Video Coverage

bkksw

After nearly 12 years of driving in Thailand and hearing to all sorts of things happening to others.. in addition to 1st class insurance.. I've always thought it would be nice to mount small cameras for 360 coverage feeding into a hidden DVR with at least a 15 minute loop.. Something to install and forget about.. until it's needed. Mounting a third camera over my shoulder documenting traffic stops would be bonus entertainment..

Has anyone ever done this? And if so, what equipment did you use and where did you get it?

Funny idea, but yeah why not. We use it in the race cars for analysis. Upto four cams, recording on sd card, when full overwriting older files. Gives you also GPS position, speed, lateral and Longitudinal G's, drift angle etc.....

Most will use 2 cam equipment since it gets cost prohibitive, around 60k baht including data analyses software

http://www.videovbox.co.uk/

Hak

Why, I have driven over 300,000 km in Thailand and never felt the need for it

I hope you never 'have' the need for it. I don't have the confidence the legal or justice system in Thailand treats farangs fairly, or for that matter even it's own citizens of different class/rank. Corruption at every level of society is undeniable.

If, god forbid, I ever seriously injure or kill someone.. then I'd like the option of being able to prove my side of the story separate from my status as a farang.

If I can do that for say 20,000 baht then it's worth it to me. If 50,000 then I'll probably wait for the prices to fall and the equipment to mature I also don't want to add much maintenance.. so something like the guy above posted while overkill for my needs, does show such technology is available.

And I'd like it to be hidden.. so I control the options of if and when I use it. I wouldn't want the memory card to disappear.

And of course, there is the moral question of if the recording works against me..

Knock on wood.. or perhaps I should have.. but I had a small incident yesterday. 100% my fault. Perhaps 2000 baht of damage on each vehicle. Because both of us had insurance and I readily admitted fault, everyone was friendly and all went well. The main thing I always take issue with is the Thai way of keeping the cars in traffic until the insurance people come. Even with a rear end 100% fault incident they refuse to move the cars. However, what if it had been an underage kid on a motorsai with no insurance, totally his/her fault, and he/she was seriously injured?

I like the idea. Not only for the reason of recording incidents that we may be unfortunate to be involved in but recording other drivers acts for entertainment (and a bit of education) Imagine posting the stuff on You Tube, you know it could shame people (or a nation) into changing their road manors.

There have been cases however of drivers being prosecuted because of recordings posted on the web, not sure how the law treats such things here.

A traffic cop mate in the UK went round a corner to find a motorcyclist rolling around on the deck. The rider had promised his wife he would sell the bike after recording his last run. The cop found the tape and the rider got 2 years for speeding and reckless driving, the video showed him doin 160 MPH.

Funny idea, but yeah why not. We use it in the race cars for analysis. Upto four cams, recording on sd card, when full overwriting older files. Gives you also GPS position, speed, lateral and Longitudinal G's, drift angle etc.....

Most will use 2 cam equipment since it gets cost prohibitive, around 60k baht including data analyses software

Hak

I have a GPS data logger which is good if you can be bothered to download and study the data, this however is great. Which one do you have the Lite or Pro? (one can never have too many toys)

I hope you never 'have' the need for it. I don't have the confidence the legal or justice system in Thailand treats farangs fairly, or for that matter even it's own citizens of different class/rank. Corruption at every level of society is undeniable.

You're probably right, but no video is going to change that. It may only cause anger and make the situation worse. The best protection you can have is the best insurance you can get through one of the major companies. That way it's a Thai vs Thai matter since the insurance company is responsible for paying. Cheap insurance though some small fly by night company is no bargain here. I have Thanachart Insurance though the Bank, which also financed my car and they are very good. Had someone there within 15 minutes when I had an accident. It's much more difficult for them to screw with you too badly when a representative from a well connected insurance company is there on your behalf.

You're probably right, but no video is going to change that. It may only cause anger and make the situation worse. The best protection you can have is the best insurance you can get through one of the major companies. That way it's a Thai vs Thai matter since the insurance company is responsible for paying. Cheap insurance though some small fly by night company is no bargain here. I have Thanachart Insurance though the Bank, which also financed my car and they are very good. Had someone there within 15 minutes when I had an accident. It's much more difficult for them to screw with you too badly when a representative from a well connected insurance company is there on your behalf.

