English Education Books For Thai Girlfriend?

muratremix

I tried to search on forums but I got nothing. I need some help.

In 2 days I will return to my country with my Thai girlfriend (28 yo) for 4 months. I have no problem with communication but I want something to fill her free time with something useful, like improving (or learning the proper) english. At first I thought I can send her to an English course but I don't think it will work because English is not native language of my country (i.e students prefer to speak / ask in their language in English courses)

I am in Pattaya now and I will be in Bangkok tomorrow. I want to buy some good English education set with VCD or DVDs (or only a set of books) that will teach English to Thai nationals easy & fun. I will supervise her progress and I may send her to a proper English course when she return to Thailand.

Any recommendations? I want her to learn English grammar, tenses, maybe some new commonly used words etc.

If you go to Se-Ed books there is a series of paperback books that are designed for adult learners. There are a lot of the classic books plus other general titles and they are graded for learners . They have a glossary on the side of the page in Thai that will explain some of the more difficult words or terms.

One series is called Se-Ed Genius Series and these contain a CD and cost 135 THB.The other series is called Oxford Bookworms and are about 85 THB.

Edited by xen
  • Like 1

How long have you known this girl? What kind of effort has she put into learning English since you've come to know her? If it's a big fat zero, maybe it would be a better idea for you to consider learning Thai instead.

As regards books, you don't need to buy anything. There are plenty of sites on the web like English grammar for example where your girlfriend can improve her knowledge of the English language.

• Like 1

Just a bit of advice for the OP regarding not enrolling her into a English course.

I had my wife (Thai) enrolled in college in th US, the class was 90% Hispanic. They all got along and spoke English pretty well. Having friends is so important for her especially if you have to work.

Se-Ed Books is the bookshop , commonly found in Tesco Lotus Premises. There is a Se-Ed in Tuk Com in Pattaya on the ground floor . There is also on in Central ,near to Asia Books (forth floor I think).

The site Xircal suggested is excellent but would scare off most learners , i think . I have added it to my favourites for the times i need to explain some part of English that i struggle to explain clearly. Thanks for that link.

• Like 1

One additional observation if I may. Can your girlfriend understand the English alphabet? Many Thai girls can speak a little bit of English, but can't read. If she doesn't, then all the books in the world won't help.

• Like 1

If you go to Se-Ed books there is a series of paperback books that are designed for adult learners. There are a lot of the classic books plus other general titles and they are graded for learners . They have a glossary on the side of the page in Thai that will explain some of the more difficult words or terms.

One series is called Se-Ed Genius Series and these contain a CD and cost 135 THB.The other series is called Oxford Bookworms and are about 85 THB.

Agreed - these are excellent. Far more enjoyable than a boring grammar, unless you have a good teacher. Buy at least a dozen, varying grades (1-6) and make sure they are read in order (by grade of difficulty). Se-Ed upstairs in Tesco-Lotus Pattaya Tai, next to the KFC in the Food Court, has the best selection, at the back of the shop on the left hand side. We found the CDs a bit of a waste of time as we read them together, but if you are working while she is reading at home they may be a good idea.

Edit: choose the titles together - she may prefer the ones with pictures!

Edited by JohnLeech
  • Like 1