Thailand Not Ready For English As Second Language

webfact

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes qualified teachers. I have one staff who is a UNI grad and she cannot read English and barely speaks it despite several years of English classes apparently. On the other hand, I have another staff, no UNI, and is fluent in both reading and speaking English which he studies on his own.

Who knows though, maybe they should be studying Chinese instead.

Yes agree, it is npot too long before they anyhow have to do that.

They are more or less giving away the country to China in different ways.

Here in isaan most of the shops and enterprices are chinese owned

establishments, and NOBODY mind at all.

Glegolo

I agree 100% that they should have a Sesame Type show on TV ... in fact, they should simply have Sesame Street

Christ! That's all we need... them learning American English! :lol:

Just kidding, my American friends... or am I?! ;)

Well that will add some color to the discussion.

And a few numbers

Seseme street is bought to you today by the :rolleyes: number seven

I agree 100% that they should have a Sesame Type show on TV ... in fact, they should simply have Sesame Street

Christ! That's all we need... them learning American English! :lol:

Just kidding, my American friends... or am I?! ;)

Well that will add some color to the discussion.

And a few numbers

Seseme street is bought to you today by the :rolleyes: number seven

Nothing wrong with Sesame Street. Great entertainment.

Bert and Ernie could become Somchai and Somsak. Kermit the Frog news would put the Nation and the Post to shame most of the time.

How about a TV program which does the same? Since 95% of Thai TV is soaps dealing with screwed up inter-personal crap, also change the venue - to science and nature topics - and keep it simple. For example, a couple of bright young people explaining the solar system: For each sentence uttered, the same in the other language follows immediately. ....could do it for shows on plants, animals, chemistry, geology, archeology, rocketry...

Naw, perhaps smarter to stick with the TV topic that's most popular in Thailand; Emotionally shipwrecked females screaming at each other.

:lol:

Cock on! Although, if they were to add some science 'n nature, they'd immediately be out of business as nobody would watch that slot as it'd be boring, boring, boring. For example, the vast majority of Thais wouldn't even know what a solar system was. I'm sorry to generalise but that's how short-sighted most of our hosts are, and even if they knew we were in one they wouldn't give a shit about it.

Anyhow, forget English as a second language - christ, they can't even get their own right - how about ditching Thai and putting it forward as a first! I mean, Thai is so inefficient and a bugger to learn even for the native nippers. Even when they do learn it, you have the three different dialects: north, south, central and depending where you are and what tongue you're uttering, there's always room for error, coupled with the faux pas of questioning a superior because you didn't understand what they said. Thailand is a hundred years or more behind Singapore and Malaysia in this respect.

I'm teaching English, and the logistical problems are huge. The English programs at school have the same problems as every other program. ...

But we share 4 computers between a staff of over 20 in the English Department.... ...

Facebook is blocked on all school computers which is a pain in the ass because I cannot communicate with my friends who are proffesional teachers in a timely manner ....

<deleted>?

Are you for real? Can you imagine that people learned languages without a computer and the teacher have access to facebook.

OMG. I don't have children. But i read from time to time how foreign parents are worried about the schools here and the teachers. Complains about the Thai teachers, but when i read some words from the foreigners here, posing as 'teacher' and report their little issues and silly opinions i would as parents worried about these farangs teachers if not even more. They are definitely equally NOT QUALIFIED.

For the idea that there should be English learning shows on TV. These shows already exist. Also on the trashy channels that have these soaps. More than a few of them. No idea how efficient they are, but they are not boring lessons but some kind of game shows or otherwise entertaining and send out the message learning English and speaking English is fun and cool.

And the kids should probably also learn some Chinese with a focus on the future. Or some other Asian or European languages, that might be pay as well if not even better.

In Laos you can met people who speak Russian, the middle aged generation. hehe.

Chinese is a better 2nd language for Thailand.

Chin has a stronger economy than the US, does more business with Thailand than the US does, and China will be the sole economic superpower in 20 years.

my kid is learning Thai, English and Chinese.

Regardless of the strength of the US or Chinese economies, Chinese will never overtake English as the world's second language.

It has a big disadvantage over the majority of the world's languages; it doesn't use the Roman alphabet.

Thais already have a unique alphabet; to foist another one on them seems a bit unfair.

An alternative to either Chinese or English would be Spanish. It's much easier to learn than English and would give any speaker an advantage in trade with most of Central and South America.

IMHO

Chin has a stronger economy than the US, does more business with Thailand than the US does, and China will be the sole economic superpower in 20 years.

