Preschool Education In Chiang Mai - Parents Views Please

DanRW

Ok I run a small preschool / kindergarten. I wont give the name.

A lot of people / parents have approached me bemoaning the provision of education in Chiang Mai and I was wondering what experiences parents reading this might have had. What's going on?

To add a bit of context, a professional Australian creative dance teacher remarked to me today that schools in CM are pretty unreceptive to her (fantastic, I have to say) services. In one hour today our children exercised vigorously , developed concentration and relaxation, used their imagination, practiced social skills, collaborated, & laughed.

Another parents has approached us almost begging us to run an after school programme for her 8 yr old who is bright but failing in her current school.

I'm particularly interested to find out about your views on - in no particular order.

1. Fees

2. Facilities

3. Quality of teaching / curriculum implementation

4. Extra curricular activities

5. What you feel is missing - what you would like to see

6. Satisfied overall?

Got anything to share?

Thanks in advance.

Dan.

There seems to be plenty of choice for pre-schoolers in CM

I can only comment on ABS in Saraphi where we send our 3.5 year old but he loves it.

To answer you points:

1. Fees are pricey for Thailand approx 25,000 per semester and their summer school prog is too expensive.

2. Rooms are pretty small but overall facilities are OK

3. Teaching quality hard to say, they have regular "meet the tecahers" days and they all seem to enjoy their work

4. Lots of extra stuff offered, at a price of course!

5. What's missing? Not sure, but they are very money concious indeed, like asking for fees for NEXT years 1st semester in September this year! A lot of parents had a whinge about that.

6. I'm satisfied with ABS, the boy really looks forward to going and is always happy when we pick him up. The teachers are all very freindly and approachable, unlike some of the other schools we looked at. Apart from being a bit too mercenary they do a good job.

They put on regular shows where the kids sing and dance, thats a pretty nice touch too.

> 1. Fees

Tend to be negotiable.

> 2. Facilities

Excellent.

> 3. Quality of teaching / curriculum implementation

Exccellent

> 4. Extra curricular activities

Excellent, though I don't like busing very small kids around in minivans without safety seats. We tend to drive our kids ourselves to wherever the event is.

> 5. What you feel is missing - what you would like to see

Maybe some more interaction with regular Thai kids.. Like some kind of program or event that joins with a nearby school that's predominantly Thai.

> 6. Satisfied overall?

Very.

There seems to be plenty of choice for pre-schoolers in CM

I can only comment on ABS in Saraphi where we send our 3.5 year old but he loves it.

To answer you points:

1. Fees are pricey for Thailand approx 25,000 per semester and their summer school prog is too expensive.

2. Rooms are pretty small but overall facilities are OK

3. Teaching quality hard to say, they have regular "meet the tecahers" days and they all seem to enjoy their work

4. Lots of extra stuff offered, at a price of course!

5. What's missing? Not sure, but they are very money concious indeed, like asking for fees for NEXT years 1st semester in September this year! A lot of parents had a whinge about that.

6. I'm satisfied with ABS, the boy really looks forward to going and is always happy when we pick him up. The teachers are all very freindly and approachable, unlike some of the other schools we looked at. Apart from being a bit too mercenary they do a good job.

They put on regular shows where the kids sing and dance, thats a pretty nice touch too.

I had very bad experiences with ABS. Although it may look OK at a first glance I found that the management is very unprofessional. It all centers very much about money and far less attention is given to the needs of the children. There seems to be a very high turnover of teachers, principals and staff, qualifications of staff are often sub standard and the hygienic situation at the school should be improved. Having said that, there used to be some good teachers at the school (not sure if they are still there).

In my opinion better alternatives would be Varee (but has rather large class sizes) or NAPA (probably one of the best bilingual kindergartens, but also one of the most expensive)

In my opinion better alternatives would be Varee (but has rather large class sizes) or NAPA (probably one of the best bilingual kindergartens, but also one of the most expensive)

Agreed about NAPA. I send people their way quite a lot as we were impressed with their facilities. Big rooms. Organic garden. I think they set a good standard for curriculum-based schooling in CM.

