;" for electronic use only on it?" I use a credit card for booking flights online, never tried using an ATM card for that either. My Bank of America ATM card does say debit card on it, my Thai ATM cards don't. Bangkok Bank has the Visa logo on it, but I think that means you can use it at an ATM that accepts Visa ATM cards. Siam Commercial Bank says Mastercard on it, but as I said it says for "electronic use only" and also doesn't say debit card... Good luck! It seems like in this part of the world cash is still preferred. Many times I've wanted to use my credit card and the hotel or merchant wants to change me 3% extra as that's what Visa charges the merchant to accept the card. I have an old credit card account and Visa only charges me 1% for the exchange rate (grandfathered ) rather than my newer accounts that charge 3% exchange rate for foreign currency.

Booking rates are much cheaper using a hotel booking site. As much as 50% off the rack rate can normally be obtained when using a credit card. Cash is not king for hotels in Thailand.

Sorry, but did you read the OP. He doesn't have a credit card.... And he wasn't in Thailand...

I've never tried to use my Bangkok Bank or Siam Commercial Bank ATM cards for anything other than an ATM. They say for "electronic use only" on them. I'm not sure what that implies. Sounds like if you just went to an ATM and paid cash for the hotel and baggage charges you wouldn't have had a problem. Does the Krung Thai card say;" for electronic use only on it?" I use a credit card for booking flights online, never tried using an ATM card for that either. My Bank of America ATM card does say debit card on it, my Thai ATM cards don't. Bangkok Bank has the Visa logo on it, but I think that means you can use it at an ATM that accepts Visa ATM cards. Siam Commercial Bank says Mastercard on it, but as I said it says for "electronic use only" and also doesn't say debit card... Good luck! It seems like in this part of the world cash is still preferred. Many times I've wanted to use my credit card and the hotel or merchant wants to change me 3% extra as that's what Visa charges the merchant to accept the card. I have an old credit card account and Visa only charges me 1% for the exchange rate (grandfathered ) rather than my newer accounts that charge 3% exchange rate for foreign currency.

It's not what it says on the card, but rather how they program it and enter it into the computer. When I received my BBK card at the bank, they asked if I wanted it just for ATM or for "shopping (debit card)". At the time I said only ATM. They entered it into the computer and programed the card. They said if I ever wish to change, just come back to the bank and they will change it.

I have had the exact same experience with my cards, I travel monthly between BKK and LHR or BKK and NYC and the debit/ATM cards that say "electronic only" on them were not accepted anywhere, a regular visa was fine. I have Standard Chartered bank as BBK and both were the same. When I went to use them at ATM they were accepted no problem, just did not work for any purchases. However, in Bangkok they work anywhere, other than True store or payment center as they do not have an ATM debit card agreement and they refuse to treat the card as a visa, they see the Electronic Only and say "debit card" and don't use it. I was thrown out of one store for arguing so much with the cleck, because it will work as a visa if they try, they just don't do it on principle.

I have noticed that the expiration date on both of these cards are the year 2029, and that may have something to do with it as most CC's are only a few years in the future but not sure. Also I cannot buy anything online with the cards even though they say visa, I get an invalid expiration date or no option to put in my date because the site only goes up to 2015 for example. I broke down and got a VISA plat card from Standard Chartered because it was so hard to work internationally with it. And when I ask the staff at either back they smile and then laugh thinking it is funny that we have this problem. One Suggestion - AMEX never leave home without it.

Cheers

C

Booking rates are much cheaper using a hotel booking site. As much as 50% off the rack rate can normally be obtained when using a credit card. Cash is not king for hotels in Thailand.

Times are changing, better rates are avail direct from a lot of hotels nowadays. One can only assume there sick of the hotel booking sites taking a chunk of their profits.