Regardless of the strength of the US or Chinese economies, Chinese will never overtake English as the world's second language.

It has a big disadvantage over the majority of the world's languages; it doesn't use the Roman alphabet.

Thais already have a unique alphabet; to foist another one on them seems a bit unfair.

An alternative to either Chinese or English would be Spanish. It's much easier to learn than English and would give any speaker an advantage in trade with most of Central and South America.

IMHO

Oh yee of little faith. That is why the Chinese invented pinyin. A nationwide, phonetic, romanised alphabet system that the vast majority of all 7 year olds in China are learning, to allow them to quickly pick up the Roman alpahbet. They will be pumping out millions of bilingual kids in the next 10 years.

Thailand meanwhile, is still deciding how many different ways they would like to spell Ekaamai.

...For example, a couple of bright young people explaining the solar system...

Cock on! Although, if they were to add some science 'n nature, they'd immediately be out of business as nobody would watch that slot as it'd be boring, boring, boring. For example, the vast majority of Thais wouldn't even know what a solar system was...

True story... ask a Thai the word(s) for Earth. They are taught that the planet Earth is a star!

Now, I consider myself lucky. My wife speaks, reads, and writes exceptional English, which for the most part was self-taught. She is also, in Thai terms, fairly well educated and open-minded, but it took me hours to explain to her the difference between a planet, a moon, and a star, and YEARS to convince her a tiger is a cat! :huh:

Thai TV and their education system just fills their brains with mush! I wholeheartedly believe it's to keep them at a low enough level of education to not question anyone in authority. Sad, but true.

Even sadder, is the fact that Thais certainly have an aptitude for learning if someone encourages them. I speak a little Thai, enough to communicate well, eat, drink, and have fun when out and about with friends, but the level of self-taught English spoken by some of the girls I've met in the past (both in tourist areas and working for companies I have dealt with) is astounding. While they certainly seem to lack any semblance of common sense, they most definitely aren't incapable of excellent language skills given the tuition and most importantly, the encouragement.

Their whole system saddens me. Many of the girls I know have university degrees, and I would rate their level of education below that of most UK high school children. Certainly of those in the Community College in East Devon where I worked a few years ago.

One afternoon a new 14 year old student was brought to my office. She was Thai, and looked like the proverbial stunned deer in car headlights as she spoke absolutely zero English. Being able to speak to her a little in Thai was the first shock (for both her, and her support teacher!), but more of a shock to her was that the Principal agreed to employ my wife for a while as a translator and teaching support to help her settle in and begin learning in English classes -- a level of support a student could never imagine happening within Thailand, I am sure. She is now enrolled in Exeter college, and demonstrates their capacity for learning given the chance.

IMHO

Don't underestimate what Chinese language skills would give you. It's disadvantage "it doesn't use the Roman alphabet." is the biggest advantage. You can read those sign what the English language learner can't. On the English speaking market there is competition from all over the world. Not so on the Chinese market and its a huge market.

That doesn't mean that it should become the official 2nd language in Thailand but if you are learning Chinese that can give you a big plus in the future over your peers.

What Thailand doesn't need is English as a 2nd official language. And for the school education. It isn't done with English only. Chinese or other languages should be offered as 2nd or 3rd choice at the schools. That is the way to get educated foreign language speaker and build up some synapse connection that makes you brainy and open the path for higher education. Just the ability to speak another language makes you smarter, it hasn't to be English first.

And what the schools don't need are some foreigner teaching the language with the only qualification they have is to be a native speaker. Than better to have a real teacher with bad bad pronunciation skills.

Yes qualified teachers. I have one staff who is a UNI grad and she cannot read English and barely speaks it despite several years of English classes apparently. On the other hand, I have another staff, no UNI, and is fluent in both reading and speaking English which he studies on his own.

Are you trying to say that the bar girls speak better English (& German, & Russian, & Arabic, etc) than the UNI grads?

In a word - Yes !

I say that as a former teacher at one of the country's top ten universities, and a former regular drinker.

However, that's not excluding the possibility that the bar girls were also uni students.

Are you trying to say that the bar girls speak better English (& German, & Russian, & Arabic, etc) than the UNI grads?

In a word - Yes !

I say that as a former teacher at one of the country's top ten universities, and a former regular drinker.

However, that's not excluding the possibility that the bar girls were also uni students.

You can speak German, Russian & Arabic?

...For example, a couple of bright young people explaining the solar system...

