Sony Viao V Ibm Think Pad

russianrobert

I need to buy a new Lap Top and have my eye on two options. The Sony Viao and the IBM Think Pad.

I like both companies and have hear good things about both lap tops but maybe people here have experience (good or bad) on both?

I am a regular user, no special requirements when it comes to specifications. I do need something that will last however.

Any recomendations or advice either way will be gratefully received.

Cheers

I bought a Vaio in 2003 and it is still going strong. Had a hard disk crash a couple of years back so I replaced it, dirt cheap nowadays. No problems besides that, other than its age is showing with new hardware and software designed for the latest processors etc etc.

I have just switched to a desktop because I wanted 2 large screens and a faster processor with more memory, something that better suits my needs today, but I am still using the Vaio on the side for other stuff.

Which reminds me, before I decided to get a new desktop, I looked into the cost of upgrading the RAM of the Vaio - 512Mb module was 10K baht and 1Gb module 20K baht. Stunned silence and then the Sony chap said prices are high because these are older generation memory modules which cost a lot more to make back then (apparently current generation memory modules are a lot cheaper). Whether true or simply jacking up the price because of holding stock of obsolete parts I don't know. Anyway, lesson I learned from that was to do the RAM upgrade at the time of purchase, which is exactly what I did with the desktop.

Cheers.

I bought a Vaio in 2003 and it is still going strong. Had a hard disk crash a couple of years back so I replaced it, dirt cheap nowadays. No problems besides that, other than its age is showing with new hardware and software designed for the latest processors etc etc.

I have just switched to a desktop because I wanted 2 large screens and a faster processor with more memory, something that better suits my needs today, but I am still using the Vaio on the side for other stuff.

Which reminds me, before I decided to get a new desktop, I looked into the cost of upgrading the RAM of the Vaio - 512Mb module was 10K baht and 1Gb module 20K baht. Stunned silence and then the Sony chap said prices are high because these are older generation memory modules which cost a lot more to make back then (apparently current generation memory modules are a lot cheaper). Whether true or simply jacking up the price because of holding stock of obsolete parts I don't know. Anyway, lesson I learned from that was to do the RAM upgrade at the time of purchase, which is exactly what I did with the desktop.

Cheers.

Good point about the RAM. Something i was thinking about but i thought that recent models all have enough memory already loaded, What RAM should i be looking for considering i'm a 'normal' user.

Storage space is another issue but it think 160 GB nowadays is the norm and would be enough for me. Besides external drives are not expensive these days.

Microsoft recommend 1 Gb RAM for Win 7 32 bit and 2 Gb for 64 bit. I'm no expert but I would take these as minimum standards, as with more RAM applications can run faster and multi-tasking goes better too.

MS states limits for Win 7 32 bit at 4Gb RAM and for more than that you would need 64 bit.

How much RAM and how much hard disk space do you need? The simple answer is probably more than you think you do now. Leaving aside cloud computing, you can expect programmes to steadily require more memory to run efficiently, as the tendency is to build in more bells and whistles (and useful stuff) with each new release. Also, your needs might change.

I am keeping in mind you mentioned you want a computer that lasts, so future needs matter. I started out needing to run large Excel spreadsheets and Win XP with 512Mb was good enough. Some years later I started digital photography and even with Photoshop Elements, editing was painfully slow. Now I typically have 2 or 3 large spreadsheets open, 2 browsers (some websites are designed for Explorer, but I prefer Firefox) and a couple of other programmes I use regularly. So I am running Win 7 64 bit and I loaded the desktop with the maximum RAM it has slots for, ie 4 x 2Gb modules. I could have gone for 4 x 4Gb modules, but I didn't and I hope that it was not a mistake. Time will tell.

Like you, I keep my machines for as long as possible and I reckon more 64 bit software and more bells and whistles are a given, so I try to prepare for it.

As for Hard Disks, I have 1Tb in the desktop. I also have a 500Gb external drive that I use to backup the laptop, but I will have to clean out the junk on it - photos and music have a way of accumulating.

Cheers.

Which models, specifically, are you looking at?

I'm looking to replace an older Thinkpad T41 so am looking at 14" suppliers: Thinkpad, Sony and Toshiba. (This is my 3rd Thinkpad over 12+ years; I have never, ever had a problem with any of these.)

If buying in Thailand then it seems like you get ~ 15% more value with the Sony. If buying in the U.S.A. then its a lot closer. I'm leaning towards buying a Thinkpad (T410: i5-520M) in the U.S. as the warranty options are better, and prices are 30% less.

Edited by lomatopo

I am swearing by Thinkpads. I have used them for many years and keep buying them.

Currently a T60P and a T61p with extra high resolution screens (p).

I run 1920x1200 on my T61p :D

512MB videocard (yes a separate NVidia videocard built in)

7200rpm hard drive

3GB RAM

1GB Intel turbo memory between HDD and cpu

Intel Vpro chip core2duo 2.4 Ghz

Win7 64-bit

runs smooth, always has, always will.

Edited by wehugheog