Help, Computer Virus / Hi-jacker

Wanderer

Hi all.

I was browsing last night opened a web page and suddenly my AVG anti-virus flashes and says virus detected, asked me what I wanted to do “delete it or leave it continue” anyway in panic :D I hit detete it without reading the name of it. So I ran AVG again and it came up clean.

Next evening I switch on computer and a little window comes up do I want download latest Java up-date, I am suspicous so I say no , anyway pops up again, suddenly my screen starts to melt :D !!!! fortunately it stops at that I now have a mass of mixed colours so I can barely navigate around my computer everything is all blurred with smudged colours. :D I had a look in display properties did a system restore but same thing.

I ran numerous anti-spy and AVG, system mechanic again but nothing major turned up ( few reg changes were fixed ) and after a reboot but still same thing. have also done a scan checks from Microsoft & Norton website but everthing clean.

I then have a look at program files and I find a 65 MB file called Java with a sub-folder called jre1.5.0_01 which was created 24-06-05.(I have the usual Java file in my windows folder ) I haven’t installed anything lately so I believe this is the problem . I tried to delete it but was warned that I could cause some programs to stop running, I tried anyway but it was running. There is internet shortcuts in the folder inviting me to download more up-dates ???? Should I ??

Anyone heard of this virus/hijacker, Frustrated and going blind, :o any ideas :D

My suggestion. Dump the Java, all of it! Through Control Panel / Add or remove programs. Then scan for everything using the online scan at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?act=portal

Then scan again with AVG 7.0 and then go to http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and reinstallJava.

Good Luck and hope you make it. It's a jungle out there.

Wanderer - I assume your running Windows XP. (If your running OS10x on a G5, forget the rest of this post and start praying. :o)

Have you tried XP's "System Restore" function, to take you back to the day before your troubles started? If not, check these links for instructions:

Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur

How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP

If you did encounter a virus or other malware, it may have damaged the video card driver. If your current card was the original card supplied with your system, try reinstalling that driver from the disk which came with your system or go to the manufacturers website and download the latest version. If it was a later add-on, check that makers website for a new or replacement driver.

If you still have problems, and you have your original Windows XP disk (or can borrow one from a friend) run the Windows XP System File Checker (SFC) to look for damaged or missing dll's. Details here.

Good luck :D

Edited by waldwolf

Thanks guys for taking time out to answer, did the oldest restore, when i restarted ,java up-date popped up again so I accepted but stil had dodgy graphics. did another restart, interupted it and then did a re start in last good configuration which solved the problem :D went to programs remove , had 2 java programs 150 MB each so i got rid of them . hopefully the end :o

must block Java.com now :D

Hiya, sorry but had to add to this. AVG is no good. I have used, watch and investigated this software and it just has problem after problem. It should have deleted the file auto and folowed up any caused confliction on IE, however it did not? Why?

I am sorry but anyone using AVG should just google search for AVG problems and it really is unbelievable the results!

Anyways I would check your Registry get a copy of Hijack This

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

AVG, I would advise anyone in MY opinion to dump it.... :o

Edited by lopburiguy

I tried AGV for a couple ofdays but it really does not protect your system that much...Try using the Avast Free Home Edition...IT better and it can move your infected file to the Virus Chest...Since then i have upgraded my Avast Virus to the Avast Professional Edition which you need to Purchaced the Serial from Avast....

Well The pro edition works wonder for me...But i would recomend you the Free Home edition first....