Cock on! Although, if they were to add some science 'n nature, they'd immediately be out of business as nobody would watch that slot as it'd be boring, boring, boring. For example, the vast majority of Thais wouldn't even know what a solar system was...

True story... ask a Thai the word(s) for Earth. They are taught that the planet Earth is a star!

Now, I consider myself lucky. My wife speaks, reads, and writes exceptional English, which for the most part was self-taught. She is also, in Thai terms, fairly well educated and open-minded, but it took me hours to explain to her the difference between a planet, a moon, and a star, and YEARS to convince her a tiger is a cat! :huh:

Thai TV and their education system just fills their brains with mush! I wholeheartedly believe it's to keep them at a low enough level of education to not question anyone in authority. Sad, but true.

Even sadder, is the fact that Thais certainly have an aptitude for learning if someone encourages them. I speak a little Thai, enough to communicate well, eat, drink, and have fun when out and about with friends, but the level of self-taught English spoken by some of the girls I've met in the past (both in tourist areas and working for companies I have dealt with) is astounding. While they certainly seem to lack any semblance of common sense, they most definitely aren't incapable of excellent language skills given the tuition and most importantly, the encouragement.

Their whole system saddens me. Many of the girls I know have university degrees, and I would rate their level of education below that of most UK high school children. Certainly of those in the Community College in East Devon where I worked a few years ago.

One afternoon a new 14 year old student was brought to my office. She was Thai, and looked like the proverbial stunned deer in car headlights as she spoke absolutely zero English. Being able to speak to her a little in Thai was the first shock (for both her, and her support teacher!), but more of a shock to her was that the Principal agreed to employ my wife for a while as a translator and teaching support to help her settle in and begin learning in English classes -- a level of support a student could never imagine happening within Thailand, I am sure. She is now enrolled in Exeter college, and demonstrates their capacity for learning given the chance.

AND OH SO EASILY DONE.

It never ceases to amaze me, the discrimination afforded a girl just because she works in a bar. :angry:

I know a uni graduate that works in a Pattaya gogo that can earn more only dancing and with tips than she was able to earn in a "respectable" job in Udon, even given her degree. She has a long-term boyfriend, doesn't go with customers, and has her wages cut every month because she doesn't meet a "quota" set by the management, yet she still earns more than she can back home. She supports her mother and father, her 4 year-old son, and her grandmother. Her brother works in Korea, and also helps.There isn't a glut of work for someone just because they have a degree, as is the case in the UK and I suspect many other countries at the moment. Even those with an education behind them in Thailand often still come from poor families that have borrowed money in the hope of a better future. It just doesn't work out that way for them all.

Do you discriminate when you see a college or uni student, or even graduate working in a bar or restaurant in your own country? I have a friend who is a pilot for BA. When he completed his training there were no positions available for him, so he took work for 9 months as cabin crew. Was he a lesser person for working in the service industry, or a greater person for taking a job below his level of education and training?

Sorry to be so vociferous this morning, but just had to add something about TV:

When I interact with a Thai who wants to improve their English, I'll say a phrase in Thai and immediately say the same in English. It sometimes happens the other way: first say it in English, then the same in Thai.

How about a TV program which does the same? Since 95% of Thai TV is soaps dealing with screwed up inter-personal crap, also change the venue - to science and nature topics - and keep it simple. For example, a couple of bright young people explaining the solar system: For each sentence uttered, the same in the other language follows immediately. ....could do it for shows on plants, animals, chemistry, geology, archeology, rocketry...

Naw, perhaps smarter to stick with the TV topic that's most popular in Thailand; Emotionally shipwrecked females screaming at each other.

But in terms of making it sound easy ... English is a very complicated language as compared to Thai in many respects .. except for the tones. I for one am very impressed with the Thais who have little education and can communicate in English as well as they do.

Glad i don't speak Amrican

Sorry to be so vociferous this morning, but just had to add something about TV:

When I interact with a Thai who wants to improve their English, I'll say a phrase in Thai and immediately say the same in English. It sometimes happens the other way: first say it in English, then the same in Thai.

But in terms of making it sound easy ... English is a very complicated language as compared to Thai in many respects .. except for the tones. I for one am very impressed with the Thais who have little education and can communicate in English as well as they do.

Glad i don't speak Amrican

I am surprised that the Amrican/American speaker think that English is much more complicated as Thai. And they probably just managed to learn English and don't speak much Thai at all and not enough to make such a statement.

I am still impressed that some of these Amrican/American speakers who have little education can communicate with others, even if it don't make much sense what they say or is not based on any logic or knowledge. ;-)

This is one of the funniest statements government has made lately.

