Dream Job In Bkk

I'm looking for a mid-level but experienced marketing person to be my 2ic across the Asia Pacific region. I work in a big law firm and am responsible for marketing throughout asia . .i need a number 2 as my current person is moving to London.

I want the role relocated from HK to Bangkok because that's where I'm based. My worry is it might be hard to find the right type of person here:

What do I need:

- Marketing experience, preferably in a professional services environment

- Excellent English language skills, and I mean excellent. Native quality, even if the candidate is a thai.

- Writing skills

- Analytical skills and strategic thinking

- The ability to influence people (including senior law firm partners from other cultures)

- common sense

- the flexibility to travel all across Asia as required (usually once a month)

- the ability to manage and motivate your own team of subordinates (again spread across various offices in asia)

- an understanding of big business in Asia.

This is a fantastic job for the right person. Expat, Thai . . . I don't care. We're just looking for the right person.

In return the successful candidate will be on 120-150k a month, plus bonus. And, of course there's a work permit if you need one?

Anyone know of anyone who might be interested? I'll be talking to recruitment companies also - does anyone have any recommendations for good ones?

Happy to hear if you think this is mission impossible.

I'm looking for a mid-level but experienced marketing person to be my 2ic across the Asia Pacific region.  I work in a big law firm and am responsible for marketing throughout asia . .i need a number 2 as my current person is moving to London.

I want the role relocated from HK to Bangkok because that's where I'm based.  My worry is it might be hard to find the right type of person here:

What do I need:

- Marketing experience, preferably in a professional services environment

- Excellent English language skills, and I mean excellent. Native quality, even if the candidate is a thai.

- Writing skills

- Analytical skills and strategic thinking

- The ability to influence people (including senior law firm partners from other cultures)

- common sense

- the flexibility to travel all across Asia as required (usually once a month)

- the ability to manage and motivate your own team of subordinates (again spread across various offices in asia)

- an understanding of big business in Asia.

This is a fantastic job for the right person.  Expat, Thai . . . I don't care.  We're just looking for the right person.

In return the successful candidate will be on 120-150k a month, plus bonus.  And, of course there's a work permit if you need one?

Anyone know of anyone who might be interested?  I'll be talking to recruitment companies also - does anyone have any recommendations for good ones?

Happy to hear if you think this is mission impossible.

Hi Bendix

I would like to know the qualification required in order to apply as I'm based In Thailand working presently for a Travel Company on a Temp basis as the Overseas Manager ,Marketing the company to South Africa and Middle East......which is doing pretty good right now. I'm looking for some thing much challenging....as I was previously with two International Airlines within the Sales Dept based In Southern Africa and Dubai..........I am a native English speaker in addition I speak Afrikaans so now you know were I'm from.

I possess a high level of communication verbal and written skill.

How would I be able to forwarded for you a copy of my resume.

Regards Mervyn

no need to be a lawyer no . . . . . just need to be 'savvy' enough to know the role of lawyers in the corporate world. And I'm not talking about the visa lawyers, divorce lawyers or guys helping to get work permits . . . I'm talking about lawyers advising big corporates on things like mergers & acquisitions, intellectual property, contracts etc etc.

not sure what one poster means by qualifications. I think i've covered that in my OP. Degree; english language skills, strategic thinking, common sense etc.

cheers guys.

Hi Bendix

I would like to know the qualification required in order to apply as I'm based In Thailand working presently for a Travel Company on a Temp basis as the Overseas Manager ,Marketing the company to South Africa and Middle East......which is doing pretty good right now. I'm looking for some thing much challenging....as I was previously with two International Airlines within the Sales Dept based In Southern Africa and Dubai..........I am a native English speaker in addition I speak Afrikaans so now you know were I'm from.

I possess a high level of communication verbal and written skill.

How would I be able to forwarded for you a copy of my resume.