Dan, hi, it's not clear if you have already done a thaivisa forum search before posting but if not then try searching using terms like:

chiangmai, kindergarten, nursery school, preschool ... sooner or later you will come across a listing of all the kindergartens and then you can search using the name of each kindy/school to turn up even more discussion threads. It will be worth the effort if you want detailed feedback about personal experiences - there have been some very interesting threads just in the past 2-3 years alone.

We have experience with Little Stars and Sarasas (the one not far from the train station) and were happy with both. We are now about to move back to CNX and are in the process of looking at alternatives for the next step ... probably one of the international schools

Nandachart Pre-School and Grade School is probably the worst place to send a child. None of the Native English Speaking staff have university degrees or any other training at the Hang Dong campus and very few of the Thai teachers are qualified either. They accept children with special needs, such as autism and ADD, and then place them in a class with the other students. There is no curriculum in place. No real lessons are taught; simply occupying the children is the main focus. The management doesn't seem to have any knowledge about running the school except to gather fees. Every few weeks or so, they try to come up with a new methodology to teach the children but little thought and no expertize goes into it. Trial and error seem to be their approach. The lunches provided are sub-standard and contain MSG to reduce costs. Children are allowed to run amok as there is absolutely no discipline or rules of conduct at the school. Many students are allowed to wander the campus unsupervised rather than attend classes. Some of the Thai kindergarten teachers have been known to victimize some of the children, even as young as two years old. The turn around of staff is in the order of six per semester. Need I go on? I wouldn't send my children there if you paid me (any amount).

Dan, hi, it's not clear if you have already done a thaivisa forum search before posting but if not then try searching using terms like:

chiangmai, kindergarten, nursery school, preschool ... sooner or later you will come across a listing of all the kindergartens and then you can search using the name of each kindy/school to turn up even more discussion threads. It will be worth the effort if you want detailed feedback about personal experiences - there have been some very interesting threads just in the past 2-3 years alone.

We have experience with Little Stars and Sarasas (the one not far from the train station) and were happy with both. We are now about to move back to CNX and are in the process of looking at alternatives for the next step ... probably one of the international schools

Hi yes you're spot on ... not used to the search funtion at all - always get error messages. I did look around but was obviously doing something wrong! I'll try this out - thanks.

Btw. Try Nakorn Payap.

Dan

> 1. Fees

Tend to be negotiable.

> 2. Facilities

Excellent.

> 3. Quality of teaching / curriculum implementation

Exccellent

> 4. Extra curricular activities

Excellent, though I don't like busing very small kids around in minivans without safety seats. We tend to drive our kids ourselves to wherever the event is.

> 5. What you feel is missing - what you would like to see

Maybe some more interaction with regular Thai kids.. Like some kind of program or event that joins with a nearby school that's predominantly Thai.

> 6. Satisfied overall?

Very.

Thanks WTK. A resounding success by the sounds of it.

No. 5. there: What do you think your child would get out of this? Cultural exchange - language perhaps? We used to have sports days when I was young. Would your school be open to such a suggestion if you approached them?

And I suppose this follows on from this. You're obviously very happy, would you say the school included you, the parents, in the education process? Do you even think this is important?

Could you possibly PM me the name of the school?

Dan.

Nandachart Pre-School and Grade School is probably the worst place to send a child. None of the Native English Speaking staff have university degrees or any other training at the Hang Dong campus and very few of the Thai teachers are qualified either. They accept children with special needs, such as autism and ADD, and then place them in a class with the other students. There is no curriculum in place. No real lessons are taught; simply occupying the children is the main focus. The management doesn't seem to have any knowledge about running the school except to gather fees. Every few weeks or so, they try to come up with a new methodology to teach the children but little thought and no expertize goes into it. Trial and error seem to be their approach. The lunches provided are sub-standard and contain MSG to reduce costs. Children are allowed to run amok as there is absolutely no discipline or rules of conduct at the school. Many students are allowed to wander the campus unsupervised rather than attend classes. Some of the Thai kindergarten teachers have been known to victimize some of the children, even as young as two years old. The turn around of staff is in the order of six per semester. Need I go on? I wouldn't send my children there if you paid me (any amount).