In Thailand even doctors and lawyers hardly speak English and they want to make it second language?! LMAO-WHAT A JOKE.

In banks, corporations, business-hardly any senior managers speak any English and those are with extremly good education and background

English is the easiest language in the world and yet 99.9% of the locals can not string few words together.

The ones that do, just butcher the language.

For example, can anyone explain to me how the following works

"My friend you" or My dog you"

In Thai, assuming they are translating word for word, it would be "puan kong khun" or "maa kong khun" which word for word is "friend of you" or "dog of you" So how the hel_l do some arrive at "my friend you"??

To further add, one of my Thai teachers at school who supposedly studied in UK, can nto even explain the different between what and which, while the other one studied in Singapore( and correct me if i am wrong but English is the language used at uni) and she does not know what break up means.

English being the easiest language is obviously an opinion but we are not talking about learning a language. We are talking about learning a second language and this is all relevant to the native language of the student. An English speaking person learning Spanish would find it much easier than learning Thai. But the same could not be said about a Thai learning Spanish.

The Thai language is much different than English from tones, sentence structure, plurals, pronouns (use and amount), tonal language, having to learn different sound pronunciations not in the Thai (or Asian) languages as well as the numerous few letters that can be added to a word to make a different word including future and past tense which doesn't exist as a general rule in Thai language.

Very few of the expats living in Thailand can speak Thai as conversationally let alone at the level most Thais can in the populated areas. Consider too what the times were like when most of these Thais grew up and had to leave school early for economic reasons. In fact, I believe Thais are still only guaranteed an education in "public" schools to the 8th grade.

I also think many Thais learn English to the level they need. A person in Udon may not need to know English but a working girl in a BKK bar needs to know "where are you from?", "how long you here? and so on (all her conversations are usually the same). However, if you look at a well traveled businessman in Thailand, chances are they speak English well because of how much they have heard and practiced using English. The official language of Thailand is Thai and it seems odd to make fun of Thais because many speak broken English.

I find the level of English in BKK significantly better than that of most Mexicans who come to the USA or those living right on the other side of the border of the USA.

On a final note .. I am impressed by most people who can speak multiple languages. I have never found it easy. Many Thai bar girls you meet in BKK can communicate in 3-different languages since they come from the north or south where they were brought up speaking either Sow or Issan which is not the same as standard/central Thai.

Edited by jcbangkok

Interesting ...

The Foreign Service Institute (FSI), the US Federal Government's primary training institution for officers and support personnel of the U.S. foreign affairscommunity, believes that for a native English speaker, Arabic, Cantonese,Mandarin, Japanese and Korean are the world's most difficult languages. According to their finding,people usually spent the longest time (88 weeks/2200 class hours in average)learning them in order to gain proficiency.

However these finding won't have much effect onBritish nationals it seems considering that they don't much care about learninga foreign language. A recent British survey shows, only one in 10 UK workers could speak aforeign language. Less than 5% could count to 20 in a second language, 80% saidthey could work abroad anyway, because "everyone speaks English"!

Edited by jcbangkok

In Thailand even doctors and lawyers hardly speak English and they want to make it second language?! LMAO-WHAT A JOKE.

In banks, corporations, business-hardly any senior managers speak any English and those are with extremly good education and background

English is the easiest language in the world and yet 99.9% of the locals can not string few words together.

In Thai, assuming they are translating word for word, it would be "puan kong khun" or "maa kong khun" which word for word is "friend of you" or "dog of you" So how the hel_l do some arrive at "my friend you"??

To further add, one of my Thai teachers at school who supposedly studied in UK, can nto even explain the different between what and which, while the other one studied in Singapore( and correct me if i am wrong but English is the language used at uni) and she does not know what break up means.

Judging by your post.......... it isn't that easy. :whistling:

Judging by your post.......... it isn't that easy. :whistling:

I would also challenge the poster to find many Thais who believe English is easier to learn that Thai ... it is all relevant.

Farangs who marry 'thai" speak provincial isan dailects not Thai. POK POK!!!! sep-ili

Errrrrrr maybe for you. How can you generalise like that?

My wife is from Bangkok. I speak Thai in the Bangkokian dialect.

No 'Isan' about it.

He's barking up the wrong tree mate

He's from farangland, they're all the same. Marry an Isan girl init? :rolleyes:

Back on topic:

Chinese people are learning English, it's mandatory!

Three languages dominate the world of the 21st Century, Chinese (Mandarin), English and Spanish

Interesting ...

