Uk Test

The test requirement is from 29th November 2010. So, in theory, if you apply before 29th November you do not need to take the test. Be aware, though, that appointment dates at VFS for submission of an application could be booked up well in advance of the 29th November. If you want to submit a settlement visa application for a spouse or partner I would suggest you do it as soon as possible to make sure you have an application date before the introduction of the test.

Everything is judged based on the date the application was submitted and paid for. So, the new requirement will apply to all applications made on or after 29 November 2010.

Not quite correct, I think. See my post above. You are saying that an application could be made on the 28th November. In theory, yes, but in practice that will be too late to get an appointment slot.

Everything is judged based on the date the application was submitted and paid for. So, the new requirement will apply to all applications made on or after 29 November 2010.

Not quite correct, I think. See my post above. You are saying that an application could be made on the 28th November. In theory, yes, but in practice that will be too late to get an appointment slot.

Please re-read: the date the application was submitted and paid for.

Edited by bangkockney

You seem very defensive in your posts. I am trying to make this clear to the poster, not to you. He asked if this test requirement applies to applications made only after the 29th November. I have tried to inform him that leaving it late to apply may cause the application to fall under the new requirements, and that to be sure of getting an application date before the 29th he should make the application in good time. We can get into the semantics of " applying " if you want, but the poster wants to know how he can avoid the test, I believe, and I am trying to tell him that he must get a submission date ( is that better ? ) for earlier than the 29th.

You seem very defensive in your posts. I am trying to make this clear to the poster, not to you. He asked if this test requirement applies to applications made only after the 29th November. I have tried to inform him that leaving it late to apply may cause the application to fall under the new requirements, and that to be sure of getting an application date before the 29th he should make the application in good time. We can get into the semantics of " applying " if you want, but the poster wants to know how he can avoid the test, I believe, and I am trying to tell him that he must get a submission date ( is that better ? ) for earlier than the 29th.

No, you've simply interpreted a 12 word reply as being defensive. Sorry if short and concise gets your goat.

You assumed the OP wants to avoid the test and have judged my reply to be wrong based on that assumption.

I do not disagree with what you have said about leaving enough time to make an appointment. Common sense really, given one can assume a surge in demand before the new requirement is enforced (as was seen when the use of TOEIC scores under Tier 4 was limited in August). You chose to explain that in great depth and detail, so thank you.

Even if no appointment is booked online, the applicant could turn-up on the 29th as a walk-in. As long as you are there early (no later than 10am on a normal day), you can wait all day and your application will be accepted.

Edited by bangkockney

What is in the test?

It is not any new type of test at all, but a score that must be achieved.

You need to show that you and speak and understand (listening) English at the level of a beginner.

You can sit any one of a number of popular flavours of English test.

What is in the test?

From New English language requirement for partners.

What will you need to do?

If you are not a national of a majority English-speaking country or do not have a degree taught in English you will need to pass an acceptable English language test with one of our approved test providers. Further details of this test can be found in our list of acceptable tests and approved test providers (PDF 144KB opens is a new window).

In the test, you will need to demonstrate a basic command of English (speaking and listening) at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. This is a basic level, which is judged to require 40 to 50 hours' tuition for most learners. Someone assessed at level A1 can understand and use simple, everyday expressions and very basic phrases.

You will not need to demonstrate your reading and writing skills.

When you make your application to us, you will need to provide evidence that you have passed the test.

Bangkokney said :

" Even if no appointment is booked online, the applicant could turn-up on the 29th as a walk-in. As long as you are there early (no later than 10am on a normal day), you can wait all day and your application will be accepted. "

Bangkokney,

Again, sorry, as I think your post above is incorrect. You cannot make a walk-in settlement application. It must be made online. Therefore, my advice to the poster is correct, and he should make an early "application" online.

Edited by VisasPlus

Bangkokney said :

" Even if no appointment is booked online, the applicant could turn-up on the 29th as a walk-in. As long as you are there early (no later than 10am on a normal day), you can wait all day and your application will be accepted. "

Bangkokney,

Again, sorry, as I think your post above is incorrect. You cannot make a walk-in settlement application. It must be made online. Therefore, my advice to the poster is correct, and he should make an early "application" online.

Perhaps there's confusion here because of terminology?

Settlement and dependant applicaitons must complete an online application form. That is to say, their data must be entered online. This has nothing to do with appointment date/time at VFS.

Once the form is completed, the applicant is required to print it. It is at this point that there is a choice between scheduling an appointment date/time online or turning up as a walk-in.

Anyone, apart from groups, can turn up at VFS, join the queue, and be seen on a first come first served basis.

Edited by bangkockney

Bangkokney said :

Bangkokney,

Perhaps there's confusion here because of terminology?

Settlement and dependant applicaitons must complete an online application form. That is to say, their data must be entered online. This has nothing to do with appointment date/time at VFS.

Once the form is completed, the applicant is required to print it. It is at this point that there is a choice between scheduling an appointment date/time online or turning up as a walk-in.

Anyone, apart from groups, can turn up at VFS, join the queue, and be seen on a first come first served basis.

You could well be right. I apologise if I am wrong. I am going to try it out with one of our applicants.