May I ask how you know all this also the fact that you accuse the teachers of victimization I would think are along the lines of lieblous statement

Are you a disgruntled employee ??

The reason I say that is my daughter along with another friends son both attend this pre school and both of us are in agreement the kids LOVE IT there I have personally met the teachers whom the kids seem to really like and were excited to see them, does not seem an action of a child that is being victimized.

My daughter who is almost 3 I have noticed many positive things since she has attended that school and the first school she went to she hated and did not want to go, now she is excited to go to school.

Your description is far from the truth coming from actual parents who have children enrolled there and who are very happy with the school.

I will be sure to alert the school to your libelous accusations about victimization of 2 year olds .

DK

Edited by DiamondKing

May I ask how you know all this also the fact that you accuse the teachers of victimization I would think are along the lines of lieblous statement

The reason I say that is my daughter along with another friends son both attend this pre school and both of us are in agreement the kids LOVE IT there I have personally met the teachers whom the kids seem to really like and were excited to see them, does not seem an action of a child that is being victimized.

My daughter who is almost 3 I have noticed many positive things since she has attended that school and the first school she went to she hated and did not want to go, now she is excited to go to school.

Your description is far from the truth coming from actual parents who have children enrolled there and who are very happy with the school.

I will be sure to alert the school to your libelous accusations about victimization of 2 year olds .

DK

I have no idea about the Hang Dong branch but my boy went to the Nandachart in town and I found it perfectly OK for a pre-school but nothing special that was a couple of years ago. I guess teacher of woe has a grudge of some sort as well.

DK

Yes, this is a good point DK. It was remiss of me not to have said something similar myself. I was assuming the comments were made from personal experience as a parent. I should take part of the blame for this as my post was loosely worded.

No mud-slinging please.

All schools will have parents with positive and negative experiences. This is one view - if Teacherofwoe is a parent then their comments should be interpreted in the context of a range of assumed parent experiences. If he/she his a former employee his/her comments can be assumed to be biased and should be disregarded in this topic.

DK

Yes, this is a good point DK. It was remiss of me not to have said something similar myself. I was assuming the comments were made from personal experience as a parent. I should take part of the blame for this as my post was loosely worded.

No mud-slinging please.

All schools will have parents with positive and negative experiences. This is one view - if Teacherofwoe is a parent then their comments should be interpreted in the context of a range of assumed parent experiences. If he/she his a former employee his/her comments can be assumed to be biased and should be disregarded in this topic.

Whats the point in asking for opinions if you are going to drop the L word that has limited this forum so much

Come on --- everyone expects that one or two comments will be out of line but unless you know for sure that the accusations are not true, I wouldnt jump so fast to discredit them

DK

No mud-slinging please.

Whats the point in asking for opinions if you are going to drop the L word that has limited this forum so much

Come on --- everyone expects that one or two comments will be out of line but unless you know for sure that the accusations are not true, I wouldnt jump so fast to discredit them

Hi PlanetX

It wasn't my word. And I don't mean it to sound like I'm discrediting the opinion. I'm assuming the person is a parent - well I should qualify that further by saying a suitably informed parent.

Teacherofwoe's comment didn't surprise me when I first read it. My cousins daughter came home from a preschool with the teachers nail mark still visible on her earlobe!

There's a wide range of schooling on offer at the preschool level and I'm trying to find where service to parents meets expectation. If it does then what are the good points? If not then what's missing? If such a wide range can be allowed to exist then what can be done to raise standards? It's all ok if you're rich enough to afford a good school but the cheaper ones also need to deliver.

Another comment I hear is that many schools are run more like businesses - with a focus on profits rather than rediverting fees back into creating a nourishing learning environment for the pupils.

Cheers, Dan

I think it was a hit and run statement from teacherwoe but nevertheless being a kinda anal parent that understands abuse can come from the most unsuspected place I decided to ask my daughter a few choice questions about the school and the teachers so I asked her if her teachers were nice she nodded with a big smile on her face and then I asked her if the teacher hit her or if she sees them hitting any other kids her answer with a slight look of shock on her face NO daddy they no hit (in her broken english)

She knows very well even at almost 3 that I don't condone anyone using physical violence to punish anyone and knows to tell me and I believe she would tell me.