The Foreign Service Institute (FSI), the US Federal Government's primary training institution for officers and support personnel of the U.S. foreign affairs community, believes that for a native English speaker, Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese and Korean are the world's most difficult languages. According to their finding, people usually spent the longest time (88 weeks/2200 class hours in average) learning them in order to gain proficiency.<br style="list-style-type: none; list-style-position: initial; list-style-image: initial; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><br style="list-style-type: none; list-style-position: initial; list-style-image: initial; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">However these finding won't have much effect on British nationals it seems considering that they don't much care about learning a foreign language. A recent British survey shows, only one in 10 UK workers could speak a foreign language. Less than 5% could count to 20 in a second language, 80% said they could work abroad anyway, because "everyone speaks English"!.

Yep, that is the point, uneducated English native speakers can only speak one language, almost all of them. Ignorant poor people , missing so much, understand so little. One dimensional 'thinker'. You can spot them here in this topic.

from your article: "only one in 10 UK workers could speak a foreign language. Less than 5% could count to 20 in a second language"

mean 10% speak a foreign language, but only 5% can count until 20 in that language??? odd.

Anyway, as i said it before, what counts is that you learn at least a second language, that helps you to become smart and think in more paths, different ways, makes you more able to use brain power for problem solving. That second language don't have to be necessary English first, a lot of other languages will be good to. so in the Thai education system they should introduce a second language as obligatory for the kids to learn. and offer them a choice between different languages. Our just let it be in one school Chinese and in the other English. If you go for higher education a third language should come anyway.

Land of dreamers and promises. Even by 2015 do you think anything's gonna be any different. I've taught in Thai schools - even a good private Catholic one - and hey, only 50 kids to a room ! You can really teach alot in that time. The whole system is set up to quash real learning and application of knowledge. It was killing my soul. I tried. I fought the system and made the best difference I could, but oh my !

Keep dreaming Thailand ! For some reason your neighbors all around you are producing fluent ESL speakers while you wallow and mince words and argue semantics, and explain and posit and redraft, and prepare materials, and plan to make a plan of how you might and probably should if it's possible, get on the English train.

I love this country, but it only took a few months deep in the heart of Thai institutional learning to see more than enough to disturb me about the system. The rose-colored glasses are tinged.

I don't agree with the posts that argue that up-country Thais need to learn Thai, because they already know it- to a greater or lesser degree- regardless of any Westerner's particular situation. I DO argue, though, that they need to learn the basic subjects first in Thai, before even considering more advanced subjects to be taught in English, which is the case in many countries. This has nothing to do with English as an official or unofficial second language, which is ridiculous. Phillippines, Malaysia, and Singapore speak English because they were colonies. Aside from pathetic Madagascar, I don't believe any country has ever simply declared English to be an official language, even though hardly anyone speaks it. Thailand doesn't need such pretentious idiocy to cure their education ills. Kids need to crack the books. There are no short cuts. English is NOT the world's easiest language. That myth exacerbates the problem, leading people to think that it can somehow be absorbed, in the bedroom or elsewhere. You gotta' study, just like any other language.

Land of dreamers and promises. Even by 2015 do you think anything's gonna be any different. I've taught in Thai schools - even a good private Catholic one - and hey, only 50 kids to a room ! You can really teach alot in that time. The whole system is set up to quash real learning and application of knowledge. It was killing my soul. I tried. I fought the system and made the best difference I could, but oh my !

Keep dreaming Thailand ! For some reason your neighbors all around you are producing fluent ESL speakers while you wallow and mince words and argue semantics, and explain and posit and redraft, and prepare materials, and plan to make a plan of how you might and probably should if it's possible, get on the English train.

I love this country, but it only took a few months deep in the heart of Thai institutional learning to see more than enough to disturb me about the system. The rose-colored glasses are tinged.

I wasn't aware Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos were putting out more English speakers than Thailand. wink.gif

Thailand is not Japan or China and is closer to being like their actual neighbors above in terms of modernization than Japan or China .. but it is getting there and is ahead of its actual neighbors in my humble opinion.

**Edit: Malaysia may be ahead but as a poster mentioned above, it was a colony. And as for Singapore .. isn't English the official language and not a 2nd?

Edited by jcbangkok

Not sure of all western nationalities but I find it funny (sad) so many Americans get so upset that many folks come to the US for prolonged periods and don't learn English well. "If they are going to be here then they should learn the official language!", they say. Then they go to other countries and are upset that the locals don't speak English better even though it is not the official language of that country.