Nsr-150 Getting Awful Gas Mileage

56sav

I recently bought my first motorcyle, a '97 NSR-150. So far I'm very happy with the bike except for one thing...the gas mileage is terrible!

The tank is about 10.5 Litres, which only gets me around 75KM. My driving is normally city driving so there is a fair amount of stop and go, but I keep the tach between 4-6K RPM and never race it.

Is the mileage supposed to be this poor??

I have noticed that fuel vapors are escaping from the cap on top of the gas tank - there is a noticable petrol smell when you get on. The bike has previously been in a minor accident which caused part of the gas tank to be dented in about 3/4". Could this be a cause?

I also noticed a small leak today from the nozzle where you swtich from regular to reserve tanks on the side of the bike (I ran out of gas on the way to the station), but it seemed to go away once I filled up and twisted the nozzle back into "normal" position.

However, there are stains on the frame of the bike below the nozzle that were there when I got it that look like gas/oil marks.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but if anyone could advise it would be much appreciated!!

Edited by 56sav
  • Like 1

Well it seems like the only way to rule out the tank (cap, dent, or near on/off switch) it to fix it, wash it, and make sure that there are no signs of leaking.

My 150 Victor had a slight leak on the cap. It would often be moist, but I never noticed bad gas mileage. 10 liters (like 300 baht) does seem a bit much for 75 kms but not too much.

I used to drive my 150 Victor to university and back (probably about that but not sure) on about 200 baht and I did like to race it a bit.

The vapors escaping from the cap shouldn't be enough to notice, but as for the "wetness" by the on/off switch for the fuel could make a difference. For the dent in the tank jst wash it and after driving it inspect for any moistness on the tank.

Especially watch the on/off switch for how wet it is. It it leaking onto other parts below it?

Get this basic stuff diagnosed before going further. It could be other problems that are more complex if it isn't the tank, but still easily fixed because it's a 2-stroke.

Hope some other have some insight.

-Lenny

do i read this correctly you are getting 75 km out of 10,5 ltr fuel ( ie 7+km /ltr)???Or is this a typo?

Tiger/Sachs Club-Mbox

( ie 7+km /ltr)?

Your NSR-150 must have 4 wheels.

That better be a huge 4 wheeler....Avis Car away mentions the fuel usage of this Motorhome ( http://www.aviscaraway.com/en/categorie-E3.php) between 11-14 ltr/100km ( and 14ltr/100km is 56sav's consumption on his 150 NSR) ....wow this is one thirsty bike,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

do i read this correctly you are getting 75 km out of 10,5 ltr fuel ( ie 7+km /ltr)???Or is this a typo?

Tiger/Sachs Club-Mbox

No sadly that is not a typo...however its more like 75KM per 8.5 litres of fuel because of the reserve tank (2L I think) that's switch activated.

What's typical mileage for this kind of bike??

Well it seems like the only way to rule out the tank (cap, dent, or near on/off switch) it to fix it, wash it, and make sure that there are no signs of leaking.

My 150 Victor had a slight leak on the cap. It would often be moist, but I never noticed bad gas mileage. 10 liters (like 300 baht) does seem a bit much for 75 kms but not too much.

I used to drive my 150 Victor to university and back (probably about that but not sure) on about 200 baht and I did like to race it a bit.

The vapors escaping from the cap shouldn't be enough to notice, but as for the "wetness" by the on/off switch for the fuel could make a difference. For the dent in the tank jst wash it and after driving it inspect for any moistness on the tank.

Especially watch the on/off switch for how wet it is. It it leaking onto other parts below it?

Get this basic stuff diagnosed before going further. It could be other problems that are more complex if it isn't the tank, but still easily fixed because it's a 2-stroke.

Hope some other have some insight.

-Lenny

Thanks for your reply. The on/off switch has definitely leaked before at some point, because there are stains on the frame below it.

Whenever I tell someone that knows something about bikes which bike I have, they bring up the poor fuel economy..I just didn't think it was going to be this bad.

Luckily the drivetrain has a year warranty from the shop I bought it from, so I think I'll take your advice and let them take a look at it. The constant rain makes it a little tough gauge whether it's leaking on the ground below or not.

Cheers

Tiger/Sachs Club-Mbox

No sadly that is not a typo...however its more like 75KM per 8.5 litres of fuel because of the reserve tank (2L I think) that's switch activated.

Hi , i am no 2-stroke expert nor did i own an NSR150 ...but i would say 20km/ltr (if you drive normally, not racing it) should be normal...i also read the KRR 150 get 20-24km/ltr. With your bike you are currently getting 75km for 8.5 ltr so about 8.8km/ltr !

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Tiger/Sachs Club-Mbox

I agree with you, Mbox. Many years ago I test drove a Yamaha 350 two stroke but wound up buying a Honda CB 350. Loved the small size, great agility and acceleration of that little 350 (I think it was an RD model) but what put me off more than anything else was the poor economy it was reported to have due to its being a two stroke versus the Honda's much better fuel economy from its four stroke engine.

Hi , i am no 2-stroke expert nor did i own an NSR150 ...but i would say 20km/ltr (if you drive normally, not racing it) should be normal...i also read the KRR 150 get 20-24km/ltr. With your bike you are currently getting 75km for 8.5 ltr so about 8.8km/ltr !

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Tiger/Sachs Club-Mbox

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

8.8 is indeed awful, but just for reference real world gas mileage on the D-Tracker is 30km/l restricted, and 25km/l unrestricted. Thats a brand new engine with FI. Two strokes are much worse about gas mileage, and an old bike even more so. The ER-6n gets 16 km/l...

As for the advertised fuel economy - I don't think there are standards for that in Thailand, so they take the very best fuel economy possible, e.g. going on a flat road at 50 kph constant speed. Meaning: Don't read too much in a motorhome getting 11 km/l - most definitely not in city stop-and-go traffic.

Tiger/Sachs Club-Mbox

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Used to have an NSR150 when I first arrived from the Uk and was still thinking in mpg's! I worked mine out at 55mpg on a fairly regular basis which is a bit over 19KM per litre.

Tiger/Sachs Club-Mbox

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Used to have an NSR150 when I first arrived from the Uk and was still thinking in mpg's! I worked mine out at 55mpg on a fairly regular basis which is a bit over 19KM per litre.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for...I thought about 50mpg should be right.

I tightened the piece that was leaking, filled up, and have gone about 40km without the needle budging so far...keeping my fingers crossed that's the only problem!

Took my bike to the mechanic tonight...it was leaking gas through two of the instake hoses and the 'regular/reserve' switch...fixed it in about 20 minutes...so far I've drive about 50km and the gas needle has barely moved from full...

Thx to all who replied : )