Video is the only thing which could change it. If you have video that proves your innocence them getting angry really isn't an issue..

Good insurance is a no-brainer, but it doesn't cover the charges a party can file against you criminally.. and this is often done to extort money. Actually, the rule is its done to extort money. Insurance covers civil liability.. nothing covers criminal charges. Criminal charges can be used to extort from small to very large sums. The criminal case often becomes a 'they said, we said' deal.. this is where the video becomes invaluable. Produced at the right time it would just put a stop to things.. especially when coupled with a suggestion that they're damaging your reputation by making these charges (a fairly easy charge to prove in Thailand, especially with video proof).

It never ceases to amaze me how many farangs are driving around in Thailand with no idea of what can really happen to them..

If, god forbid, I ever seriously injure or kill someone.. then I'd like the option of being able to prove my side of the story separate from my status as a farang.

If God forbid you ever got accused of injuring or killing someone you had nothing to do with, it would be an even more valuable tool and also an even more likely scenario..

If God forbid you ever got accused of injuring or killing someone you had nothing to do with, it would be an even more valuable tool and also an even more likely scenario..

True..

This reminds me. About five years ago, maybe six, I'd just picked up my new Fortuner and was driving down Wireless Road. I was reviewing a new point and shoot camera at the time which could capture movies, so I had the camera (very small) in my hand on top of my steering wheel with the movie mode on. About 15 seconds later a big tour bus, the big double decker ones, came into my lane and I moved as far over as I could, but it kept coming. Finally it pushed me into cars waiting to turn in the lane over.. kept it up a few seconds longer, and then I could clearly see the guy (I think the drivers assistant) look back at me and then they took off. I had to stop because of the other guys he'd pushed me into. I sat there staring at my new Fortuner with both sides messed up feeling pretty chuffed I had top insurance. I'd forgotten I'd taken the movie.

I told the insurance company what happened and they immediately told me "everyone tells us the big bus did it, do you have the buses number or proof?" They really weren't going to pay on the claim because they didn't believe me.. and they figured I just blamed a bus on me hitting the other people. We're only talking about a 2000-4000 baht part of the claim they didn't want to pay since my insurance covered me no matter what.. but it was irritating to be called a liar.

This is when I remembered I had the video. My wife invited the investigator over and I brought it up on the 50" HDTV and he was shocked I had the video. Then when the bus drivers assistants face popped up nice and clear he started apologizing heavily. The claim didn't cost me a single baht.

Two years went by without even a ding.. when one weekend while working in Pattaya I was hit three times in two days. All three times by a drunk motorsai driver with an ice cream cart attached. Figure the odds. One day the drivers side, the next day the passenger side, and finally one rear ended me. Each they took off. Same guy? I dunno. But when I called up the same insurance guy (I'd kept his card) and asked told him I'd been hit three times in two days by what I think was the same drunk on a binge.. he didn't sounds like he believed me until I said "do you want to see the video.." I didn't have a video, but that was all it took to make him apologize and fix my car.

These are small things.. but with Thai business practices, corruption, the way farangs are often accused or held liable.. it seems like a video coverage would make a great accessory. And so far I've never hurt anyone by driving.. and all incidents I've had in Thailand I've either been stopped in traffic or at a light and someone hit me.. or going only 10-15kmph in traffic and they hit me. Yet, I can't count the number of near misses in the early morning, rain, evening, etc.. of a pedestrian wearing dark clothes, kids on motorsais, drunks on motorsais, and so on.. I've been very fortunate. Most Thai's weren't raised in a family with a car, so they have little experience from an "inside the car" perspective.. so when they walk out in the street.. they think the driver of a car can see them just as good as they can see you. They have no idea you can barely see them at all in some circumstances.

The potential for a serious injury accident is very high in Thailand.. imo.. and I'd guess if you have one.. the injured party will be poor and uninsured and you'll be the rich farang who caused it. Sure, the insurance covers any civil liability.. very small amounts in Thailand.. but each party has the option of filing criminal charges if they feel they've been wrongs and Thai's often use these criminal charges as a method of extracting more civil payments. And the amounts will be whatever they think you can afford and what you end up negotiating. A million baht? Two million? How much do most Thai's think a rich farang who can afford a car can pay?

