To Write An Ebook

Pattayatony

Do they want it to be read on a PC, mobile device (such as a PDA) or both? There are quite a few ebook formats out there. Acrobat is the only one that will allow you to present a complex, professionally laid out publication.

If its a 'text only' book options include:

* A plain text file - its a popular eBook format in its own right

* Rich text files (RTF)

* MS Reader (I think there is a plugin to make ebooks directly from Word).

* HTML - from any HTML editor

* XML - there's some eBook schema somewhere (Haali Reader uses it, I think but I can't recall the name).

* Compiled help files (CHM)

There's a bunch of other eBook formats that I don't know how to create offhand - but I'm sure there are free tools around if you search:

* Rocket eBook

* ISilo

* etc.

I recommend he take a look at the Baen Free Library for inspiration.

* XML - there's some eBook schema somewhere (Haali Reader uses it, I think but I can't recall the name).

.fb2 format

xml might be a good idea to future proof the book.

I have been using haali reader to read books on my PDA and it is very good. I can hold it one handed in landscape mode and toggle the pages up and down via the directional button . At a resonable font size you get about half a paperback page on the screen. I would have read easily 40-60 books like this now.

I have a friend who wants to write an EBOOK what software would be needed and can it be bought locally? Cheers and thanks for any info. :o

here are a few freeware applications that night be of use, never used them i just know where to find em just click the link

ebook software

Thanks for your help guys. Keep the info coming as will need all the help he can get. :D