In Bangkok, Want To Go Pattaya?

Hi people

Just signed up as I am finding it hard to understand what to do here. I am with 2 mates travelling around Thailand and am trying to figure out the best way. I was told to get bus to Pattaya and then book place to stay for 3 nights when there. We then went to the torist info and they said we had to book it 3 days in advance and said we need to book our whole month trip with them as we are in peek season and everywhere is full????

Can anyone recomend the best way to book a place in Pattaya from Bangkok which is cheep self catering, with aircon and wifi? Can I do it online anywhere or does it work out more expensive.

Thanks

Jon

You do not need to book 3 days in advance. Just go to the bus station and get a ticket. When you get to Pattaya you will find that most guesthouses are half empty so you should be able to get a cheap deal for 3/4 days, Whilst in Thailand why not come to Chiang Mai. Lots to see and do

Edited by techno

Go to Mor Chit or Ekamai bus stations cost around 110 baht, you arrive at Pattaya bus station take a pick up style baht bus into Pattaya ring the bell when you want to get off and give the guy 20 baht (may be more now) as said above lots of cheap guesthouses to stay for around 400-500 baht per night.

Good Luck.

Follow suki's plan and you won't go wrong. Bearing in mind that Pattaya is pretty spread out, it would be good to know where you would like to be near or what your main activities will be since traffic is a disaster and you want to minimise walking or riding in baht buses or with moto taxis.

What's you definition of cheap (cheep)? There's some decent places for minimal budgets as well as some rat-holes for twice as much.

We then went to the torist info and they said we had to book it 3 days in advance and said we need to book our whole month trip with them as we are in peek season and everywhere is full????

Before you do, can you tell us what tourist info desk lied and tried to rip you off? I would like to drop by their desk and see if they can get me a suite at the Belagio in Vegas for Thanksgiving with round-trip First Class air ticket included. While they are getting a woody about all that potential money, I can enquire as to their registration status with TAT (Tourist Authority of Thailand)

Edited by NanLaew

The lady and I had a couple of weeks in Pattaya, came back 2 weeks ago. We got a mini bus from Victory Monument cost 120 bts each and dropped us in Pattaya Central Road, it went on towards the sea front.

Lots of places to stay but the prices are rising as the high season approaches regardless of whether they are full or empty and the nearer the action the more it costs. If you are down the south end Tonys looks good, if you are up the north end have a look at perfect deluxe (not sure if its mansions or apartments) they look good or if you are in the middle try Intown holiday hotel soi 11, looks good.

Like they said just get the bus, no poroblems finding a room from 500B.

Or grab a taxi should be able to agree 1000B inc tolls be in Pattaya in time for lunch.

In fact if you wana meet for a beer later PM me.

Edited by kevkev1888

As everywhere, Baht-buses are waiting for you as the train arrives, no-brainer really. Takes about an hour longer, way better scenery, snacks, toilets, walking and even smoking available if you must, and all for 32 Baht Hualampong -> Pattaya.

As everywhere, Baht-buses are waiting for you as the train arrives, no-brainer really. Takes about an hour longer, way better scenery, snacks, toilets, walking and even smoking available if you must, and all for 32 Baht Hualampong -> Pattaya.

Does it have AC? I've only seen trains here with open windows and bars...but because they are so slow, I haven't really wanted to try one out yet...but I do love trains!

No AC (but plenty of air) in that train, but comfortable seats and you won't be hot unless you usually move from shopping mall to ice cold room by taxi.

Trains are great, as you get to see a lot more than the usual strip of gray asphalt.

No AC (but plenty of air) in that train, but comfortable seats and you won't be hot unless you usually move from shopping mall to ice cold room by taxi.

Trains are great, as you get to see a lot more than the usual strip of gray asphalt.

I also like the train, but how do you propose that you get to the train station for a train at 0655hrs? Not really practical for most, especially if flying in.

'No brainer' is just a silly phrase. How much will the Songthaew charge to take you to your place of abode?

So, inconvenient travel time, relatively long journey and at the mercy of the waiting Songthaew(If you don't agree with the price you are stuck in the middle of nowhere).

Would do it at least once for fun though.

So, inconvenient travel time, relatively long journey and at the mercy of the waiting Songthaew(If you don't agree with the price you are stuck in the middle of nowhere).

Would do it at least once for fun though.

I sniped your quote...sorry...but it sounds like my trans-siberian trip! Inconvenient travel times, extremely long journey and at the mercy of Russian speaking agents...for sure stuck in the middle of nowhere. And of course the smelly Russian soldiers, lousy and expensive food, no showers, really bad toilets, mean train staff...ugh...but it was an adventure!

Actually I've been looking up that trip a few days ago, and maybe even try overland Thailand-Europe with the trans-Siberian line one day...

Anyways, the songthaews are the same as the ones in the bus station, fixed rate into town, like a bus. No need to negotiate / be stuck. Thais also arrive by train.

The Skytrain and Subway open at 6AM, and even from the worst possible station it is easily doable to get to Hualampong railway station by 6:30 - 6:45 which gives you plenty of time to buy a ticket and get on that train.

It is less convenient than begin carried around on a platform by four bearers, I agree. But traveling should be part of the fun, and a train ride certainly is that.

Actually I've been looking up that trip a few days ago, and maybe even try overland Thailand-Europe with the trans-Siberian line one day...

Anyways, the songthaews are the same as the ones in the bus station, fixed rate into town, like a bus. No need to negotiate / be stuck. Thais also arrive by train.

The Skytrain and Subway open at 6AM, and even from the worst possible station it is easily doable to get to Hualampong railway station by 6:30 - 6:45 which gives you plenty of time to buy a ticket and get on that train.

It is less convenient than begin carried around on a platform by four bearers, I agree. But traveling should be part of the fun, and a train ride certainly is that.

I don't think you can go all the way from here to Europe by rail. I think the open spot is Cambodia. But from HCMC, for sure. I've done about 75% of the trip from HCMC Beijing. Then all the way to St. Petersburg. Fantastic trip that I would highly recommend to anybody. Some challenges for sure, but no big deal.

Op, don't listen to TAT or any other type of tourist info as they'll try and ream you. Nowhere is full this time of year and Pattaya is absolutely loaded with places to stay. Just bus it as suggested and then songthaew from the bus station to the beach. For pointers on digs, have a look at Wkitravel's Pattaya page - accommodation towards the bottom. And don't bother with training it down. That route is notoriously slow and only a couple services per day (if that). If you've got time on your hands and don't mind messing about, go for it, but...

/ getting there and away is also on that page (see link) as well as what to do, etc.//

Edited by jackr

But from where. If from the airport, not at all convenient. If from your hotel: getting up at the crack of dawn to do such a journey seems a bit mad; when you can check out at a more leisurely hours and get yourself to the bus station.

Did 3rd class to Ayutthaya once, so not against the wooden bench experience...for short trips. :)

When in Bangkok, go to Ekamai bus station to Pattaya for 1xx Baht. From Suvarnabhumi airport, there are also buses, and a taxi should not cost more than approx. 1200 Baht to Pattaya. No need to book a room in Pattaya in advance at this time of the year: there are many options available at short notice.