Ao Nang / Railay Hotel Recommendations

SGD

I fancy a week or so away from Bangkok at the end of the month or in early November and thought I might head back south to Ao Nang in Krabi. I haven't been for a few years and I guess it will be more touristy than I remember but I used to like the place.

As I'm travelling with the family, including a child, I want a hotel with a pool and easy beach access. What I don't really want is a 200% price gouge just because it is a couple of days into November. I don't have a firm budget but nothing outrageous, say from $50 to $100 a day.

As we don't need nightlife, I was wondering about staying on Railay beach. Maybe not too crammed with tourists at this time but has it been really screwed up ? I'm also thinking about how often I'd want to hit Ao Nang / Krabi and whether I could put up with the boat guys and their antics or even whether I should forget about staying on Railay ?

As I said, I haven't been for a few years so some up to date information and a few hotel recommendations would be appreciated.

if you wished not to be hassled by boat guys, (i am not sure if they do?) why not stay at Aonang?? Raily bay area may good for peaceful atmospheres and all, but will get pretty bored times to time. you will get those rooms at price you mentioned(Krabi Thai Village,Aonang Cliff, Krabi Chada etc.....but these places is apart from the beach and you may need to walk 10mins or so..)

Edited by hellracer

I seem to remember the boats thinning out as the sun set and though it is a short trip, I've no real desire to take a long tail in the dark, especially with a child in tow. Also, the benefits of less nightlife (and more quiet) and the lack of cars on Railay seem to be somewhat offset by the inconvenience factor if we want to stay out after dark.

As for hotels in Ao Nang then, does anyone have any up to date recommendations not too far from the beach and preferably toddler friendly ?

I seem to remember the boats thinning out as the sun set and though it is a short trip, I've no real desire to take a long tail in the dark, especially with a child in tow. Also, the benefits of less nightlife (and more quiet) and the lack of cars on Railay seem to be somewhat offset by the inconvenience factor if we want to stay out after dark.

As for hotels in Ao Nang then, does anyone have any up to date recommendations not too far from the beach and preferably toddler friendly ?

Have a look at Lanta Cha Da resort on Koh Lanta at Latestays.com.

All rooms are suites with ample space for up to 2 children.

I know it's not Krabi, but nowadays I stay away from Krabi because prices have skyrocketed in the last couple of years because of the influx of scandinavian tourists, plus it's not the pristine environment anymore. Too bad really.

Just my opinion.

Yermany

I've stayed at a few places in Ao Nang.

Ayodhaya Suites Resort and Spa: This is on Noparathara Beach, so is fairly quiet. We found a deal for 117USD per night during high season. We loved the room and pool, but the staff were not that great. For that price I really expect better service. I'd say, it probably wasn't worth the price.

Ao Nang Buri: This is a small hotel also on Noparathara Beach. It is closer to the beach than Ayodhaya, but the beach isn't as nice. During low tide, the water recedes a great deal. But I'd definitely stay there again. The pools is okay, but kind of boring as it's just a rectangle, but it works for me. I count this as the overall best deal of the hotels I've stayed in at Ao Nang.

Srisuksant Resort: Right next to Ao Nang Buri, it's about the same quality as Ao Nang Buri, but a little more expensive and the pool is not as large as Ao Nang Buri's, but isn't that large to begin with.

Best Western Ao Nang bay Resort & Spa: This is one of two Best Western hotels in Ao Nang. It is situated on Thanon Klong Hang, a side road across from Krabi Resort. There is nothing wrong with this place except its location and it is a little expensive. The upper level rooms have nice views. Between this and Ao Nang Buri, I'd stay at Ao Nang Buri.

Krabi Resort: Right between Ao Nang and Noparathara beaches, it is a good location. It's got its own private beach and the pool is nice as well. Also, in the evening, it's a very short walk along the beach to a line of nice restaurants. However, I didn't care for the rooms one bit. I wouldn't stay here again because the rooms were so run down.

Krabi Heritage Hotel: Nice inexpensive hotel closer to the "downtown" area of Ao Nang. The rooms are not terribly special, but they were better than Krabi Resort. It has a smallish pool, but it gets the job done. It's not on the beach, but it's not a long walk to the beach. I definitely would stay here again, especially at the price they usually charge.

Places I'd like to try, but haven't yet: Ao Nang Villa Resort is next to Krabi Heritage a little close to the beach and appears to have a really nice pool. Golden Beach Resort looks nice from the outside and has a great location essentially right on the beach.

Thanks very much for all the comments.

Just to update, I haven't found anywhere which seems to offer much in terms of kids entertainment or facilities. When I thought again about what we really needed, I realised that we want that and so the search goes on, at least for a couple more days.

• 11 months later...

Try Ao Nang Naga Pura Resort & Spa very nice hotel walking distance from beach. We got great deal by their own website by booking honeymoon package.. I was traveling with my friend who is also girl, maybe thought we are lesbians. Anyway we got honeymoon treats and in the room was every day something small gift for honeymooners.

Hotel was quite new and rooms was really big and pool area was huge. Only bad things was night time outside areas was quide dark and we felt that hotel is ghost town, fist day there was some another customers but rest of the days place was totally dead.