Regards Mervyn

Hurry up and re-write your response; check for spelling errors before you re-submit. Do this before he gets back! :o

seriously arisara, i have a hard time believing you are a native speaker

A few gramatical errors on a webboard.. plenty of 'native' english speakers make mistakes here all the time.

I'm taking a punt and guessing that Arisara is a South Aftican with an Afrikaans background. They speak English perfectly well, with an pretty cool accent too.

Its a bit like working with a Scandanavian. English could easily be their first language (if it isn't already).

Just gotta know that the love a Brai, and not a BBQ

My apologies. You're right. I didnt mention educational qualifications in my OP. While EQ is more important than IQ, it would be tough to get credibility in an environment like a law firm unless you have a degree. I don't mind, but the ultimate people the role needs to impress - partners in a law firm - seem to take this kind of thing seriously.

As for which firm it is . . happy to reveal that in PM but let's face it - there arent that many big firms operating here so take a good guess.

Apologies to those who have already PM'd me. Will try to look at them in detail by end of the week.

Harmonica

Do you always speak like the musical instrument you name yourself after

You should try playing another tune, note much Harmonica lover's her In Thailand now that's contractive criticism.

:o

OK then Arisara, here's another tune, albeit a notch or two above that of the previous one:

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going because you might not get there!"

:D

No, not too late. Am just at the 'working out what I'm gonna do stage.'

Thanks to all those who have sent me a PM. For some reason, I can't work out how to reply to you, so if people are interested could they contact me directly on my work email ******

Thanks all.

• 2 months later...

I worked for the Advertising and Public Affiars (A&PA) section for the US Army, Los Angeles Recruiting Battalion. They had me making websites (I wasn't very good at this), newsletters, branding, working with the budget, doing followups of money spent on advertising to contracts produced, and what ever else crazy they could think of.

Advertising is a very demanding job; however, with a great product and large enough budget it could be a lot of fun. Large budgets seem to help with the branding of the product. I did this job for about 1.5 years.

If the budget is too small, the person has to be very creative because the branding of the product will be on a smaller scale.

The individual army recruiter usually did small scale advertising for the zip codes in his responsibility.

Recruiters worked longer hours to get their 2 contracts every month. I did recruiting for 2.5 years and don't wish that job on anyone. It's a very stressful job and some DA select recruiters would rather be in Iraq being shot at than doing recruiting duty.

Imagine trying to sell the army to kids from Hollywood or gang bangers from East LA.

After working as a recruiter and then in the A&PA section, I decided to move to Thailand.

Advertising and marketing is fun if your like the fast paced world. You get to meet tons of people and go to all sorts of events.

My hats off to anyone who is an advertiser. It's a very stressful job at times but it can be very rewarding. Good luck to those in the business. I don't think I will ever get involved in advertising again. I enjoy too much watching the grass grow. :o

Edited by richard10365

Are you talking about $ or £ ?

Blondino,

I believe the currency here is the good old Thai baht.

For the criticising members - Arisara made the mistake of exposing himself in this forum, instead of sending a PM, which automatically means getting flamed by anonymous members who do not bother to be as open as himself. I think it is more honorable to allow the OP to judge by himself whether his applicants are suitable for the job or not.

In return the successful candidate will be on 120-150k a month, plus bonus.

Are you talking about $ or £ ?

Regards

blondino only my 2 Bahts worth but if you need to ask a question of this nature please don't apply.

To support my post please do some maths eg: 120,000 Aust x 30 per baht per dollar = 3,600,000 baht per month > that figure if you use American or UK rates.

This is an advertisement for a position in Thailand (maybe ?) not an invitation to become an instant millionaire.

While EQ is more important than IQ, it would be tough to get credibility in an environment like a law firm unless you have a degree.  I don't mind, but the ultimate people the role needs to impress - partners in a law firm - seem to take this kind of thing seriously.

:o This is the same thing you hear the world over. Every company has the same requirement and a person having a degree shoudl not mean anything. It certainly doesn't automatically make them smart or the best person for the job. Even if you have another person a lot more qualified but doesn't have a degree, that person will be overlooked in favor of a person that does have one, even though that guy might be a complete moron. It's never going to change but the corporate world is simply asinine.

