Bike Inspections/Emissions

ClareQuilty

I've been reading on here about new emissions standards and other inspection requirements. Do these apply to older bikes or are they 'grandfathered in' like older cars in the States? I bought two old Honda Tenas for around 5,000 baht each from the local dealer at different times during 2009, and in neither case was there any inspection that I know of (unless he just faked it), because as soon as I bought the bike I just took off on it, leaving him a copy of my passport, and within two weeks, I had a green book in my name.

So far as I now understand it, if your motorcycle has a greenbook, meaning that its registered, you are in the clear. But if you would today go with a unregistered two-stroke motorcycle to the Department of Land Transport to apply for registration you'll not have much success.

As far as I know Thailand has no exceptions for classic cars if it comes to pollution testing.

As part of the annual registration of a motorcycle, any motorcycle over 5 years old is required to be inspected. A part of that inspection is an emission/exhaust check. There may be a different standard for older motorcycles, but the emissions are checked. I have an "88 Shadow 750 and when I had it registered/inspected last month, the guy at the inspectioin station stuck a tube up the exhaust and measued the emissions for about 3 minutes. It passed, no problem. He checked little else, not even the horn or brake lights, which surprise me.

As part of the annual registration of a motorcycle, any motorcycle over 5 years old is required to be inspected. A part of that inspection is an emission/exhaust check. There may be a different standard for older motorcycles, but the emissions are checked. I have an "88 Shadow 750 and when I had it registered/inspected last month, the guy at the inspectioin station stuck a tube up the exhaust and measued the emissions for about 3 minutes. It passed, no problem. He checked little else, not even the horn or brake lights, which surprise me.

when emission is checked, its according to the requirements of 1st time registered.

when emission is checked, its according to the requirements of 1st time registered.

Ah, well if that is the case, it is a relief, because of course older bikes cannot pass the modern absurdly stringent requirements.

I have been told by the local English speaking bike dealer that it is the norm here in Isaan for such unreasonable requirements to still be amenable to the happy solution of corruption, but that it depends on the office. He advised that any foreigner facing such difficulties engage the services of a facilitator (he has some on staff), who for a small fee will deal with the office, and pay any small bribe which is necessary.

Ah, well if that is the case, it is a relief, because of course older bikes cannot pass the modern absurdly stringent requirements.

I have been told by the local English speaking bike dealer that it is the norm here in Isaan for such unreasonable requirements to still be amenable to the happy solution of corruption, but that it depends on the office. He advised that any foreigner facing such difficulties engage the services of a facilitator (he has some on staff), who for a small fee will deal with the office, and pay any small bribe which is necessary.

And you believed him??

I have been told by the local English speaking bike dealer that it is the norm here in Isaan for such unreasonable requirements to still be amenable to the happy solution of corruption, but that it depends on the office.

And you believed him??

I have no reason not to. I've bought two bikes from him for next to nothing, and both have been nearly perfect, plus he got the green books in my name without charging me anything or requiring anything more than a copy of my passport. He's a large Honda dealer who gets dozens of bikes registered every month, so he knows what he's talking about. If you're suggesting 'Thai's aren't to be trusted' or something like that, well, that's nonsense - I usually get charged lower prices than my Thai friends here in Isaan, and people often give me all sorts of goods and services for free..

Edited by ClareQuilty

I have three old 2stroke bikes. They are becoming less popular because they drink fuel, are very sensitive to the fuel they use, generally needing 91 benzine, which is hard to buy now, considered environmentally unfriendly because of the 2stroke smoke and noisy. They tend to need more maintenance than a four stroke bike, and thats certainly the case with old bikes. That is why they are cheap. I quite like them myself but will probably need to give in to progress and buy an injected bike which is way more fuel efficient. Tena/Smile are nice small bikes easy to maintain though. Easy to get parts for. 5000 baht you can't complain, and if you up sticks or loose them for whatever reason, its not much to loose.

Edited by MaiChai

I have three old 2stroke bikes. They are becoming less popular because they drink fuel, are very sensitive to the fuel they use, generally needing 91 benzine, which is hard to buy now, considered environmentally unfriendly because of the 2stroke smoke and noisy. They tend to need more maintenance than a four stroke bike, and thats certainly the case with old bikes. That is why they are cheap. I quite like them myself but will probably need to give in to progress and buy an injected bike which is way more fuel efficient. Tena/Smile are nice small bikes easy to maintain though. Easy to get parts for. 5000 baht you can't complain, and if you up sticks or loose them for whatever reason, its not much to loose.

Its really not the money - I just hate the new bikes. They're all weak as can be and seem to be designed for girls. I believe I'm one of those people who are 'crippled by nostalgia' - I live in a state of revulsion of innovation. I honestly find that every little thing is getting worse, not better, and terribly resent when I'm required to get something new. I'd be willing to spend more money on an old Tena than to buy a new bike. Crazy? Maybe.

By the way what kind of old two strokes do you have, Maichai? At present I have one clutcheless Tena in decent conditon, the Smile, and one Yamaha Tiara with clutch (my favorite bike but alas very worn). I'm still hoping to find a Tena with clutch in great shape or a better Tiara with a correct ownership book, and would be willing to pay quite a bit for one.