It did make me realize that even though I dont think the post was truthful its still worth keeping an open mind and not discount it 100% I guess its always possible,

Nothing in my mind is changed with regards to the school I still think sits a great little pre school.

DK

I have three kids at Nakorn Payap (NIS), one went through the early learners program and is not is 2nd grade and one is currently in K1.

The Early Learners Program (K1-3) shares a facility with NAPA, the Bilingual Part of NIS, and as mentioned before the facilities are quite large and the class sizes rather small (12-16 Students). Each of the Western trained teachers also has a full-time assistant.

If a parent is looking for a babysitting program, this is not the program for them. The students in the Early Learners program are given homework (Not excessive) that requires the parents participation. At the end of the year, students that have not retained the required knowledge or reached a certain maturity level needed for the next grade are held back.

I am quite satisfied with the results at the NIS Preschool. Much of the success can be attributed to not having a rotating staff, but the same teachers and staff that has been at the school for many years. The 2nd grader has the same teaher that the 7th grader had when she was in 2nd grade.

Firstly, I am not a disgruntled employee, but a parent. Second, all of the information in my original post came from current and ex employees. There are plenty of reliable witnesses, Thai and foreign, who can and would corroborate everything mentioned above. As with the teacher who has victimized children, I didn't mention anything about her doing violence. After hearing everything about the school from the inside, I decided not to re enroll my children. When I asked my children about the school they of course said they like it there because they can play. I think that I'm more inclined to heed the the teachers than the opinion of my young children. Taking the time to introduce myself to the teachers and get to know them outside or school was worthwhile.

Dan, no offense, but where is your own facility located and why won't you name it? I seem to recall that a few months back you were talking up starting your own Montessori-type program in CM. May one assume you've scuttled that and are now looking for a place for your own child/children or is this topic more market research?

My little one is in Reception class at Lanna International school (British equivalent to Kindergarten 2). I am extremely happy with the education he receives, and the pre-school teachers are top notch. They also follow a proper curriculum - they are not there just to play, although he certainly has fun and enjoys his days at school! I am a Secondary school teacher there though, so I have the advantage of not having to pay international school fees - they're not too big anyway at this age, but more than most "bilingual" kindergartens...

We receive very thorough rubric based reports each quarter detailing progress in all key areas, followed by a meeting with the teachers. We get invited in at the end of each topic to see what has been going on, and recently I was impressed to have an appointment made to meet with my son's main teacher so that she could teach me how to better help teach him to read. I read with him anyway, of course, but it was great to be taught good strategies that I can use to improve his learning, and make it fun too.

Lanna isn't as pretty as many other schools in Chiang Mai, but what they actually DO in the kindergarten is great. I feel very privileged to have my son cared for by the teachers that he has had over the last two years. If you want a pretty school there are many better options. I know of many schools in Chiang Mai that won't invest in quality teachers (as they see it as an expense rather than an investment), but have gorgeous new buildings. You pay your money and take your choice...

My little one is in Reception class at Lanna International school (British equivalent to Kindergarten 2). I am extremely happy with the education he receives, and the pre-school teachers are top notch. They also follow a proper curriculum - they are not there just to play, although he certainly has fun and enjoys his days at school! I am a Secondary school teacher there though, so I have the advantage of not having to pay international school fees - they're not too big anyway at this age, but more than most "bilingual" kindergartens...

We receive very thorough rubric based reports each quarter detailing progress in all key areas, followed by a meeting with the teachers. We get invited in at the end of each topic to see what has been going on, and recently I was impressed to have an appointment made to meet with my son's main teacher so that she could teach me how to better help teach him to read. I read with him anyway, of course, but it was great to be taught good strategies that I can use to improve his learning, and make it fun too.

Lanna isn't as pretty as many other schools in Chiang Mai, but what they actually DO in the kindergarten is great. I feel very privileged to have my son cared for by the teachers that he has had over the last two years. If you want a pretty school there are many better options. I know of many schools in Chiang Mai that won't invest in quality teachers (as they see it as an expense rather than an investment), but have gorgeous new buildings. You pay your money and take your choice...