Mijan24 - ever heard of sarcasm???  No, maybe not ... :D

Simon43 Unusual as it may seem "Yes"

It comes down to a twofold view of things-a literal meaning and a different intention. or as applied to people or a remark, suggests a cruel and taunting ridicule.

I also refer to the fact that Irony is sometimes confused with sarcasm. Certainly irony is a major weapon in the armoury of sarcasm, but it does not have to be biting in the way that sarcasm does.

Irony comes from a Greek word meaning 'pretended ignorance'.

Sarcasm goes back to the Greek verb sarkazein, literally"to tear the flesh" hence to bite one's lip in rage" or to speak bitterly.

I perceive from your reference to "sarcasm" you seem to think that blondino post was sarcasm - and you may well be 100% correct or conversley you may well be 100% incorrect we will never know until blondino reveals (only if he/she wishes) if the intent was to be sarcastic or was the post just his/her way of ironic humour.

Or maybe it was just a genuine question!!

Now you asked about sarcasm:

Congratulations to someone who has dropped a plate - would be a "sarcastic" remark -

The following:"One couldn't help feeling that many were as interested in the treasures they guard as a teetotalller is in the Oktoberfest" would be another example of sarcasm.

On the other hand irony being the vehicle or converyor of amused mockery or banter:

Dr Patpong is going to be married, but it is a great secret and only known to half of the TV members, so you must not mention it. This is ironic humour considering Dr P's age and the vast audience that TV attracts on an hourly basis. :o

I hope this has clarified my view of "sarcasm" and helped you to interpret the subtle difference between sarcasm and irony for your next foray into the wonderful maize of the English Language. :D

We could even ask the question is the OP genuine or being ironic/sarcastic initiating such a post, he/she certainly has some people jumping - hope it pans out well for the successful applicants.

Edited by mijan24

Mijan24 - ever heard of sarcasm???  No, maybe not ... :D

Simon43 was actually tninking of asking your post be transferred to the jokes thread as it did not relate to the original topic at all, then I remembered Sarcasm is known as the lowest form of wit - so better to leave well enough alone. :o

This seems to be a wind-up - the guy offering it cant even be fagged to reply. Horny title to get folks excited then turns out there is no 'real' job on offer. Intl law firms dont advertise positions on blogs like this.

With all due respect (you idiot), this wasnt a windup. I just prefer to talk to people interested in the role in private or in person. . . it's not a great idea to discuss such things online, don't you think?

Not that I need to explain myself to you, but numerous people emailed me and got a response. I met several of them, and the position is now filled.

OK?

True enough, I met with Mr. Bendix regarding this position. The receptionists knew him and he was able to procure a conference room at the Baker & McKenzie offices, so unless there was some extreme "Catch Me If You Can" going on, it was legit.

The outcome wasn't quite what I'd hoped for however.

As an aside, any help with that other gig Kevin? Sort me out man!

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect (you idiot), this wasnt a windup. I just prefer to talk to people interested in the role in private or in person. . . it's not a great idea to discuss such things online, don't you think?

Not that I need to explain myself to you, but numerous people emailed me and got a response. I met several of them, and the position is now filled.

OK?

Bendix, it is interesting you posted the job on the Board, did you actually fill it with one of the people who responded from here?

Also given you posted it here, it would have been good to have quickly posted when it was filled, so the people who replied (or were considering replying) could have quickly known the outcome. It would also have been in your self interest as your company name (& indeed yours) have become public knowledge as a result of the thread continuing - something I am sure you did not want. Cheers, Harry.

No, not filled from here unfortunately, but spoke with several good people from here and one or two of them are pursuing other opportunities within the firm (but not in my sphere of influence).

Have absolutely no problem with posting the job application here. I wanted an expat professional for the role; Thailand's leading expat web forum seemed a good place as any to start the search.