Ingratiating Yourself Into Thailand

Missing My Tom Yam

Now we all like to think of ourselves as individuals with our own free will and acting as we want to act. But the truth is that our behavior is not wholly independent, we all us behave according to set patterns, not always predictable, but always explainable.

It should come as no surprise that as immigrants to Thailand, our behavior mirrors that of immigrants to other countries, in particular our response to the dominant culture. First generation immigrants to Europe and the US display the exact same passive acceptance of the culture as is so often seen on this message board, with significant numbers of immigrants going a step further to not so much passively accept the culture, but actively promote its values, even when they run contrary to the immigrant’s best interests.

So we can always find immigrants who will support the restriction of immigration (pulling the ladder up behind them) and we can always find immigrants who will go as far as to promote the denial of immigrant rights (Don't rock the boat).

An immigrant ingratiating him/herself into Thai society by voicing opinions that run contrary to the best interests of the immigrant group of which they are a part, is nothing new. You can find a Bangladeshi taxi driver in New York, or a Pakistani bus driver in Bradford doing exactly the same thing.

And it doesn’t stop there.

The response of second generation immigrants is also very well documented. So if you are up their proclaiming “This is Thailand we are visitors, we don’t have rights, nor should we”.

Well, it’s nothing new, it’s a behavior that has been documented elsewhere and is the prelude of the second generation’s response to the rights the first generation preferred not to ask for.

Now we all like to think of ourselves as individuals with our own free will and acting as we want to act. But the truth is that our behavior is not wholly independent, we all us behave according to set patterns, not always predictable, but always explainable.

It should come as no surprise that as immigrants to Thailand, our behavior mirrors that of immigrants to other countries, in particular our response to the dominant culture. First generation immigrants to Europe and the US display the exact same passive acceptance of the culture as is so often seen on this message board, with significant numbers of immigrants going a step further to not so much passively accept the culture, but actively promote its values, even when they run contrary to the immigrant’s best interests.

So we can always find immigrants who will support the restriction of immigration (pulling the ladder up behind them) and we can always find immigrants who will go as far as to promote the denial of immigrant rights (Don't rock the boat).

An immigrant ingratiating him/herself into Thai society by voicing opinions that run contrary to the best interests of the immigrant group of which they are a part, is nothing new. You can find a Bangladeshi taxi driver in New York, or a Pakistani bus driver in Bradford doing exactly the same thing.

And it doesn’t stop there.

The response of second generation immigrants is also very well documented. So if you are up their proclaiming “This is Thailand we are visitors, we don’t have rights, nor should we”.

Well, it’s nothing new, it’s a behavior that has been documented elsewhere and is the prelude of the second generation’s response to the rights the first generation preferred not to ask for.

And your point is?

I follow what you say about first gen immigrants, but not second gen. - what will they do?

I presume you mean they will aggressively demand/persue the rights etc. that their parents didn't bother to secure....

Edited by wilko

I'm not an immigrant...I doubt if many posters on this site are immigrants. Most people are on NON-immigrant visas. Thailand isn't exactly open to immigrants, are they?

As for passively accepting Thai culture what else should one do? Tell them to change everything here to better suit us 'immigrants'? It's pretty obvious 'we' do not have any rights here (except through paying someone off to give them to 'us')--nor are 'we' going to change anything. This is very much UNlike the US/Canada/UK/Australia that do give rights to immigrants and to people just visiting.

Edited by frond

I'm not an immigrant...I doubt if many posters on this site are immigrants. Most people are on NON-immigrant visas. Thailand isn't exactly open to immigrants, are they?

As for passively accepting Thai culture what else should one do? Tell them to change everything here to better suit us 'immigrants'? It's pretty obvious 'we' do not have any rights here (except through paying someone off to give them to 'us')--nor are 'we' going to change anything. This is very much UNlike the US/Canada/UK/Australia that do give rights to immigrants and to people just visiting.

maybe it says most of you are cowards and wont stand up for your rights!

or perhaps it really says mai pan rai :o

Interesting. I'm a second-generation immigrant into the UK and am very happy with the rights I have - which are all those rights enjoyed by everyone else. My dad enjoyed those same rights, though an immigrant.

An immigrant into LOS I am not, being on a NON-immigrant visa. As and when I qualify for citizenship or the rules are changed, I will be at liberty to vote in my own interests. Until then, I know the rules. If I dislike them sufficiently, I can leave. This is no different to any other country, so far as I am aware.

Interesting. I'm a second-generation immigrant into the UK and am very happy with the rights I have - which are all those rights enjoyed by everyone else. My dad enjoyed those same rights, though an immigrant.

An immigrant into LOS I am not, being on a NON-immigrant visa. As and when I qualify for citizenship or the rules are changed, I will be at liberty to vote in my own interests. Until then, I know the rules. If I dislike them sufficiently, I can leave. This is no different to any other country, so far as I am aware.

Well said, Sadman. I think the key word here is "sufficiently".

We all have our issues and complaints about Thailand from time to time, but have come to the conclusion that the good things, whatever they may be (pu$$y, salary, family, lifestyle) outweights the negative aspects of living in Thailand (traffic, corruption, pollution, language roblems, etc).