Beach Side Motorboat / Dinghy / Catamaran Storage

Having lived here for over 5 years, it is time for me to pursue my dream and find a house on the beach, so I can enjoy my sailing and surfing a lot more often than I do now. My budget is limited and I need some space around the house to park some small boats and store my windsurf gear.

Now I found an old, crappy home on BangPo Beach within my budget, but with a nice sized plot of land adjacent to it, which is rented out seperately. The land is so big, that it can offer beach side space to up to 30 boats. Now my idea was, to let out small plots for boat owners on Samui. I put a wall around it and then I can offer secure beachside storage for small motorboats and sailboats. The location is perfect to go to Koh Phanghan or the Marine Park. Over time it could grow into a real boating club, with all kind of facilities and regular get-togethers.

So I was wondering if there is need for such a service and to boat-owners, ask the question, where they keep their boat now?

Gulfsailor.

Only promblem with bang po is you will need to build a bloody big jetty which needs approval from the marina department which will cost a lot of money ! What is your budget to buy and build this buiness ?

Sorry, I don't understand why I would need to build a jetty. I am talking about boats up to 20ft and 200kg, which can be sailed in shallow waters and dragged up and down the beach on a dolly. (Laser, Sunfish, Walker Bay, Small speedboats, Hobie Cat, etc). There is a row of coral in front of Bang Po, but nearly in front of the land I am looking at, there is an opening in the coral, like a canal. Boats up to 20ft and a depth of up to 3ft should have no problems passing the coral at high tide. At low tide you may need to dolly your boat a bit further away from the beach.

The beach itself is evenly sloped onto the flat land behind it, so taking boats in and out should be easy. I might install an electric winch, which would making dragging a boat back up to the beach possible by one person! The actual land itself where boats would be stored is high enough, so that the sea would never run over it, even at high tide and with big waves (typical November/December conditions).

I just figured out that it is also a great place for kayaking. The coral is being treated somehow by the Marine Department and where it used to be dead and black, it is actually starting to show some life now again! so if someone has a kayak and seeks a nice permament location to put it, I could build a storage rack for these as well...

My budget is pretty limited. I would need to build a perimiter wall and fence with gate, so the boats are secure at night, as well as flatten the land nicely and put in a road that allows easy access to the boat storage plots and leads out onto the beach. But if someone likes the idea and wished to participate, please do PM me.

This is not meant as a profitable business, but because right now there is no place you can leave your boat safely near the water, unless you live on the beach and keep en eye on it at all times, this could be a very welcome addittion. And if it allows me to live on the beach and keep my boats there as well, I will settle for that.

I know a few people myself, who would love to own a boat, but don't buy, beacuse they do not know where to put it. Cars generally do not have a hitch, so trailering boats around is difficult. A lot of people live in communities or compounds and most neighbours would not like the idea of a boat sitting in the common grounds... With current prices for beach land on Samui, this would be impossible to offer, unless asking for thousands of Baht per month storage fees for just a small boat. The thing about this plot in Bangpo is, that although pretty wide, it is not deep enough to allow builing a house of normal size. A previous lessee had all of his building plans for this plot of land thrown out by the land department, so he left the land and it is now as good as impossible to sell. This is why I can get it pretty cheap and as I have no intention on building any fixed structures on it, it would suit perfectly as a boat storage location. After doing some calculations I think a spot for a boat would be only a few hundred Baht a month for a small dinghy, to aorund a thousand Baht per month for a large Cat.

Oh, and I would even offer toilet and shower facilities!

Hope to hear from all boaters on Samui.

good luck with your idea gulfsailor. i live on bang por beach and have a good idea which plot you are referring to, i also know that each of my captains are quite familiar with the beach and they have to move around quite a bit to find a suitable place to drop anchor and it's always well offshore. having lived on the beach here for a number of years i can tell you that rocks break through the surface for most of the year and that makes casual boating very challenging. i'd love to have something small like a 20ft hobie cat here, in fact my neighbor has something similar however he hasn't had it on the water one time in the years i've been here.

doesn't keep me from thinking about it though, all those islands look very inviting...

Only promblem with bang po is you will need to build a bloody big jetty which needs approval from the marina department which will cost a lot of money ! What is your budget to buy and build this buiness ?

