Uk Tourist Visa

My Thai Wife & I are Seeking Advice.

We Have Been Very Lucky that having met May Last Year, granted a Fiance Visa November, married March this year and all with No Problems Concerning Embassy/Goverment etc.

However Although Both Of us are Blissfully Happy we Would Like to Get Her Father a Tourist Visa to visit us before he becomes too old. My Wifes Mother Would Probably be unable to visit due to health.

Although he has a farm, a wife and family to return to I have been advised that it will be far from easy to successfully get a visa despite there being a 100% certainty that he will return to Thailand.

Has anyone any tips/advice on the process, timescale and chances of success ?

Also Because My wife and I are of similar age (40's), have no children and had no problems whatsoever in obtaining her visa, would this be in our favour ?

Thanks. :o

Although he has a farm, a wife and family to return to I have been advised that it will be far from easy to successfully get a visa despite there being a 100% certainty that he will return to Thailand.
Advised by whom?

Your father-in-law will need to satisfy the same criteria as any other visit visa applicant, namely:-

Can he afford the visit, either on his own or with your help?

Will he have suitable accommodation during his visit?

Will he leave the UK before or when his visa expires? (He owns land, a good reason to return.)

For details, see Guidance - Visitors (INF 2)

Remember that if he is refused, as it is a family visit, he does have a right of appeal.

The circumstances of your wife's successful application are, I'm afraid, irrelevant. It will be her father's application, not hers.

Edited by GU22

Spuds,

Anyone is entitled to apply for a visit visa, and provided the criteria are met it will be issued.

Family visits may be easier as there is a right of appeal if the visa is refused, unlike tourist visas. However, as you say, reason to return could be a problem, particularly if the relative is not currently working. As Scouse says, though, in the case of an elderly relative it is unlikely that they want to come to the UK to work. Indeed, elderly dependants can apply for settlement in the UK ( see paras 317 to 319 of Immigration Rules.)

But, to repeat, if the applicant satisfies the ECO that all the criteria are met, then the visa will be issued.

i was just thinking ahead, that it would be nice to see if the mrs's sisters would be able to visit when we are all sorted. But it would be difficult as they dont work only on the family farm, oh well its a way off and we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I was just wondering has anybody else done this, (brought a sister/brother over from los to the uk from roughly the same background)?

My Thai Wife & I are Seeking Advice.

We Have Been Very Lucky that having met May Last Year, granted a Fiance Visa November, married March this year and all with No Problems Concerning Embassy/Goverment etc.

However Although Both Of us are Blissfully Happy we Would Like to Get Her Father a Tourist Visa to visit us before he becomes too old. My Wifes Mother Would Probably be unable to visit due to health.

Has anyone any tips/advice on the process, timescale and chances of success ?

Also Because My wife and I are of similar age (40's), have no children and had no problems whatsoever in obtaining her visa, would this be in our favour ?

Thanks. :o

Thanks To Everyone For Your Replies.

We Will Pay For Their Air Fares & They Will Stay At Our House So As My Father-In-Law Is 63yrs Old & Does Own a Fair Amount Of Land It Appears That From Members Views That We Stand a Good Chance.

Because of His Age We Hope To Get My Wifes Nephew (only 14yrs old) To Travel With Him, Hopefully That Will Not Affect The Application ?

Lastly a Close Friend of my Wife Wants To Visit Also However She is in her 30's, Does Not Work At Present & Does Not Have A Business Or Owns Land.

Although We Would Pay For Her Fare & She Would Stay With Us We Are Both Worried That This Application Might Affect My Father-In Law's Case If It Was Rejected ?

We Know it Would be Hard For Her To Be Successful.

Would This Be True, If So We Will Not Go Ahead With The Application As My Wife's Father Visiting Us Is Far More Inportant ?

The Friend Would Be Visiting Before My Wife's Father.

Thanks Again From The Both Of Us.

Each individual application is treated.....individually!

The success, or otherwise, of your wife's friend's application will have no bearing on the outcome of your father-in-law's.

The nephew? Reason to return may be a problem, as they may consider that he will stay in the UK with you. But as his parents won't be travelling, probably not. Get school records and a note from the school detailing when they expect him back, and if the trip is to be during term time granting him a leave of absence.

Ant,

Are you German? If not, is there any reason why you capitalise every bloody letter in a sentence? Please can you desist as you're making my eyes go funny and I can't tell where one sentence ends and another begins..........

I would suggest that the 30-year-old friend who has no close connection to the family and who has no job would be unlikely to get a visit visa.

There is no reason why your wife's nephew shouldn't apply as a travelling companion for your father-in-law. However, the visa officer would wish to see some sort of purpose behind the visit other than to act as a chaperone. Basically, why does a 14-year-old wish to spend his holidays visiting his aunt in a far away country when he could be larking around with his mates?

Scouse.

Thanks for the info, the advice has been very useful.

With the Father standing the best chance this is great news as he is obviously the most inportant visitor for my wife. We had been told a different storry!

Ps I'm not German (From East Anglia) So sorry about the capitals - bad habit!