Has Anyone Experience With Phasorn Thai Language School?

silvester2

Nope, sorry man; no experience with this school.

Thought I mighta scoped them out already. However in looking at their (totally lame :whistling: ) website, and their downloadable (less than informative :unsure: ) PDF file, you piqued my interest.

I called them and at least the person I spoke to had good engrish skills. She answered my questions without hesitation and with no hard-sell tactic other than to come and see how they teach thai. I'm scheduled to go on a 're-con mission' tomorrow.

I'll look at their material, take a free class, and basically get as much info as I can to report back some facts as far as how this school rates with other private thai language schools I've visited before.

This much I was able to glean from the conversation;

*They offer three levels of thai (Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced).

*The text books have phonetic, real thai, and english in them.

*It is a 'step method', (meaning the lessons build new vocab by using vocab learned in previous lessons).

They have no group classes running right now but they're due to start next week. I also ran into a road-block (really a language barrier) when I asked her if I could talk to current or former students. (BTW: I don't speak ANY thai when I first re-con these schools), as I want to see how they handle foreigners who are just beginners learning the thai language.

FWIW: their pricing is in line with other private thai language schools offering the 6 month and year long study programs to qualify for an ED visa :) .

Even their hourly rate isn't too bad, (although it doesn't say if you hafta purchase blocks of hours to get the rate they quote or not).

Like I said, I'll post on this thread tomorrow and give you my perceived 'bang-4-the-baht' regarding the school. :D

One last thing; There are certainly NO shortage of private thai language schools in that general area.

Edited by tod-daniels

Your review brightened my day. I didn't know that there were others around that are also sensitive about having their Thai corrected, something that pi&ses me off no end in most cases. :annoyed: Especially, when the person correcting you can barely speak any English whatsoever.

One day I may be interested in learning to write the language, as I can only speak and read it at the moment, but am in no hurry. I wonder if there is anywhere/anyone that focuses purely on teaching writing or would I have to go back to square one.

" sensitive about having their Thai corrected"

Maybe my brain is working on a misdirected circuit, but I prefer a Thai who corrects my incorrect Thai, just as I hope a Thai who speaks relatively good English appreciates my correcting their English. I prefer that to everyone telling me "พูดภาษาไทยเก่งนัก" Although I do agree there's a fine art in keeping a conversation going and trying to correct someone's Thai/English.

• Like 1

" sensitive about having their Thai corrected"

Maybe my brain is working on a misdirected circuit, but I prefer a Thai who corrects my incorrect Thai, just as I hope a Thai who speaks relatively good English appreciates my correcting their English. I prefer that to everyone telling me "พูดภาษาไทยเก่งนัก" Although I do agree there's a fine art in keeping a conversation going and trying to correct someone's Thai/English.

That is it though, isn't it? When having a conversation with someone, do you stop them to correct them every time they make a mistake. It does not matter what language you are talking in, I believe that if you can understand what they are saying you should allow them to continue without interupting the flow. At work, many of my Thai colleagues have studied overseas and their English is very good, but not fluent. Nevertheless, I do not stop and correct them every time they make a mistake, regardless of whether they are junior or senior. The height of bad manners. Do you correct a French person's English accent when speaking to them in English? Hel_l no. So why is it any different for Thai language. Again, this is provided that what is being said is understandable. If not, then a request to repeat what they said would normally be sufficient.

Many native English speakers do not use correct grammar, screw up pronunciation, etc. Do you correct them too? If you do, you are looking to get clobbered.

It is totally different to a situation where you request others to correct your mistakes or in a class studying the language where correction is not only expected but warranted if you are to learn.

Whinge Over :)

Corrected spelling and grammar :D

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

Sorry this is Off Topic but;

Obviously in a thai language class where your objective is to learn thai I concur, correcting bad pronunciation, and bad sentence constructs should be the norm not the exception. In fact in learning the correct way to pronounce a thai word (given SO many similarly pronounced thai words to foreign ears) this should be pounded into your heads from day one.

Perhaps I need to expound on what I meant by "being sensitive to thais correcting my spoken thai" :whistling: ;

This country has about 64 million thais, but given the number of times I've been corrected for what I deem a slight mispronunciation of a thai word or a 'sketchy' sentence order, I'm almost lead to believe there're 64 MILLION frickin' thai language professors here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" :o . Native speaker or not, I don't take kindly to being corrected by every "Tom, Dick, and Somchai' out on the street if it's just a casual conversation which, like most things are about nothing in particular.

Like I said before; I totally accept what passes for engrish from these people most all of the time. As long as I can understand what the meaning is, it certainly ain't my job to correct 'em. I take that back, often I am with a specific group of thais where, in addition to drinking, we are exchanging languages; 'thai for english' and 'english for thai', then I hope to be corrected, just as I correct them too.

BTW: isn't that what the plethora of foreigners teaching engrish to thais are here for? Heck given the incredible number of foreigners I've met here who are allegedly "engrish teachers"; you'd think these people would be fluent in engrish instead of 'effluent' :o .

So now that I've muddied the water a little (or a lot more depending on your take on things), I hope I've cleared up the fact that in any school teaching the thai language I would hope to be corrected repeatedly, as I'm there to learn. Seeing as I didn't take the 'free class' at PhaSorn Thai, I wasn't in the best "let me correct your thai" mindset, but dealt with it, as it was done very politely.

Now out on the street, if a thai can understand what I'm saying, nope, they just need to suck it up; realize I'm a foreigner, speak thai with a foreign accent, and sometimes have my words out of order.

It's not genome decoding here, just basic communication.

To the ultra politically correct foreign contingent;

I am sorry this post contained the phrase "these people" when referring to the thais.

However, as I view my existence here as a "me against them" type of life; the phrase 'these people' is not inherently denigrating, I use it as a classifier only to differentiate them from me.

I also apologize if I've offended any of the we-b-thai, sheep-like, foreign sock-puppets living here who wear color coordinated shirts and matching snazzy rubber bracelets. B)

NOW BACK ON TOPIC

Still I give the school a thumbs up, as it's a good one! :P

Edited by tod-daniels
  • Like 2

• 13 years later...