Market Selling Motorbikes Near Rimping

CMExpat79

I am looking to buy a cheap 2nd hike scooter, and I heard that there is a good market near Rimping every Sunday....does anyone have any specific info on this as I can never find it :)

Is it at the Rimping Supermarket where Mee Chok Plaza is? and what time does it start etc? is it outside the supermarket etc...sorry maybe every sunday I am having a blonde moment but I cant find the ruddy place hhaha

Thanks

Hi

Can't help with the 2nd hike, but can offer directions for a 2nd bike.

The general location is indeed Rimping @ Mee Choke Plaza at the junction of the Central Ring Road and the Mae Jo road. The only clock tower in Chiang Mai (tho someone will doubtless correct me on that).

Head slowly towards Mae Jo with the ring road behind you, passing the entrance to Mee Choke on your left. In 30m, take the very next entrance on your left (narrow, easy to miss). This is Ruam Choke Market.

Go straight ahead, pass the grotty office of the so-called "lawyer" on the right, and the big covered area next on the right is the place to be. Saturday mornings.

Happy hunting.

Hi

The general location is indeed Rimping @ Mee Choke Plaza at the junction of the Central Ring Road and the Mae Jo road. The only clock tower in Chiang Mai (tho someone will doubtless correct me on that).

Head slowly towards Mae Jo with the ring road behind you, passing the entrance to Mee Choke on your left. In 30m, take the very next entrance on your left (narrow, easy to miss). This is Ruam Choke Market.

Go straight ahead, pass the grotty office of the so-called "lawyer" on the right, and the big covered area next on the right is the place to be. Saturday mornings.

Happy hunting.

Can not say clock tower any more as it has gone by by. Might come back as a born again.

Wonderfull thanks so much! may I ask what time this usually starts?

I will be taking my boyfriend with me who is a bit of a petrol head so he will be doing the 'choosing' and making sure the bike is legit and with paperwork etc :)

Thanks again

Just remembered that there is also a motorbike market in San Pa Tong north of Hangdong every Saturday

Wonderfull thanks so much! may I ask what time this usually starts?

I will be taking my boyfriend with me who is a bit of a petrol head so he will be doing the 'choosing' and making sure the bike is legit and with paperwork etc :)

Thanks again

Just remembered that there is also a motorbike market in San Pa Tong north of Hangdong every Saturday

Correct, except that Sanpatong is very much south of Hang Dong. And, sorry, don't know when these markets start but, as ever in Thailand, go early for the best choice!

Hi

Happy hunting.

turn left just before 7/11

The"Rimping" bike market on Saturday has more bikes after 12:30. I think it was Sarahsbloke who pointed out that some sellers truck up to the "Rimping" sales area from below Hang Dong for Sat. p.m. sales. Two weeks ago, I saw an additional 15 unloaded.

Sales when I've visited (maybe 10 times) don't just rush past, so missing a special bargain is not much more likely than a later arrival arriving while you are there. However the stock does change over the weeks, so patience can be a good plan too.

The Sanpatong market starts very early, best to get there about 7am, its a more honest market than the mee chok plaza sale, all the bikes at mee chok have the clock wound back big style. This market starts about 9am but no use getting there before 11 as a lot of the bikes are bought at sanpatong, then doctored a little and then sold at a profit at the mee chok market. I know one of the Thai guys who used to work on the Mee chok market and he gave me a lot of info on the place.

The price of honda dream has gone up in the last year due to they stopped making them new this year.

The prices also went up on the Honda MTX dirtbike in 1986 because that was the last year they were made here :)