Sorry, I don't understand why I would need to build a jetty. I am talking about boats up to 20ft and 200kg, which can be sailed in shallow waters and dragged up and down the beach on a dolly. (Laser, Sunfish, Walker Bay, Small speedboats, Hobie Cat, etc). There is a row of coral in front of Bang Po, but nearly in front of the land I am looking at, there is an opening in the coral, like a canal. Boats up to 20ft and a depth of up to 3ft should have no problems passing the coral at high tide. At low tide you may need to dolly your boat a bit further away from the beach.

The beach itself is evenly sloped onto the flat land behind it, so taking boats in and out should be easy. I might install an electric winch, which would making dragging a boat back up to the beach possible by one person! The actual land itself where boats would be stored is high enough, so that the sea would never run over it, even at high tide and with big waves (typical November/December conditions).

I just figured out that it is also a great place for kayaking. The coral is being treated somehow by the Marine Department and where it used to be dead and black, it is actually starting to show some life now again! so if someone has a kayak and seeks a nice permament location to put it, I could build a storage rack for these as well...

My budget is pretty limited. I would need to build a perimiter wall and fence with gate, so the boats are secure at night, as well as flatten the land nicely and put in a road that allows easy access to the boat storage plots and leads out onto the beach. But if someone likes the idea and wished to participate, please do PM me.

This is not meant as a profitable business, but because right now there is no place you can leave your boat safely near the water, unless you live on the beach and keep en eye on it at all times, this could be a very welcome addittion. And if it allows me to live on the beach and keep my boats there as well, I will settle for that.

I know a few people myself, who would love to own a boat, but don't buy, beacuse they do not know where to put it. Cars generally do not have a hitch, so trailering boats around is difficult. A lot of people live in communities or compounds and most neighbours would not like the idea of a boat sitting in the common grounds... With current prices for beach land on Samui, this would be impossible to offer, unless asking for thousands of Baht per month storage fees for just a small boat. The thing about this plot in Bangpo is, that although pretty wide, it is not deep enough to allow builing a house of normal size. A previous lessee had all of his building plans for this plot of land thrown out by the land department, so he left the land and it is now as good as impossible to sell. This is why I can get it pretty cheap and as I have no intention on building any fixed structures on it, it would suit perfectly as a boat storage location. After doing some calculations I think a spot for a boat would be only a few hundred Baht a month for a small dinghy, to aorund a thousand Baht per month for a large Cat.

Noble intention and good luck with the low tides but I agree with Dunc, Thong Krut is my favourite site.also. We all know the island desparately needs a boat ramp but at the moment, Thong Krut is the next best thing. The locals have cut an all year round channel and shelter which rises to a hard packed coral sand beach. rising to the main road. We,ve launched several 30 foot boats and trailers there, no probs. For storage I'd be looking at the vacant properties across the road and a storage / launching service as SEAT Boats does in Pattaya, would be a nice little venture for someone. Another bonus is the many small uninhabited islands to the South to explore..

Edited by crusty

The general problem with a boatyard on Samui is the price of land on the beach. A plot in the cheapest Southern parts of Samui would still cost 15M per rai. If you add up the cost of infrastructure, such as ramp, roads to connect plots to the ramp, perimeter wall, toilet facilities, etc. you are looking at an investment of around 10M for half a rai. The actual yearly cost of the land would then add up to around 1M. Baht when you calculate interest, taxes and some maintenance. A third of the land would be used for facilities, so you can only effectively store boats on around 530 square meters. A normal sized beach cat would need around 18 square meters of space, you can store 29 of such crafts. That would result in having to charge nearly 3000 Baht per month for storage. And that implies the staff at the site work for free, all plots are taken and no profit will be made. Doesn't sound like a sound business idea to me...

The good thing about the plot on BangPo beach, is that you are not allowed to build any structure on it, effectively reducing its value considerably. If somebody knows of other such beach plots on Samui, please do let me know!

These are the only reasons I have not bought a boat here yet, hope your plan works out for you.