True..

This reminds me. About five years ago, maybe six, I'd just picked up my new Fortuner and was driving down Wireless Road. I was reviewing a new point and shoot camera at the time which could capture movies, so I had the camera (very small) in my hand on top of my steering wheel with the movie mode on. About 15 seconds later a big tour bus, the big double decker ones, came into my lane and I moved as far over as I could, but it kept coming. Finally it pushed me into cars waiting to turn in the lane over.. kept it up a few seconds longer, and then I could clearly see the guy (I think the drivers assistant) look back at me and then they took off. I had to stop because of the other guys he'd pushed me into. I sat there staring at my new Fortuner with both sides messed up feeling pretty chuffed I had top insurance. I'd forgotten I'd taken the movie.

I told the insurance company what happened and they immediately told me "everyone tells us the big bus did it, do you have the buses number or proof?" They really weren't going to pay on the claim because they didn't believe me.. and they figured I just blamed a bus on me hitting the other people. We're only talking about a 2000-4000 baht part of the claim they didn't want to pay since my insurance covered me no matter what.. but it was irritating to be called a liar.

This is when I remembered I had the video. My wife invited the investigator over and I brought it up on the 50" HDTV and he was shocked I had the video. Then when the bus drivers assistants face popped up nice and clear he started apologizing heavily. The claim didn't cost me a single baht.

Two years went by without even a ding.. when one weekend while working in Pattaya I was hit three times in two days. All three times by a drunk motorsai driver with an ice cream cart attached. Figure the odds. One day the drivers side, the next day the passenger side, and finally one rear ended me. Each they took off. Same guy? I dunno. But when I called up the same insurance guy (I'd kept his card) and asked told him I'd been hit three times in two days by what I think was the same drunk on a binge.. he didn't sounds like he believed me until I said "do you want to see the video.." I didn't have a video, but that was all it took to make him apologize and fix my car.

These are small things.. but with Thai business practices, corruption, the way farangs are often accused or held liable.. it seems like a video coverage would make a great accessory. And so far I've never hurt anyone by driving.. and all incidents I've had in Thailand I've either been stopped in traffic or at a light and someone hit me.. or going only 10-15kmph in traffic and they hit me. Yet, I can't count the number of near misses in the early morning, rain, evening, etc.. of a pedestrian wearing dark clothes, kids on motorsais, drunks on motorsais, and so on.. I've been very fortunate. Most Thai's weren't raised in a family with a car, so they have little experience from an "inside the car" perspective.. so when they walk out in the street.. they think the driver of a car can see them just as good as they can see you. They have no idea you can barely see them at all in some circumstances.

The potential for a serious injury accident is very high in Thailand.. imo.. and I'd guess if you have one.. the injured party will be poor and uninsured and you'll be the rich farang who caused it. Sure, the insurance covers any civil liability.. very small amounts in Thailand.. but each party has the option of filing criminal charges if they feel they've been wrongs and Thai's often use these criminal charges as a method of extracting more civil payments. And the amounts will be whatever they think you can afford and what you end up negotiating. A million baht? Two million? How much do most Thai's think a rich farang who can afford a car can pay?

That is a good story, I like it. I have a generic GPS holder/mount that I have attached to my motorcycle and I have been trying to figure out how to mount my point and shoot camera there. It works great in the car, but a little tricky on the angles on the bike. It takes HD video. I wanted it more to show how crazy driving a motorcycle and car through BKK and Thailand can be, but also thought of the possibility of capturing video and vindicating me (hopefully) in case of an accident. Also, I thought of a discreet helmet mount to document any traffic stops. What would the BIB do if they were shown a video of a cop asking for a bribe? Everyone does it, but do they really want to have a video showing it? Probably more trouble than the entertainment would be worth. Better leave that one alone.

Anyway, my point, I am interested in this concept and will follow it.

Hak

I have a GPS data logger which is good if you can be bothered to download and study the data, this however is great. Which one do you have the Lite or Pro? (one can never have too many toys)

I use the "lite" with 2 cams. Good data also and can compare runs including video so you not only see where you lost speed but also why.......

H