Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

piglets that look like those ones in the photos can be stopped, the main thing to do is clean clean clean make sure the invironment is the best you can make it.look around the pig house and imagine "would I want to lay down there" could I be comfortable in there? clean, dry and when young warm areas will go along way in the

growth and health of the piglets.

• Like 1

Thx guys for helping.

I have read up on PCV2 . What I understand is that it will disappear over time. The strange is that they start get sick around 10 kg and when they reach 20 it is gone. Just a few past away. I could not find any vaccine either.

Question about breed

I'm not sure about these two. We only use breed from Denmark except 20% who is Betagro. Next year we will only have danish breed. Our customer use to pick danish breed first. I think that is because they are longer and have a better structure. One of our customer told us that danish pigs gives him more meat then the other breed (Betagro).

Note guys PCV2 is a virus and transmitted from the sow. Not all piglets that have it will show clinical signs. Your problem may well be more than just the skin issues.

yep some can be carriers and never show this,

i use diluted detol spayed all over the pen once that pen is empty,

spay down the passage, might be expencive, but i used it in england and ill carry on useing it here,

jays fluid is also very very good,,

jake

• Like 2

The type of lesions don't look like occasion to me in photo. But I would recommended a combination of sanitation, regular use of disinfectant in pen and on severely effected pigs lesions (PURPLE STUF)and amoxilin in drinking water in infected pen.the antibiotic will combat the bacteria and even if the source is viral bacteria will get in through the lesions. Remember that cause of death often is the results of secondary infections because immune system is bad as a result of initial infection.just my thought

Sent from my i-mobile i-style 7.1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

With Danish do you mean Danish landrace? A 100%Danish landscape would not be an ideal breeding pig for meat pigs. Betagro is a company name like cp. The sows you can buy from betagro farms are normally crosses between largewhite and landrace. If you can buy 100% landrace or largewhite they cost twice as much since they don't like to sell and create compettitors. If you have 100% Danish landscape sows as nd sell llgilts for meat you could make much more selling breeding stock. Might be worthwhile to check on breed o o your sows. A 100% landrace gilt of 95kg is 20000thb at the moment at betagro.

Had a look. They have landrace, Yorkshire, and hybrids between these two. You probably have hybrids because the purebreeds are always much more expensive.

Yorkshire is the same as large-white. And the largewhite-landrace hybrid is the most common sow.

I suspect you use a Duroc or Pietrain boar as finisher? These Should give nice piglets.

Edited by revar

Yes, they are hybrid. We have 10 pure breed large white sows and 1 purebreed boar. Rest are hybrid. We also have 3 duroc where one for sure is purebreed the other tvo is betagro. They should also be pure, but u never know with betagro.

Yes, they are hybrid. We have 10 pure breed large white sows and 1 purebreed landrace boar. Rest are hybrid. We also have 3 duroc where one for sure is purebreed the other two is betagro. They should also be pure, but u never know with betagro.

One of our first time pregnant gilts has a lameness problem with her right front foot. It's been going on for two weeks now and antibiotics only seem to help for a few days. Foot looks fine. Today she's 50 days pregnant and an hour a go she started discharging clear fluid. No little piglets yet, but I'm afraid it is a miscarriage. Any thoughts?

One of our first time pregnant gilts has a lameness problem with her right front foot. It's been going on for two weeks now and antibiotics only seem to help for a few days. Foot looks fine. Today she's 50 days pregnant and an hour a go she started discharging clear fluid. No little piglets yet, but I'm afraid it is a miscarriage. Any thoughts?

try to let nature take its course with the lameness, give she extra space and just try and get through this pregnancy.

the anitibiotics might not be good for the unborn piglets, only time will tell about the discharge, should know if she is aborting within 24 hours at least I would have said.

the foot, does it have a "longness " to it, seem to walk on the top of her nail? if so I would not keep the said pig past this litter because she will always have problems here.

good luck.

We have it also sometimes. It can be a wrong move from the sow itself.

We give them than Butasyl what makes the pain better for the animal. This for 3 days.

Also we give antibiotics in the water (Novacoltin WS), that's better than with a shot, because they not fade from it.

Works always with our sows.

Good luck

Chris

Thanks all, what surprised me is the quantity. It's dripping out a lot.

Also first time she didn't finish her food within minutes

Edited by revar

what you have to think with antibiotics, more so if its a wide spectrum,

is that not only does it kill the dad bacteria it will also kill the good bacteria, so please be very carefull with antibacteria you can get the likes of baytrill will kill everything,

just be carefull with what you get,

ive just been reading about vulvar discharge, and they say it is comon and not to worry unless there is blood in it,

jake

Hi, everything I could find about vulgar discharge is about the first days/weeks after insemmination or just before birth. This one is 50 days in

. I was very reluctant to use antibiotics but at one time she couldn't stand up anymore. Been better but starting to get worse. Used penstrep. Vulva swollen and red now, buy it's not her time of oestrus on case she already aborted

Edited by revar

at 50 days you should be able to see if she is pregers or not. if not its sounds like she is coming into season again, red ness ect...

if she is pregers and has not started loosing the piglets yet I doubt if she will if its plus plus many hours since discharge started. if she had/has aready aborted im sure you would have seen the evidence on the floor.

try and keep her cool, but only time will tell.

The afterbirth just started to come out. So she miscaried

Also found an infection one her upper leg,hard to see but you came feel it. Feels hot and might new the cause

Sorry to hear that Revar. At least you now know what is happening. Hopefully the leg infection will now respond to antibiotics. The question now is, do you keep her and take the risk again or sell her and find another gilt/sow?

good luck

Peter

Just spoke with betagro.

I will sell her, keep part of the money to cover-food and other costs and give part to them. They will deliver a new gilt in July free

Edited by revar

Tatoos are one the ears.

5Numbers on each ear. NoT c37.

All are completely documented including tatoos of parrents

Edited by revar

the ear tattoos tell you which farm the piglet was born at ( every farm different number) and the other ear tells you which week and what year said piglet was born in.

the number system im on about must be an internal letter number system. (wife contract farms for betagro)

No neck tatoo. But the gilts I bought were from the same farm but completely different numbers. buying the through betagro hybribs int.

Edited by revar

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning another brilliant day in thailand i was wondering if any one had any experience with growing crops for strip grazing for my breeder pigs preferably a crop that grows fast and has a reasonable protein content thanks in advance kevin

kevin ,

i thought of having some pigs free range, but i think the sun would be to hot mate, just my thoughts,

would be a good idea, i was looking at buying a couple of rai of teak trees and run them round the bottom of them, but they wont sell me the land,

never mind ill just stick to my pens,

jake

Hi jake i have my pigs semi freerange i was also worried about the heat and sunburn but not a problem at all also the pen cleaning is minimal they crap outsideseems to work for me and growth rates are comparable with other peoples pigs

• Like 1