Thats great to hear about Lanna.

I have heard good things about APIS, CMIS, NIS and PTIS (prem). PTIS recently held a preview night at the Shangri-La for their early learners program. They did a great deal of research and compiled many different sources to develop a very full and in-depth program. I was dissapointed to see their ratios still being above 10 though so hopefully as more students enroll and the program gets going they will fill out their staff.

One of the most important things I looked for is teacher: student ratio. Anything above 10 is absurd and really should not be above 5. There are many qualified Thai teaching assistants that are very capable of supporting an early learners classroom which allows the children to have much more personal one on one time.

Most international schools seem to cap the max students at 15 with one qualified native english teacher and several thai assistants.

The school can have the best resources and facilities but if they cant offer some quality time with each child, it becomes a cattle herd. There really is no excuse either because Thai assistants are very qualified and capable and their salaries are very low compared to tuition rates at some of the schools in chiang mai.

Its amazing what you can do in an early learners classroom with 15 students and 3-4 adults (1 qualified teacher, 3 assistants) - the quality of the experience for both the children and parents rises exponentially

• 2 weeks later...

Dan, no offense, but where is your own facility located and why won't you name it? I seem to recall that a few months back you were talking up starting your own Montessori-type program in CM. May one assume you've scuttled that and are now looking for a place for your own child/children or is this topic more market research?

Sorry, been away and haven't been keeping up.

None taken. Yes this is really about market research - TVF is great to get people's opinions on things. I'm trying to build an understanding of what's going on basically - so much to choose from, a real mixed bag. Little regulation, etc. etc.

Just interested to know what parents think.

Well remembered!. We opened in June this year. This isn't about our school though - just wanted a bit of info.

Cheers,

Dan

My little one is in Reception class at Lanna International school (British equivalent to Kindergarten 2). I am extremely happy with the education he receives

Thanks Jim! This is great - We must pay them a visit. I'm from the UK and am glad there's a British based system on offer (if only because I undersand it more than the American!). Interesting that you're a teacher there too.

We've got a free community event coming up next month with food, music, activities for children etc. Would be good to talk to you more. Please come!

Dan

My kid went to nursery / kindergarten at Kiddy Bear Club. I'm not sure if it is still around.

There was a long waiting list to get in but the wait was well worth it. It was a very balanced education with lots of games and activities, the teachers and the owner were really approachable.

My kid absolutely loved it and as a result has always been keen / happy going to school !

It used to be behind a motorcycle dealership (Honda i think) on the same road as PRC, does anyone know if it is still open?

I've also heard good things about Varee.

My kid went to nursery / kindergarten at Kiddy Bear Club. I'm not sure if it is still around.

There was a long waiting list to get in but the wait was well worth it. It was a very balanced education with lots of games and activities, the teachers and the owner were really approachable.

My kid absolutely loved it and as a result has always been keen / happy going to school !

It used to be behind a motorcycle dealership (Honda i think) on the same road as PRC, does anyone know if it is still open?

Kiddy Bear moved to the old Indian consulate building along Faham Road a few years ago. Kids who attend Kiddy Bear seem to have a better chance of being accepted by CMIS.

Yup, Kiddybear are still around but I think they might have moved recently - I have been as far as the gates to their new place but it was a while ago and can't remember where it was. North side of town.

• 1 year later...

If any parents are looking for a school suitable for children with Autism, we may be able to help.. We offer ABA Programs to help children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders integrate into mainstream school. We personally moved to CM a couple of years ago, and using ABA my son went from attending the APIS Kindergarden with one-to-one support, and is now support free, developmentally in line with his peers and attends Varee Kindergarten now. (Which I cant praise highly enough!) Please feel free to let me know if anyone is experiencing issues with Autism they may need help with, either CM or BKK.

We send our son to NAPA. Although it advertises as bilingual it is heavily Thai based and a child with no Thai may struggle. The standards and facilities are good and the care for the young children is excellent. The education is very much 'old fashioned' so standards of behaviour are taught which we very much like but others might not. Our son is 3 years old and equally proficient in both English and Thai having been . The school educates the children as well as giving play and creativity.