Is There A Thunderbird Expert In The House?

BKKGWM

I was wondering if someone in the forum would mind giving me some help. It seems that Thunderbird will only download my email in the wee hours of the morning as I am another victim of the TRUE lie of an ADSL internet connection.

Thunderbird seems unable to connect to Gmail and stay connected if my ADSL is below 100kbps, which is about 22 hours a day.

I have done extensive reading on Mozilla and Thunderbird forums as I was looking for a setting in Thunderbird to adjust for longer server time outs. After a couple of weeks of trying many things I think I have identified the problem? So far I have found no information. I am using Thunderbird build 1.0.2 Seems they feel they have solved all the Gmail problems with this release.

This all became a problem after I moved into a new home with a much lower ADSL speed. In my last home I felt lucky as I frequently read the forum and saw that others were posting about the terrible speeds from TRUE. I used to get a min of 210-270 kbps and of course was very happy.

Hardware: Belkin ADSL wireless modem router. Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop, Pent M 1.7, 1 GB Ram...etc

Zone alarm is my chosen firewall/antivirus, along with Microsoft Anti Spyware and Spybot. Suprizingly, all this procetive software does not seems to cause a noticeable speed drain or overhead as I have disabled it all at times to run some testing for speeds and trying to resolve my email client problem.

The Belikin modem has some seemingly nice features, allowing me to use features like virtual server, or application gateways however since I have experimented with disabline hardware and software protection independently and together without any good results from Thunderbird.

I had the phone lines replaced in my new home as the old ones were brittle and a mess.

Anyway any help is appreciated greatly. If anyone has a suggestion for another mail client that can/will handle 8 or more internet accounts I would be willing to jump ship! I am just not a fan of Outlook at all.

I enjoy the slower pace of living here, I am a long term resident so the whole internet fiasco is only mildly irritating. Once one knows something has worked before very well (THunderbird), We just strive to find the answer to the problem. All part of the fun of many years of computing :o

Thank you again in advance and I really enjoy all the expat forums. The owners and moderators are the recognized best sources of information and I really enjoy some of the very knowledgable people that frequent the site.

BKKGWM

oops sorry, After I posted this I read the rules for posting to the group. I forgot to mention I am using Win XP Pro with all relative patches, updates. Thanx

Edited by BKKGWM

I use Thunderbird for connecting to multiple mail accounts including Gmail, and have used it on dial-up as well as my current TT&T Maxnet 256/128K ADSL (which works just fine until the kids finish school and come online, and yes I'm sure you all think it's stingy but it sounds like I get the same performance as the TRUE 2Mb package)

I have made no changes to the standard Thunderbird connection settings, and have had no problems with connection. I get loads more problems with connection to Virgin, but I now forward it to Gmail.

One thing you need to know about Gmail is that unlike every other POP mail service I have used, you will not always get all your mail via POP every time you connect, it is not a configuration problem, it is that Gmail sometimes only makes some of your mail available and you have to wait.

Can you confirm if you have any problems with other POP mail accounts or if it is only Gmail, and also what error or condition occurs which you describe as being unable to connect?

You might also want to try using Thunderbird 1.06, and turning off all your anti-spyware, virus and firewall programs just for a test, and also testing it on dial-up - these may lead you to the problem.