There is a nice concrete slipway at Saards Watersports near the Seatran pier in Bangrak. not sure how much they charge to slip a boat there but have to go see the owner this month so will find out. There is also some storage area adjacent to the slip as well. Maybe worth a look Gulf sailor

There is a nice concrete slipway at Saards Watersports near the Seatran pier in Bangrak. not sure how much they charge to slip a boat there but have to go see the owner this month so will find out. There is also some storage area adjacent to the slip as well. Maybe worth a look Gulf sailor

:angry: Forget Sa ards, we finished up with stinking sewerage mud uo to our waists and your boat will grate on the sharp coral below the mud. Petcharats ramp is much better for Baht 500 up or down..

Hi Gulfsailor

I think that you will need to consider fuelling facilities if you are intending to attract non-sailing types.

Also a crane/winch for minor maintenance.

Getting a boat in/out of the water in Bang Po at certain times of the year may be a problem due to wave height.

It's a good idea but would exclude me due to the size restriction and the lack of a safe mooring area. I use Petcharat

at Bang Rak although they are a little pricey.

Gator

Hi Gulfsailor

I think that you will need to consider fuelling facilities if you are intending to attract non-sailing types.

Getting a boat in/out of the water in Bang Po at certain times of the year may be a problem due to wave height.

It's a good idea but would exclude me due to the size restriction and the lack of a safe mooring area. I use Petcharat

Gator

Gator, do you know other services Petcharat can provied, like boat storage or maintance?

Hi Gulfsailor

Gator

Gator, do you know other services Petcharat can provied, like boat storage or maintance?

Zoning regulations would prohibit any type of fuel storage or garage-like activities on all beaches, meaning working on motorboats would likely be an nono as well. Of course there are plenty of dubious activities going on before the zoning thing was introduced, but starting a new activity in a location where it should not be, would be a sure way to make your monthly costs rise pretty fast, if one wanted to stay in business . To be honest I wouldn't want people grinding, welding, sanding and painting their boat with other boats lying around. A perfect solution would be to have a small plot of beachland which could house maybe 20 or 30 dinghies and cats which go in out and frequently and a boat ramp that ends on a flat hard beach and on the other side of the (main)road a piece of land used for storage of larger boats and a maintenance area with fuel service.

Anyone know any unused plot anywhere??

And the important questions are ofcourse:

How much would you be willing to pay to have your boat sitting securely beachfront all year round next to a boat ramp, which you can use as much as you like?

How much would you be willing to pay to just use the boatramp on an ad-hoc basis, if you waould not store your boat on-site?

If anyone wants to explore this idea with me, do please let me know.

Hi Gulfsailor

Gator

Yes they provide boat storage on their land opposite. They have a 4WD tractor that makes hauling your trailer out simpler.

Hi Gulfsailor

Gator

Yes they provide boat storage on their land opposite. They have a 4WD tractor that makes hauling your trailer out simpler.

Thanks for the info Crusty. :thumbsup:

Hi Gulfsailor

Gator

Thanks for the info Crusty. :thumbsup:

KTD, there is a Petcharat boat storage facility but it's about a quarter of a mile down a track. It's fine if you want to leave the boat out the water for more than a few days.

If you moor the boat there you can get it hauled out a couple of times a month free.

They don't generally do maintenance but have lifting facilities. Fuel is a couple of baht more than pump prices.

KTD, there is a Petcharat boat storage facility but it's about a quarter of a mile down a track. It's fine if you want to leave the boat out the water for more than a few days.

If you moor the boat there you can get it hauled out a couple of times a month free.

They don't generally do maintenance but have lifting facilities. Fuel is a couple of baht more than pump prices.

thanks!

• 9 months later...

Noble intention and good luck with the low tides but I agree with Dunc, Thong Krut is my favourite site.also. We all know the island desparately needs a boat ramp but at the moment, Thong Krut is the next best thing. The locals have cut an all year round channel and shelter which rises to a hard packed coral sand beach. rising to the main road. We,ve launched several 30 foot boats and trailers there, no probs. For storage I'd be looking at the vacant properties across the road and a storage / launching service as SEAT Boats does in Pattaya, would be a nice little venture for someone. Another bonus is the many small uninhabited islands to the South to explore..

Hi there,

theres a secure boat storage at Samui Storage thats where i store mine. Big 3m fence, security, CCTV and only 5m to thong krut. been good for me.

good luck

Hi there,

theres a secure boat storage at Samui Storage thats where i store mine. Big 3m fence, security, CCTV and only 5m to thong krut. been good for me.

good luck

Are you talking about the one Just out of Lamai? Looks impressive.